It's been said before, but wow, we've been posting together a long time

And as much as many of you irritate me with the status-quo doom and gloom, basically mimicking Mouse from the Poorly Drawn Lines comic strip:

ever_feel.png

It's one of my favorite places to talk current events because we're all so used to each other and not questioning motives. Hope y'all are doing well in life.

• Like 5
  • True 2
  • Hugs 11

1 minute ago, Uaarkson said:

20 years this month since I first registered Uaarkson on IGN.

24 years since registering best3444 on IGN. :/

I enjoy everyone on other sections of this forum but yea, it's been a very long time. Eventually it will end. 

6 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I do not remember paying for IGN access back in December 2000 when I first registered.

Wasn't it free and then access to some features or some boards or maybe the whole thing was put behind a paywall or something? I remember it being fully free when I first registered and then it went to paid and I got to sneak in under the radar because I wrote a few terrible articles for them back when I was in college.

54 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Wasn't it free and then access to some features or some boards or maybe the whole thing was put behind a paywall or something? I remember it being fully free when I first registered and then it went to paid and I got to sneak in under the radar because I wrote a few terrible articles for them back when I was in college.

This is correct, as I remember it. It was initially free, but by the time I registered in April 2001 all the message boards I believe were put behind a paywall, alongside some additional features on the main website, etc. And yeah I never got a magazine, which I believe they had promised.

I mostly just lurked on IGN. I guess that might be true of me here too compared to the posting frequency of some others. But I definitely post here more than I ever did on IGN. I remember somebody posted a link to Bad Cartridge on IGN and I came here and never went back to IGN.

You could have an avatar and access certain boards if you paid for an IGN Insider thing, which was $20 for a year. People begged to be "adopted" by an insider, but like... shit, $20 even then for an entire year wasn't that much.

The CEB and DVD General Board were behind the paywall, and I enjoyed those two boards the most, even if the Vesti had some really fun and memorably weird moments. 

I joined the IGN boards in ‘06, but I don’t think I really overlapped with most of you there. I spent too much of my time there with the maniacs of the Wii Lobby. I joined the BC migration I think mostly out of boredom, not because all my friends were leaving. Now I’m bored again, but there’s nowhere else to go. Oh well, I guess I’m stuck with you d1pshits. :mhug:

I’m sure I’ve been an asshole to you* at one time since the IGN handheld days and I’m sure I’ll be an asshole to you again as I continue to get old and cranky. :kiss:

*each and every one of you.

I can't remember when I started going to IGN boards... I remembered when IGN was mainly just a N64 codes/walkthrough website. Probably boards around 2000 or 2001 as ShaneMcmahon006. Mainly lurker, but enjoyed the CEB, DVD, and Halo boards. I do remember paying $20 for insider too.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

You could have an avatar and access certain boards if you paid for an IGN Insider thing, which was $20 for a year. People begged to be "adopted" by an insider, but like... shit, $20 even then for an entire year wasn't that much.

The CEB and DVD General Board were behind the paywall, and I enjoyed those two boards the most, even if the Vesti had some really fun and memorably weird moments. 

When you're 14 years old in 2001 and having to ask your mom for their credit card so you can pay for online features of one website, it's a lot of money. :p As most here know I was mostly on the Anime Community Board and Anime General Board only for many years before eventually jumping to the DVD General Board (which is where all movie and TV discussion mostly happened). Most of those peeps did migrate to Bad Cartridge and then to D1P though most I remember from that time have now left, unfortunately. The strength and diversity of conversations during those days were so good, I miss that vs. the very little to absolutely nothing we get on the board these days. Everyone just goes: "this is how I feel" and moves on, I miss the days of dissecting scenes and really breaking things down. Everyone just presenting their feelings and moving on isn't really discourse.

Joined IGN back in early 2001 and was even adopted for insider by TheRealBruceCampbell . Joined the CEB then when I saw the link for this original board joined it. Been here since 

although I don’t post a lot I read here every day

• Hugs 1

I don't know if IGN made all the boards subscriber-only, I thought they had all the platforms just had a free version and paid version. I paid for an IGN subscription to avoid the rabble in the free forums, and also because I wanted in on that weird meta browser Rock-Scissors-Paper game that IGN was running. I thought it was such a cool idea, but ended up barely getting any matches and then they shut it down.

Forums-wise, I pretty much stuck to the PC boards and the GameCube board. I remember how much fun 3DMark01 benchmark leaderboards were.

16 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

It's been 23 years this months since I first signed up (and paid!!) for access to the IGN message boards. Good lord 23 years. I was 14 when I signed up and I am now 37 years old.

Wow, same. April 2001

FQ1EqR2.png

aahhhh that screenname :lol:

ooooo here's the oldest image of Mr. Wade Steel that I have

K9Jbmhi.jpeg

I just have a folder full of old message board stuff

some of you guys that hung around the PC community board might remember this crap

jyEA9BN.jpeg

• Shocked 1
  • Sicko 1
  • Hugs 1

Registered for IGN back in 2002 and discovered the CEB in 2009 I think. At first I mostly lurked because I was intimidated by how much everyone knew. When you grow up in a state with such a poor education system finding a place like CEB was such an important part of my intellectual development.

I think I joined the boards in 03 and got sponsored, remember that shit, in like 04. Don’t remember when I found the CEB/got active but guess during the Bush administration in like 09/10.

I remember a dude who made comics about the Vesti. Like he made this comic where somebody sees a crash and rushes home to post about it on the Vesti, that sort of stuff.

He also made a comic about @Karld316 saying if 50 mods post in his thread, he'd stop posting on the Vesti, and the number 50 mod was some guy saying, "I did mj's mom last night," and mj was one of the mods. He complained that it wasn't fair, that some people were made temp mods to articifically bump up the numbers and people kept it bumped so mods could see, and then one of the mods said to stop complaining and that they were close to making him a mod so he could be the 50th mod to post and get himself banned from the Vesti.

He was banned from the vesti.