Roe v. Wade is dead

2 hours ago, Comet said:

The thread on the Ukrainian invasion is way more optimistic than this one. Sad times we live in. 

Weapons shipments are the one thing the US can handle properly.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

You’re right actually and that’s very bad

I never thought about this...but it's correct. For other positions you're just shuffling the deck chairs. For SCOTUS you can literally change the makeup.

6 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

It’s because intelligence often comes with more caution.

it’s like:

hey RICKY! Wanna go get arrested?

vs

ohh, may I ask you Richard? Would you join me in a grand task that may lead to one’s death?

Just in case you’re wondering, Richard says no and Ricky’s already in the truck

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

States to avoid forever:

"Portends tighter abortion laws..."

Just wanna throat punch the headline author when I still read this hedging bullshit.

Yet more evidence that when Trump completes his inevitable overthrow of the government the headlines the next day will read, "America upgrades to Democracy Premium".

• True 1

Just a reminder when you see Wisconsin on that map, that the majority of voters in WI voted for Democrats in the last election, but the state is gerrymandered to the point where they have like a third of the seats and people who know the math on this stuff say it's basically functionally impossible for them to win a majority.

7 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

"Portends tighter abortion laws..."

Just wanna throat punch the headline author when I still read this hedging bullshit.

Yet more evidence that when Trump completes his inevitable overthrow of the government the headlines the next day will read, "America upgrades to Democracy Premium".

"Republicans are dissolving the Democratic party. Repubs say that's how you know democracy is working. There is only one party."

14 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Weapons shipments are the one thing the US can handle properly.

I never thought about this...but it's correct. For other positions you're just shuffling the deck chairs. For SCOTUS you can literally change the makeup.

This is satire but it is an obviously correct implication. And it’s also implicitly the game of chicken that the right is playing, pure power politics. 

anyway here’s something from the throwback machine

25 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

No violence is coming from the left. The right? Sure. Right-wing terrorists are already the biggest terrorist threat this nation faces, but from the left? What leftist figure would inspire that? There's no religious ferocity on the left. Not only that but our law enforcement agencies are all right-wing, so they'd stomp out any left wing violence faster than you can turn on water hose. Hell, they were stomping out peaceful left-wing protests not even that long ago.

My guy,  I am a son of black militant revolutionaries from the 60's and 70's... I know full well what the powers that be in this country do to progressive movements to stamp out dissent. I also know when the will ain't there to do something as simple as getting off your computer long enough to actually mobilze,, expecting a revolution is setting yourself up for failure.  That's why this reaction is so comical to me. Everybody is acting surprised that this happened when The Right has made no secret of their agenda at all. Trump said he wouldn't nominate justices to the court who wouldn't be willing to overturn Roe. He did exactly that. Why is everyone so shocked?

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

My guy,  I am a son of black militant revolutionaries from the 60's and 70's... I know full well what the powers that be in this country do to progressive movements to stamp out dissent. I also know when the will ain't there to do something as simple as getting off your computer long enough to actually mobilze,, expecting a revolution is setting yourself up for failure.  That's why this reaction is so comical to me. Everybody is acting surprised that this happened when The Right has made no secret of their agenda at all. Trump said he wouldn't nominate justices to the court who wouldn't be willing to overturn Roe. He did exactly that. Why is everyone so shocked?

I'm right there with you. What? Your number one goal is to appoint justices to uphold very far right institutions and ideals? Where's my shocked Pikachu face when that's exactly what happens.

• True 1

5 minutes ago, Jason said:
top-climber-salesforce.jpg?quality=85&st
WWW.NBCBAYAREA.COM

An anti-abortion activist scaled the 61-floor Salesforce Tower in San Francisco Tuesday morning before being arrested as he reached the top of the skyscraper.

im sorry but that dude was totally planning on doing that anyway and just tacked the protest angle on at the last minute 

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm right there with you. What? Your number one goal is to appoint justices to uphold very far right institutions and ideals? Where's my shocked Pikachu face when that's exactly what happens.

It's not surprise, it's desperation. If my south american history can't accredit this what the fuck are you waiting for.

35 minutes ago, unogueen said:

It's not surprise, it's desperation. If my south american history can't accredit this what the fuck are you waiting for.

The closest thing we've seen to left wing violence in recent history was some looting and fewer than a dozen police cars set aside during BLM protests and....ummm...

That's up against the right that has been steadily BOMBING abortion clinics for 40+ years now. The last major one was, when? That Planned Parenthood that was burned down over New Years a few months back?

There is no real way to measure the right's capacity for violence. Blame religion. The air of a religious righteousness has always been a great tool for politicians throughout history.  The US just happens to be a country founded by crazy, ultraconservative, racist Christians. Shocker that much of our government is still run by that sort of people.

• True 1

It's the money means wealth opulence that drives this weird impostor syndrome across so many. If the right thing is keeping vulnerable people from dying why stop at feeling? Talk to othewrs and strategize. I realize the average cog isn't ready for this, but no one's stopping you until they do.

6 hours ago, NextGen said:

If by "Wisconsin" you mean like, 3 or 4 counties then yea, sure. You'll see that hold true when Evers is voted out. Wisconsin as a state is very red, once you leave Dane and Milwaukee counties. It does get a bit purple up around the Minnesota border, but overall, at the county level, it's very much a red state.

Ahhh yes, the old if you don't count all the places were people live its a red state line.

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The closest thing we've seen to left wing violence in recent history was some looting and fewer than a dozen police cars set aside during BLM protests and....ummm...

That's up against the right that has been steadily BOMBING abortion clinics for 40+ years now. The last major one was, when? That Planned Parenthood that was burned down over New Years a few months back?

There is no real way to measure the right's capacity for violence. Blame religion. The air of a religious righteousness has always been a great tool for politicians throughout history.  The US just happens to be a country founded by crazy, ultraconservative, racist Christians. Shocker that much of our government is still run by that sort of people.

An Anti abortion terrorist bombed the Olympics in addition to abortion clinics and a gay bar too

For reference: Criminal law is an entirely federal manner in Canada (though provinces can enforce criminal law created federally). Abortion was illegal entirely until 1969, when new laws were passed legalizing it in some cases (health of the mother, etc). In 1988 the Supreme Court struck this law down as unconstitutional, and since then all abortions have been fully legal in all circumstances, with no government passing any restrictions (through 4 Conservative and 7 Liberal).

EDIT - Of course, this only helps well-off women, who aren't going to be impacted by this ban as much as poor women.

There’s still going to be a ton of not poor women who suffer because not being in poverty doesn’t mean that you can magically afford a trip to California or Ontario or wherever, to say nothing of their social ability to go to these places for an impromptu “vacation”.

It really does affect all but the actual *wealthy*. Like yes, the poor will suffer most. But do you know who this country fucking hates? The poor! It’s a womens issue not a poor woman’s issue!

• Halal 2

I don't see why Ontario would be preferable to New York state.

16 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There’s still going to be a ton of not poor women who suffer because not being in poverty doesn’t mean that you can magically afford a trip to California or Ontario or wherever, to say nothing of their social ability to go to these places for an impromptu “vacation”.

It really does affect all but the actual *wealthy*. Like yes, the poor will suffer most. But do you know who this country fucking hates? The poor! It’s a womens issue not a poor woman’s issue!

Why is this not a men's issue as well?

6 hours ago, Brick said:

Eh, they're not lying. They have carefully crafted weasel worded statements. They are saying that the law exists, and they respect the fact that it currently is established law... not that they won't try to remove or change the ruling. It's pretty clearly not purjury.

I mean, I guess saying they don't have an agenda is clearly a lie, but I mean, you know. How do you prove that?

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

For reference: Criminal law is an entirely federal manner in Canada (though provinces can enforce criminal law created federally). Abortion was illegal entirely until 1969, when new laws were passed legalizing it in some cases (health of the mother, etc). In 1988 the Supreme Court struck this law down as unconstitutional, and since then all abortions have been fully legal in all circumstances, with no government passing any restrictions (through 4 Conservative and 7 Liberal).

EDIT - Of course, this only helps well-off women, who aren't going to be impacted by this ban as much as poor women.

Anyone from any country can get an abortion in Canada.  Not sure why this is even getting an article.

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I suppose if you're in North Dakota or Montana it's easier to get to Saskatchewan/Manitoba than to drive to New York. Not that this will help everyone, but it's better than nothing.

33 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Re: nys vs Ontario isn’t the point but I’d imagine that someone from western Michigan would have an easier time getting to Windsor than Buffalo

it’s secondary a mens issue but men won’t die from a lack of access to safe abortions. It’s like asking “isn’t civil rights a white persons issue as well??” Cmon man

• Like 1
  • True 3

55 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Top 10 weekend getaway abortion destinations by The New York Times