Roe v. Wade is dead

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This pearl clutching is like when people on the IGN boards shredded someone for posting “spoilers” that Ganon was in Wind Waker before the game launched. oh noes, my precious norms! The house is on fire and these chucklefucks are gossiping about who left the kettle on, eat 100% of my shit. 

• Sicko 1
  • Halal 3

There is One branch of government and the others are playing around the edges. The judicial branch holds all the power unless you can check it’s institutional power and the only way that can happen with a mere *majority* vote in congress is by expanding the  size of the court. No law can otherwise fix this dynamic

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

No difference in outcome and a law to formalize the opinion in roe passed the house what is your fucking point

Also 2A stans out here being all “shoulda made a law, hurrrr,” as if the justification for owning handguns for self defense and weapons beyond what the framers could have imagined are built on a more solid foundation than Roe v Wade is top comedy. 

• True 1

A justice could still change their mind. Roberts is probably looking for a middle path and is trying to convince one conservative. It’s not likely but there are still a couple of months. I think the ACA survived at the last minute if I remember correctly. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

A justice could still change their mind. Roberts is probably looking for a middle path and is trying to convince one conservative. It’s not likely but there are still a couple of months. I think the ACA survived at the last minute if I remember correctly. 

Roberts only chance is if he can convince 1 of the 5 that kicking abortion to the states will light the country on fire. 

Prediction, if Republicans get Congress and the White House in 24, they'll kill the filibuster to start passing their conservative social agenda. 

9 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

If people like Jeffery Toobin are to be believed in what they're saying tonight, SCOTUS sees the leak itself as deeply damaging to their legitimacy. If they end up changing their mind after the original decision would make public, how exactly would that look for their legitimacy?

1 minute ago, Jwheel86 said:

Roberts only chance is if he can convince 1 of the 5 that kicking abortion to the states will light the country on fire. 

Prediction, if Republicans get Congress and the White House in 24, they'll kill the filibuster to start passing their conservative social agenda. 

They might do it anyway, but for stuff like overturning Obergefell, I don't see why they'd have to. There's already that law in Tennessee that creates like Marriage New Game+ or something for straight people. More state legislatures just have to start passing stuff like that and then getting it in front of this court.

32 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

I don't think there's any doubts on that.

4 hours ago, Firewithin said:

Who tries to bring back slavery first? my bet is Bama or Mississippi 

They'll justify it by allowing Whites to be enslaved, that way it's not racist. It's just that the Whites will be Libs/Democrats. 

5 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Lmao “that law Is also unconstitutional” do you not know how our system of government works? 

Its funny when people don't realize that SCOTUS is the constitution, and now that its full of chuds this is exactly what we'll get till they're dead or its expanded.

• Halal 2

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The media class in the US needs the chopping block.

I do wonder about the extent to which the press is “afraid” to talk about the extent to which things like birth control and certain gun control measures consistently measure somewhere between strong to overwhelming majority population support.

10 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I do wonder about the extent to which the press is “afraid” to talk about the extent to which things like birth control and certain gun control measures consistently measure somewhere between strong to overwhelming majority population support.

Everything needs to be framed into a close battle story. It's why, even when something is overwhelming, the mainstream American press often focuses on stuff like: "X may seem popular, but some people are very upset..."

Are we predicting that it's Manchin or Sinema that prevents this from passing? Either the bill itself, or eliminating the filibuster to pass the bill? If the filibuster can't be removed to keep abortion rights in place when 70% of the US population supports it (including women, of course, the new base of the Democratic Party), then how to the Democrats expect to win in 2022 or 2024?

So are we going back to counting people of colored as 3/5ths of a person? That's deeply rooted in history. 

edit - I just don't know what to do other than feel like boomers need to die out already and hope the next generation can right the ship. 

• True 1

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Are we predicting that it's Manchin or Sinema that prevents this from passing? Either the bill itself, or eliminating the filibuster to pass the bill? If the filibuster can't be removed to keep abortion rights in place when 70% of the US population supports it (including women, of course, the new base of the Democratic Party), then how to the Democrats expect to win in 2022 or 2024?

none of it matters.  we are not a democracy when the gov continues to actively do the opposite of what the majority of people want.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Noooo!  We must insist that abortion rights are solely decided by judicial decree, not through legislative action like in pretty much every other democratic country. 

OLOLOLOLOLOLOLO @ Susan Collins:

Collins, one of the more moderate Republicans in the chamber, explained her votes to confirm Donald Trump picks Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh as supreme court justices in 2017 and 2018 respectively by stressing they had given her assurances that they saw Roe v Wade as “settled law”, and that she had full confidence they would not vote to overturn it.

"If this leaked draft opinion is the final decision and this reporting is accurate, it would be completely inconsistent with what Justice Gorsuch and Justice Kavanaugh said in their hearings and in our meetings in my office.

Obviously, we won’t know each justice’s decision and reasoning until the supreme court officially announces its opinion in this case."

• Guillotine 2