Roe v. Wade is dead

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

100 fucking percent. As I've said often you get the government you deserve. Everyone pointing at elected officials needs to focus on themselves. This country deserves everything that's coming to it because "We the People."

Except for you know the gerrymandering, and the extreme over-representation of tiny shithhole states (especially in the Senate), and the voter suppression, and...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Except for you know the gerrymandering, and the extreme over-representation of tiny shithhole states (especially in the Senate), and the voter suppression, and...

Gerrymandering still involves The Right relying on a bunch of voters voting against their own interests and others taking their ball and going home when they don't get everything they want... my point still stands. Most people who vote Republican DON'T benefit from Republican policies but continue to do so... I wonder why :hmm:

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Gerrymandering still involves a the right relying on a bunch of voters voting against their own interests and others taking their ball and going home when they don't get everything they want... my point still stands. Most people who vote Republican DON'T benefit from Republican policies but continue to do so... I wonder why :hmm:

I mean everything they vote for is wholly rational and within their interests. There’s more dems in denial about what those policies are though

56 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
bergen.jpg
WWW.THESTAR.COM

It’s also not unusual for MPs to be instructed not to comment on international issues that have no immediate implications for Canada.

Meanwhile, the Bloc Quebecois wants to force a motion in support of the existing status quo—there are no laws in place in Canada that relate to abortion, which means that it is legal with no restrictions. I would not be surprised to see this change in the next year or two, with a bill passed to solidify that lack of regulation into official law.

Leave it alone, it's working fine the way it is.  Introducing laws will just fuck it up.

First someone will say that Abortion needs to be banned for sex selection purposes and after certain points in the pregnancy -- and then we'll slowly devolve into a huge debate that will only make things worse.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Gerrymandering still involves The Right relying on a bunch of voters voting against their own interests and others taking their ball and going home when they don't get everything they want... my point still stands. Most people who vote Republican DON'T benefit from Republican policies but continue to do so... I wonder why :hmm:

Alot of them were left behind by deindustrialization and the democrats shifting to college educated suburbanites. In fairness they are probably rascists but their sliding quality of life made them far more likely to the listen to thr "Hey it's not the bougious that is fucking you over. It's blacks, Mexicans, and other immigrants."

The next steps, as I see them (and Americans, please interject your opinions on this):

• Senate votes on bill to codify abortion rights federally, it fails (or has enough votes but can't get past filibuster)
  • Liberal states strengthen protections for abortion, conservative states outlaw abortion (in a race to be as draconian as possible)
  • GOP takes House and Senate in 2022/24 on the back of gerrymandering and an ancient electoral system design to reward white, male land owners
  • GOP takes Presidency in 2024 with either Trump or DeSantis
  • GOP introduces a nationwide ban on abortion. Democrats try to filibuster, GOP eliminates filibuster and passes bill. President signs
  • First Liberal state (I'm thinking California or New York) says they will ignore the law
    • Goes to court, SCOTUS says they must follow
    • State insists they will continue to allow abortions
  • ??? 
    • ??? FBI or National Guard, etc, ordered to act to close clinics?
    • ??? De facto state of unraveling of the federal/state structure of laws as other states indicate they will ignore some/other laws?

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Less than 100,000 voters spread over three states.

That's all it would have taken. No insurmountable gerrymandering amount. A fraction of a fraction of a fraction of 1% of the country accepting that you vote your concious in the primary and you vote for the lesser of two evils in the general.

Hillary picks Scalia and RGB's replacements, and maybe Kennedy and Breyer's.

You know what would improve gerrymandering and voter suppression? A solid, young 6-3 liberal SCOTUS.

And this is not just about hindsight and placing blame. Until liberals understand this, it will continue to get worse. It can get worse, folks.

1 minute ago, Chairslinger said:

Less than 100,000 voters spread over three states.

That's all it would have taken. No insurmountable gerrymandering amount. A fraction of a fraction of a fraction of 1% of the country accepting that you vote your concious in the primary and you vote for the lesser of two evils in the general.

Hillary picks Scalia and RGB's replacements, and maybe Kennedy and Breyer's.

You know what would improve gerrymandering and voter suppression? A solid, young 6-3 liberal SCOTUS.

And this is not just about hindsight and placing blame. Until liberals understand this, it will continue to get worse. It can get worse, folks.

Majority leader Mitch McConnell 

22 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I mean everything they vote for is wholly rational and within their interests. There’s more dems in denial about what those policies are though

How is a non college educated blue collar union worker voting Republican voting in his interests? How is a college educated woman who votes Republican voting in her interests? What about Log Cabin Republicans? So called "swing voters"? Black Republicans or ANY minority who votes republican? explain please.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The next steps, as I see them (and Americans, please interject your opinions on this):

• Senate votes on bill to codify abortion rights federally, it fails (or has enough votes but can't get past filibuster)
  • Liberal states strengthen protections for abortion, conservative states outlaw abortion (in a race to be as draconian as possible)
  • GOP takes House and Senate in 2022/24 on the back of gerrymandering and an ancient electoral system design to reward white, male land owners
  • GOP takes Presidency in 2024 with either Trump or DeSantis
  • GOP introduces a nationwide ban on abortion. Democrats try to filibuster, GOP eliminates filibuster and passes bill. President signs
  • First Liberal state (I'm thinking California or New York) says they will ignore the law
    • Goes to court, SCOTUS says they must follow
    • State insists they will continue to allow abortions
  • ??? 
    • ??? FBI or National Guard, etc, ordered to act to close clinics?
    • ??? De facto state of unraveling of the federal/state structure of laws as other states indicate they will ignore some/other laws?

Do you have a working title for this novel? Sounds pretty cool.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Alot of them were left behind by deindustrialization and the democrats shifting to college educated suburbanites. In fairness they are probably rascists but their sliding quality of life made them far more likely to the listen to thr "Hey it's not the bougious that is fucking you over. It's blacks, Mexicans, and other immigrants."

We're still on this huh? :lol: Ok. I concede... it's the economy. EDIT: Oh and Tax cuts... forgot about those tax cuts.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

How is a non college educated blue collar union worker voting Republican voting in his interests? How is a college educated woman who votes Republican voting in here interests? What about Log Cabin Republicans? Black Republicans or ANY minority who votes republican? explain please.

Tax cuts for the upper middle class ski doo dealership owners, race baiting and christian nationalism for downwardly mobile working class whites. There’s a lot of overlap here too in rhetoric, temporarily embarrassed millionaires and whatnot.  I can’t speak for what minority republicans are thinking but people don’t just vote for these fucks for no reason. Often tax cut related

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Tax cuts for the upper middle class ski doo dealership owners, race baiting and christian nationalism for downwardly mobile working class whites. I can’t speak for what minority republicans are thinking but people don’t just vote for these people for no reason

See my above post.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

We're still on this huh? :lol: Ok. I concede... it's the economy. EDIT: Oh and Tax cuts... forgot about those tax cuts.

I can with 100% certainly tell you that "tax cuts" was EXACTLY what a gay man that I once worked with told me straight to my face when I asked why he voted for Republicans.

I kid you not.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

lol

Hey guys: this shit should be galvanizing for Democrats. Because even with gerrymandering, if every Dem got off their ass, it would still be overwhelming at the ballot box.

Not enough did in 2016. Tiny states are overrepresented, but Arizona/Georgia/Virginia also show that you can get Senators in other states where you used to not be able to win.

Even just talking about how hopeless it is dangerous, as if Democrats ever learn. 

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

Toomey and Johnson.

In most scenarios where Hillary gets the votes she needs in WI and PA that nets at least two more Senate seats and there you are.

YES.

If Hillary won, she'd also have a Dem Senate. The reason I think this: every Senator who won a competitive race in 2016 also won with the presidential candidate in their party. Trump won Pennsylvania and Wisconsin barely, and so did Toomey/Johnson. However, Dems won in Illinois and Nevada, and so did Hillary.

Which makes me yearn for that landslide many of us were hoping for in 16.

• Thanks 1

Liberals love to lose. 

That's the whole persona around RBG: dissenting in the face of the majority opinion. Resisting after having lost. That is a noble thing to speak up and say the right things. But when they do that, it still means they've lost!

Republicans govern (for worse). Democrats lose and pontificate.