Roe v. Wade is dead

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This is SOOO true.  One of the reasons why fanbiys getting upset about the "wokification" of games and genre media is so irritating to me.

Although i've been a minority wherever i live, i've never fe0tl particularly culturally ostracized due to lack of representation. A good chunk of that is that there were bootleg stores that would rent out recordings of my ethnic language tv. My parents went out of their way to teach me the language and history ,if not outright culture. I'm not about to assume any accepted nationhood of mine will bend itself for my cultural tastes, so I think getting parents active in cultural enrichment during formative times is very integral. Probably more that any amount of pop culutre wash.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This is SOOO true.  One of the reasons why fanbiys getting upset about the "wokification" of games and genre media is so irritating to me.

I do need to cosign this. Really liked Encanto. Hope we get sequels and spin offs. 

• True 1

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean, in trying to create some wiggle room between Loving/Griswald and this ruling Alito all but dictated as precedent in a SCOTUS opinion that the main point of personhood amendments is accurate.

Why is Roe bad law while Loving and Griswald are(maybe?) not? Because Roe murders a baby.

When you set your ruling on that foundation I don't see how the 5 votes here could not uphold personhood if it comes before them....

6 minutes ago, unogueen said:

The more pressing thing is that precedent  just went out the window.

It’s never been in the window

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Obviously. For one you think conservatives are gonna gonna go "Welp our job is done here! Its an issue we no longer care about". They are going to need something to get their base going and logically the only way to do it is to take it further.

Furthermore the whole states rights thing has always been bullshit from the beginning (see Fugitive Slave Act). Just as their championing free speech because of Twitter and Facebook banning hate speech and misinformation. They take whatever postion that is convenient to further their true aims and they can't sell their true aims directly because they know how unpalatable they are to the general public. See conservatives tripping over themselves talking about the leak itself but not wanting to talk about the contents of the leak. They know how unpopular their shit is.

• True 2

35 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Just as their championing free speech because of Twitter and Facebook banning hate speech and misinformation.

Speaking of which what will be the first state to threaten or try to pass a law for a search engine with accessory to murder for giving results on how or where to get an abortion?

44 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Obviously. For one you think conservatives are gonna gonna go "Welp our job is done here! Its an issue we no longer care about". They are going to need something to get their base going and logically the only way to do it is to take it further.

Furthermore the whole states rights thing has always been bullshit from the beginning (see Fugitive Slave Act). Just as their championing free speech because of Twitter and Facebook banning hate speech and misinformation. They take whatever postion that is convenient to further their true aims and they can't sell their true aims directly because they know how unpalatable they are to the general public. See conservatives tripping over themselves talking about the leak itself but not wanting to talk about the contents of the leak. They know how unpopular their shit is.

Imagine going back in time and telling someone the Republican Party's platform would eventually become "Own the libs".

2 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

Imagine going back in time and telling someone the Republican Party's platform would eventually become "Own the libs".

Again they'll re-legalize slavery so that can literally own the libs. 

• True 1

2 hours ago, Comet said:
greg-abbott-public-education.jpg?w=1024
WWW.ROLLINGSTONE.COM

Texas Governor Greg Abbott wants to overturn Plyler v. Doe, a court decision requiring states to provide free schooling to all children.

fuck all of this party

Beto has to be embarrassed with the poll numbers right now. 

The education bit is about racism towards Mexicans and not wanting to educate us after the US squired TX and the SW. They want to do what they did originally and that's strip us of our citizenship and send us to a land that isn't ours. Whites are still colonialists. Mexicans successfully sued TX and thus ESL was born, which is how I went to school. 

This is about hurting us for a generation so they can declare us animals and make a white state. 

• True 1

supreme-court-abortion.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Abortion is an old battle. Pills are the new one. Most abortions are now with pills taken at home and we're about to witness a multi-front feud throughout the United States. Abortion foes may find it harder to crack down on pills than on clinics — and some Americans see Canada as a front in that battle.

A milestone was crossed during the pandemic, as people cut down on their movement and began seeking services from home, including online medical prescriptions.

For the first time, pills became the main method of abortion in the U.S. — 20 years after they were first approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

That home-use medication was used in approximately 54 per cent of abortion cases in 2020, according to surveys by the Guttmacher Institute, a pro-choice research group.

That new reality means new legal tensions.

It'll take years to resolve such disputes if red states ban abortion and abortion pills — only to find they can't stop the shipment of pills.

Here's one example. What will courts say if a red state seeks to stop a federal agency, the U.S. Postal Service, from shipping pills that are perfectly legal in the U.S. and federally approved?

The prediction from a law professor at the University of Chicago: Those anti-abortion states won't manage to do much.

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
WWW.CBC.CA

Abortion is an old battle. Pills are the new one. Most abortions are now with pills taken at home and we're about to witness a multi-front feud throughout the United States. Abortion foes may find it harder to crack down on pills than on clinics — and some Americans see Canada as a front in...

There’s many states that don’t allow the shipment of alcohol period and Usps won’t ship it at all, and all it takes is an act of congress to say these pills are forbidden from being shipped via usps much the same as alcohol(or banned as a method of abortion period). So we’re in the clear until 2025, pending presidential election results. Plus you can never tell how this ideologically driven court will rule on attempts by red-run states to regulate such things. 

52 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
WWW.CBC.CA

Abortion is an old battle. Pills are the new one. Most abortions are now with pills taken at home and we're about to witness a multi-front feud throughout the United States. Abortion foes may find it harder to crack down on pills than on clinics — and some Americans see Canada...

After pills it's condoms. Catholics view all contraception as an abortion-lite.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

After pills it's condoms. Catholics view all contraception as an abortion-lite.

I love shitting on Catholics as much as anyone, but this isn’t really a Catholic led movement is it?

4 minutes ago, Comet said:

I love shitting on Catholics as much as anyone, but this isn’t really a Catholic led movement is it?

5 of the 5 yes votes, including the opinion writer, are Papists to some degree