Florida might end Disney's self-governance of land over company's stance against "Don't Say Gay" bill

This would be another instance of doing the long-overdue right thing for the absolute worst reason possible.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

Disney's copyright protection for the 1928 version of Mickey Mouse will expire in 2024, and Republicans want to make sure of it. Does it matter?

2 hours ago, Jason said:

This would be another instance of doing the long-overdue right thing for the absolute worst reason possible.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

Disney's copyright protection for the 1928 version of Mickey Mouse will expire in 2024, and Republicans want to make sure of it. Does it matter?

This somehow ends with Disney getting it extended indefinitely while allowing Disney to privately tax the city of Orlando.

• Haha 2

• 10 months later...

This is how I found out Anne Frank was gay.

3000.webp
APNEWS.COM

A high school along Florida’s Atlantic Coast has removed a graphic novel based on the diary of Anne Frank after a leader of a conservative group challenged it, claiming it minimized the Holocaust. “Anne Frank’s Diary: The Graphic Adaptation” was removed from a library at Vero Beach High School after a leader of Moms for Liberty in Indian River County raised an objection. The school’s principal agreed, and the book was...

49 minutes ago, ort said:

I don't know if this is the best thread for this, but whatever... here ya go... enjoy this banger of an ad from a Trump Super PAC...

I saw this ad and had to asky my buddy who lives in Florida what the whole Pudding thing was about... I was not dissappointed. That's the SECOND attack ad I've seen against DeSantis from Trump's people.

I’m an openly trans teacher at a low income middle school here in Florida. It’s anxiety inducing having to constantly worry about every single thing I say and I fear my days as an educator here are numbered. I’m currently learning how to code so I can hopefully make a career change and move to a safer state for queer people. But I may not be able to make this change until after the end of the next school change at the earliest, and with the anti trans legislation here becoming increasingly more extreme by the week I fear it won’t be soon enough.

• Hugs 9

H2LRXUPPM3A3S7RH27X5677KGE_size-normaliz
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

It expands an existing ban. Experts say it imperils free speech and could affect curricula in English, history and other classes.

The board voted Wednesday to adopt a new rule that says Florida teachers in grades 4 through 12 ″shall not intentionally provide classroom instruction … on sexual orientation or gender identity” unless this instruction is required by state academic standards — it is not — or the lessons form “part of a reproductive health course” from which a student’s parent can opt out their child.

Reproductive health lessons are unlikely to mention sexual orientation or gender identity, Florida Chancellor for K-12 Public Schools Paul Burns said at the meeting Wednesday, given that “abstinence is the required expectation of what we teach in our schools” when it comes to health classes.

• Guillotine 1

8 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

trump won’t survive to 2028. Of that im convinced. 

The 2024 election is so dangerous because the GOP knows just how bad their prospects are for the future when they run Trump again and if he loses.

I agree with you....even the GOP aren't delusional enough to run Trump again in 2028.....but trying to access their party after a 2024 loss would be like the biggest hangover ever after a raging house party the next morning when you have to take stock of the damage and clean things up.

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

The 2024 election is so dangerous because the GOP knows just how bad their prospects are for the future when they run Trump again and if he loses.

I agree with you....even the GOP aren't delusional enough to run Trump again in 2028.....but trying to access their party after a 2024 loss would be like the biggest hangover ever after a raging house party the next morning when you have to take stock of the damage and clean things up.

It's definitely dangerous if Trump runs again and wins, but how is it dangerous if he loses? (Besides all of the inevitable calls of voter fraud because he didn't win)

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

I think you missed what im saying, so ill be more clear.

I don’t think that obese piece of shit will live to 2028. I fully expect his body to be cold under a golf course before then. No way he can go much longer.

im still hoping for Massive Coronary to be the hero of 2024 though. Take em both, as long as Trump is first.

• True 2

5 hours ago, osxmatt said:
H2LRXUPPM3A3S7RH27X5677KGE_size-normaliz
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

It expands an existing ban. Experts say it imperils free speech and could affect curricula in English, history and other classes.

Only a matter of time before they try banning LGBT teachers altogether. Title IX is really the only thing standing in their way. If the Supreme Court rules against Title IX, or when really at this rate, they will be coming for us next.

I’ve had to have a private conversation earlier this school year with administrators in my school district about what I can and can’t say as a trans teacher. Title IX protects me to tell the students what my preferred name and pronouns are, but I can’t actually tell them I’m trans because of “Don’t Say Gay.”

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

46 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

Only a matter of time before they try banning LGBT teachers altogether. Title IX is really the only thing standing in their way. If the Supreme Court rules against Title IX, or when really at this rate, they will be coming for us next.

I’ve had to have a private conversation earlier this school year with administrators in my school district about what I can and can’t say as a trans teacher. Title IX protects me to tell the students what my preferred name and pronouns are, but I can’t actually tell them I’m trans because of “Don’t Say Gay.”

I wish someone could offer you words of encouragement, but yeah. You really just need to get out of this state ASAP. And in the meantime...

tumblr_lwzkt7IMc51r8z1cwo1_250.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

49 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I've heard a lot of Floridians complaining about this. Is he addressing this AT ALL?

The legislature got rid of “one-way attorneys fee” meaning it’s even more onerous for policy holders to sue insurance companies. 

1 hour ago, Kamusha said:

55 minutes ago, Reputator said:

I wish someone could offer you words of encouragement, but yeah. You really just need to get out of this state ASAP. And in the meantime...

Yeah I was gonna say the same thing but didn't want to come off as flip. I know how hard it is to relocate to another state having done it twice. I hope @Kamusha can move to an area more accepting and open. I had no idea Florida was so fucked up until my buddy moved there. Like most everyone else when you think of Florida you just think of Miami, Tampa and Orlando and the state is so much bigger and redder than those places. Stay strong!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

On 4/19/2023 at 8:29 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I was gonna say the same thing but didn't want to come off as flip. I know how hard it is to relocate to another state having done it twice. I hope @Kamusha can move to an area more accepting and open. I had no idea Florida was so fucked up until my buddy moved there. Like most everyone else when you think of Florida you just think of Miami, Tampa and Orlando and the state is so much bigger and redder than those places. Stay strong!

On 4/19/2023 at 7:31 PM, Reputator said:

I appreciate the support. Being queer and growing up in a conservative state has only made me stronger. I may have the heart of a lover but circumstances has molded me into a fighter out of neccesity. I'm worried, but I have to have faith that I will survive.

What worries me much more than my own personal is the safety of those I love. I have several trans students and I'm sad that they have to be growing up in a such an-openly hostile state.

• Hugs 2

Man do I hate rooting for a mega corp to win lawsuits, but in this case I really am rooting for Disney. It's pretty nuts for a government to go so hard after a company just for expressing an opinion. My instinct is that this will be a difficult lawsuit for Disney to win, since even if the motivation is very clear, I'm not sure if any of DeSantis' actions were actually illegal.

It really is crazy how far DeSantis has taken this crusade against his state's largest employer and biggest economic draw.

The whole thing is a culture war nonsense fight anyhow, it seems bizarre to direct so much ire to such a powerful, well funded, and well loved institution as Disney. Smart politicians usually bully those that have a harder time fighting back.

4 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Man do I hate rooting for a mega corp to win lawsuits, but in this case I really am rooting for Disney. It's pretty nuts for a government to go so hard after a company just for expressing an opinion. My instinct is that this will be a difficult lawsuit for Disney to win, since even if the motivation is very clear, I'm not sure if any of DeSantis' actions were actually illegal.

It really is crazy how far DeSantis has taken this crusade against his state's largest employer and biggest economic draw.

The whole thing is a culture war nonsense fight anyhow, it seems bizarre to direct so much ire to such a powerful, well funded, and well loved institution as Disney. Smart politicians usually bully those that have a harder time fighting back.

I'm also surprised to be rooting for the main proprietors of Applebee's City.

I've seen lots of campaigns to get Disney to move. And the two loudest states that want Disney (North Carolina and Texas) are also run by chud-infused legislatures. What would possibly be the draw there? Plus, Disney isn't moving.

3 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'm also surprised to be rooting for the main proprietors of Applebee's City.

I've seen lots of campaigns to get Disney to move. And the two loudest states that want Disney (North Carolina and Texas) are also run by chud-infused legislatures. What would possibly be the draw there? Plus, Disney isn't moving.

Obviously Disneyworld isn't moving anywhere, but they've previously delayed moving a couple thousand jobs from CA to FL (for construction reasons), so it's entirely possible they take those kinds of jobs elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Obviously Disneyworld isn't moving anywhere, but they've previously delayed moving a couple thousand jobs from CA to FL (for construction reasons), so it's entirely possible they take those kinds of jobs elsewhere.

Right. But these campaigns I’m seeing seem to think a new Disney park is coming. I don’t see it.