Florida might end Disney's self-governance of land over company's stance against "Don't Say Gay" bill

My mental health has really taken a hit this week from the accumulation of all the anti trans news in the last few weeks. I may have to take a break. It’s just all too much for me and I don’t always feel strong enough to handle it all.

There are members of Congress literally labeling me and anyone who supports me a pedophile. What the fuck. I am so disgusted with the world the world right now. I try my best to be a good person and make the world a more accepting place and this is the shit I have to deal with in return? This is just all too much for me to handle.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

12 minutes ago, Kamusha said:

If you have any trans friends in your life right now please let them know how much they mean to you. We are hurting and scared right now.

I mentioned before that I have a trans cousin that came out a year and a half ago (came out the same day that Trump was declared the loser of the 2020 election, which can't be a coincidence).  I'm so worried about her and her fiance now.

I too have a cousin that is trans and came out a few years ago. Plus I recently worked with them at my current job for a few months too. Even being Canadian I know they’re scared too because we also have asshole politicians who want to go backwards again. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was gonna make a snarky "raising taxes on my own constituents to own the libs" kinda comment, but reading through the replies in the thread, both of these counties lean Dem, so this is probably intended to be collective punishment for these counties voting wrong.

• True 1

8 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

I was gonna make a snarky "raising taxes on my own constituents to own the libs" kinda comment, but reading through the replies in the thread, both of these counties lean Dem, so this is probably intended to be collective punishment for these counties voting wrong.

Lean dem or not he only won by 35,000 votes. How many people live in those counties? Must be a lot to finance $2b off $2200 tax bills. 

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

This could all very well for show anyway:

This will all be forgiven and forgotten by next year anyway.

My buddy who lives in Florida said as much anyway. it's all a smoke screen to distract from the crazy assed gerrymandering stunt Disantis just pulled that basically gives the Republicans a voting edge in 20 out of 26 of Florida's counties :|

• True 1

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

This tweet is idiotic.

Harry Enten is only there to talk numbers. CNN has covered all of this, a ton. And so is local news in the state. That Enten is the numbers guy at CNN doesn't stop all other reporters from covering this, which they have extensively.

This is a tweet written by someone who just wants to get people pissed off about news that they don't even watch and don't understand is being covered.

• True 2

What content has Disney even put out that features gay characters or a "gay agenda"? From the other end, I know the LGBT community is constantly criticizing them for not having any gay representation anywhere.

What's funny is that I know like 5 or 6 hardcore, hard-liner completely deranged right wingers who are obsessed with Disney. I know they are hating everything about this and good. Fuck those people.

Also, this is a very strange issue to use as an alleged distraction from the gerrymandering. Context:

1) Gerrymandering is getting plenty of coverage in Florida.

2) News coverage isn't going to stop people from taking it to court. 

3) This also plays into Floridians' property insurance skyrocketing on levels not seen anywhere else in the country.

Average home insurance increase nationwide: 4-5%

Average home insurance increase in Florida: 25% and counting

Insurance companies in Florida are being liquidated. They're dropping customers. They're raising their rates by hundreds and in some cases more than $1000. Property insurance going up in Florida also leads to rent going up. And not only are Democrats leaning into affordable housing and Florida's home insurance crisis, but this is being tied to it:

He was also dragged kicking and streaming to call a special session to address property insurance in the state after bills failed in the Florida legislature. That has led to coverage about his contributions from realtors:

not-real-news-68405.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

A spike in industry political donations comes amid the state's affordable housing crisis.

And the idea that he's been too concentrated on culture issues and not on issues that affect all residents.

This is the weirdest form of political theater if it's to distract people from the "real issues" since property insurance skyrocketing is a huge motherfucking issue in the state.

The property tax situation is hitting seniors especially hard as their assessed property value for tax purposes is now exceeding the property value cap which makes them eligible for the Additional Homestead Exemption for those 65 years old and older.

Many of these seniors have low incomes, but the assessed value of their property has skyrocketed which means that they will be hit with a property tax bill they simply can't afford to pay.

I also just don't get it from a purely political standpoint. Disney is the giant beloved multi-billion dollar corporation with massive spending power. They are also Florida's single largest employer. Why would you want to get into some sort of petty schoolyard fight with them over meaningless bullshit? What happens when they decide to dump 100 million bucks into a super pac because you spat in their eye?

They could have just ignored their public statement and no one would have noticed or cared., It would have been swept away in the non stop shit slurry that is our 24/7/365 news cycle. It would have been like a little whisper fart in a tornado. instead they grabbed it, stood up on a mountain top and started wagging the letter around? For what?

What does this benefit them? I mean, I guess it's more of their us vs them non-stop grievance BS, but I really don't see the end game here, unless the game is just non-stop angry hysteria, which I guess I'm answering my own question as I think it through, but seriously, what the fuck is wrong with these people?

16 minutes ago, ort said:

What content has Disney even put out that features gay characters or a "gay agenda"? From the other end, I know the LGBT community is constantly criticizing them for not having any gay representation anywhere.

What's funny is that I know like 5 or 6 hardcore, hard-liner completely deranged right wingers who are obsessed with Disney. I know they are hating everything about this and good. Fuck those people.

Not much in any of their films. Disney has been upsetting their own creatives by curbing LGBT content and characters. In Turning Red, there are a couple remnants of an LGBT subplot you can find. In Lightyear there's a kiss shared between two wives that was nearly cut for the same reasons. The Marvel movies haven't exactly been that much better.

On the TV front they're a little more liberal. Owl House has a same sex couple. In Loki, Loki admits to being bi in a very small throw away line of dialog.

11 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Not much in any of their films. Disney has been upsetting their own creatives by curbing LGBT content and characters. In Turning Red, there are a couple remnants of an LGBT subplot you can find. In Lightyear there's a kiss shared between two wives that was nearly cut for the same reasons. The Marvel movies haven't exactly been that much better.

On the TV front they're a little more liberal. Owl House has a same sex couple. In Loki, Loki admits to being bi in a very small throw away line of dialog.

From what I understand, they curb some of these because overseas markets (particularly China) is unwilling to show LGBT+ content.

30 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

And what little LGBT+ representation there is can usually be readily excised to make it palatable for those markets.

You'd think a megabillion dollar corporation would be able to do so with either a few edits and/or working with localizations.

I will confess that I haven't really watched any new Disney movies in the last couple of years, so I don't know exactly what would need to be changed for each movie.

I feel like there's an attack/troll vector here. 

"Disney censors LGBT content from their movies in the Arab and Chinese markets. Since Conservatives share so many values with China and Islamists, should Disney offer them a censored version as well?"

• Haha 1