Florida might end Disney's self-governance of land over company's stance against "Don't Say Gay" bill

24 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I suppose my definition is the textbook one: the struggle for dominance between opposing social groups over ideas, values, morals, ethics, etc.

I’m talking specifics. And it’s not as if these so called social issues aren’t important (excepting a particularly privileged class who are a lot like me) 

A specific example of a culture war could be:

A governor raises a ridiculous unnecessary law.

One group of people decide to use a hyperbolic nickname that is not a good faith description of the law.

One portion of the media decide to pick up the hyperbolic nickname, and refer to the law in that way.  This will confuse many celebrities, who campaign on the belief that the law actually reflects said law.

A group of employees will demand that their company, which has no interaction with the law, should come out against it.  The company changes direction, and does.

In response, another group of people will come up with an even more ridiculous hyperbolic name for the law, which is even worse faith than the original group.

People will argue about said law in the media and social media, as if any of the entire process is in good faith.

Caring about buzzwords and people arguing on twitter instead of the substance of the terrible law itself seems like a problem you could self resolve. Not wanting people to speak out against terrible laws that literally exist for no other reason than to get political points by targeting lgbtq+ people seems like something you could self resolve as well.

Edit: To put it another way, the problem is some people are upset at the reaction to terrible things instead of the terrible things themselves. Not much you can do there, they are simply in error.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

A specific example of a culture war could be:

A governor raises a ridiculous unnecessary law.

One group of people decide to use a hyperbolic nickname that is not a good faith description of the law.

One portion of the media decide to pick up the hyperbolic nickname, and refer to the law in that way.  This will confuse many celebrities, who campaign on the belief that the law actually reflects said law.

A group of employees will demand that their company, which has no interaction with the law, should come out against it.  The company changes direction, and does.

In response, another group of people will come up with an even more ridiculous hyperbolic name for the law, which is even worse faith than the original group.

People will argue about said law in the media and social media, as if any of the entire process is in good faith.

This is either a hilariously bad-faith interpretation of what's happening in Florida or just analysis from someone who hasn't really followed it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stepee said:

To put it another way, the problem is some people are upset at the reaction to terrible things instead of the terrible things themselves

Like I've often said, we now live in a world where it is some how just as bad if not worse to call a racist a racist than to actually BE racist.

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

This is either a hilariously bad-faith interpretation of what's happening in Florida or just analysis from someone who hasn't really followed it.

You are right a better description is "Everyone is now non binary" bill

I say let the bill stand without suing an watch how it hilariously backfires as teacher remove all aspects of gender identity and sexuality from their classrooms.  Better to be safe than sorry afterall as we can't risk offending anyone. 

3 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I say let the bill stand without suing an watch how it hilariously backfires as teacher remove all aspects of gender identity and sexuality from their classrooms.  Better to be safe than sorry afterall as we can't risk offending anyone. 

Oh my sweet summer child.

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Like I've often said, we now live in a world where it is some how just as bad if not worse to call a racist a racist than to actually BE racist.

To a huge chunk of the population and including moderates this is absolutely 100% it. We need to normalize openly calling racist people racist all the time to drive them in a frenzy. Even that simple idea, calling racist people racist, is frowned upon so heavily it’s crazy. 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

We need to normalize openly calling racist people racist all the time to drive them in a frenzy.

I'm old enough to remember a time where it WAS ok to call a racist racist. A brief moment in history post the King assasination in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Talk Radio and Cable News took care of that though by making White People an agrieved minority somehow.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

14 minutes ago, Joe said:

Oh my sweet summer child.

GettyImages-1239175504.jpg?1648849152
WWW.DAILYKOS.COM

The American conservative “advocates for parental rights in schools” known as Moms for Liberty have been busy working on making sure your children are protected from things like critical race theory (CRT), and any talk about gender identities (and...

Posting for the comedic effect. I don't really know much about this blog though I've heard its name.

45 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm old enough to remember a time where it WAS ok to call a racist racist. A brief moment in history post the King assasination in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Talk Radio and Cable News took care of that though by making White People an agrieved minority somehow.

And those aggrieved “white minority” are the same people who popularized calling others snowflakes. What a world. 

Part of it has also been the goal post shifting of what being racist even is. To some people being racist isn’t enough for someone to be considered racist, they have to either use the n word publicly or commit some sort of violent racist act. Anything else and you are just way out of line calling someone a racist no matter how racist they are.

Its like part of it is I think for a couple generations racist white people have been trained on the idea that not saying the n word is a get out of jail free card. They purposefully perfected the art of the dog whistle to get around being labeled as a racist and they will be damned if they spent all that time not yelling the n word at the top of the lungs just to be called a racist.

• True 2

39 minutes ago, stepee said:

Its like part of it is I think for a couple generations racist white people have been trained on the idea that not saying the n word is a get out of jail free card. They purposefully perfected the art of the dog whistle to get around being labeled as a racist and they will be damned if they spent all that time not yelling the n word at the top of the lungs just to be called a racist.

It's why they were so treatened and triggered by Critical Race Theory which would expose how deeply racist attitudes and policies have embedded themselves in American society.  It's why Fox news has labled CRT as a bigger threat to school kids than Gun violence, Drugs, Global Warming and the Coronavirus combined.

• True 2

It’s always worth reminding that this stuff is for testing the constitutional waters for the avidly right wing court system and scotus that was legally installed from candidates who cumulatively lost the vast majority of votes in this country. It’s no surprise that this stuff is happening while the foundations for repealing Lawrence v Texas and obgerfell and roe and Casey and griswold are being attacked relentlessly by fervent Christian nationalist ideologues at the federalist society who see the signals from the courts that many of these so called “settled” cultural issues are fair game.

Save me the absolute fucking horse shit that this isn’t meant to attack non gender conforming people. Or that attacks on “ CRT” are not attacks on teaching factual non whitewashed history. Or that attacking “cancel culture” isn’t about muting criticism in their efforts to do these things! It is! Scratch the surface of these things and it bleeds homophobia, transphobia, racism, and all other forms of prejudice!

• True 3

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It’s always worth reminding that this stuff is for testing the constitutional waters for the avidly right wing court system and scotus that was legally installed from candidates who cumulatively lost the vast majority of votes in this country. It’s no surprise that this stuff is happening while the foundations for repealing Lawrence v Texas and obgerfell and roe and Casey and griswold are being attacked relentlessly by fervent Christian nationalist ideologues at the federalist society who see the signals from the courts that many of these so called “settled” cultural issues are fair game.

Save me the absolute fucking horse shit that this isn’t meant to attack non gender conforming people. Or that attacks on “ CRT” are not attacks on teaching factual non whitewashed history. Or that attacking “cancel culture” isn’t about muting criticism in their efforts to do these things! It is! Scratch the surface of these things and it bleeds homophobia, transphobia, racism, and all other forms of prejudice!

But who will do something about conservativephobia from the so-called tolerant left?

22 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

What does the bill actually do? It seems pretty vague.

16 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

:clap: