Florida might end Disney's self-governance of land over company's stance against "Don't Say Gay" bill

15 minutes ago, Jason said:
newFile-30.jpg?quality=75&width=1200&aut
WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK

Republican suggests people reach ‘certain level of maturity before making life-altering decisions about their sexuality and identity’

Still waiting on the what age Republicans become that ‘certain age of maturity’

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Michigan is the "sane" part? The state where they were gonna kidnap their governor? If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

I think it puts all of his posts about Canadian politics into perspective knowing that he thinks Michigan is the sane part of the US. :thinking:

47 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think it puts all of his posts about Canadian politics into perspective knowing that he thinks Michigan is the sane part of the US. :thinking:

Several of my good friends are FROM Michigan and one just got back to LA after being there for most of the Pandemic. He HATED it and couldn't wait to be back in California. Dude owns two houses, one here and one in Michigan and despite the fact that he's unable to stay in his California house because he's renting it out, he would rather sleep on friends couches in Los Angeles than stay in a whole ass house in Michigan :lol: He talks all the time about how batshit crazy Michigan is once you get outside of the big cities. I can't wait to show him THIS take :lol:

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Several of my good friends are FROM Michigan and one just got back to LA after being there for most of the Pandemic. He HATED it and couldn't wait to be back in California. Dude owns two houses, one here and one in Michigan and despite the fact that he's unable to stay in his California house because he's renting it out, he would rather sleep on friends couches in Los Angeles than stay in a whole ass house in Michigan :lol: He talks all the time about how batshit crazy Michigan is once you get outside of the big cities. I can't wait to show him THIS take :lol:

Michigan is one of the most politically moderate places in the US -- particularly Southeastern Michigan.

I didn't live in the UP, so I can't talk to whether that was batshit crazy.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

What do you think the sane part of the US is?

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The prevalence of "crazy" Florida stories is largely due to the state's very open "Sunshine Law" where everything becomes public information and therefore becomes disproportionately amplified relative to other states that don't have similar provisons.

Sure, but that doesn't explain why you haven't heard about an organized plot to kidnap Newsom.

42 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The prevalence of "crazy" Florida stories is largely due to the state's very open "Sunshine Law" where everything becomes public information and therefore becomes disproportionately amplified relative to other states that don't have similar provisons.

The fact that Florida is aware of this fact and does not change it tells you everything you need to know about Florida.

Western Michigan is one of the most insanely reactionary parts of the country. The moderation that exists in southeastern Michigan exists everywhere else in the country. There’s nothing special about it, and there’s no liberal hubris that exists in this country that makes up for having to share power with republicans or being moderate. It’s all vibes, tone, and projection of moderation. 

Remember this state had a full on right wing occupation of the statehouse in April 2020 protesting covid lockdown rules. 

12 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Bingo.

tbh, it's weird that Florida draws more ire than places like Oklahoma, Mississippi, or Arkansas considering much of the ire is political and there are many, many Democrats and progressives in Florida. Trump won Florida by 3 points; that means that while 5.7 million voted for Trump. 5.2 million voted for Biden. You'd think Florida was a monolith by the silly posts on the board.

11 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

The fact that Florida is aware of this fact and does not change it tells you everything you need to know about Florida.

Open sunshine laws allow the public and journalists to know what's going on in government proceedings and behind closed doors; it provides easier access for journalists to report news.

It's not as simple as Florida Man stories. Stuff like shoving needles up your butt and claiming they're not yours are probably things you do in your spare time anyway, but are protected by stricter laws, you know?

8 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Bingo.

tbh, it's weird that Florida draws more ire than places like Oklahoma, Mississippi, or Arkansas considering much of the ire is political and there are many, many Democrats and progressives in Florida. Trump won Florida by 3 points; that means that while 5.7 million voted for Trump. 5.2 million voted for Biden. You'd think Florida was a monolith by the silly posts on the board.

Open sunshine laws allow the public and journalists to know what's going on in government proceedings and behind closed doors; it provides easier access for journalists to report news.

It's not as simple as Florida Man stories. Stuff like shoving needles up your butt and claiming they're not yours are probably things you do in your spare time anyway, but are protected by stricter laws, you know?

You can take the man our of Florida but you cannot take the Florida out of the man. :p

12 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Western Michigan is one of the most insanely reactionary parts of the country. The moderation that exists in southeastern Michigan exists everywhere else in the country. There’s nothing special about it, and there’s no liberal hubris that exists in this country that makes up for having to share power with republicans or being moderate. It’s all vibes, tone, and projection of moderation. 

Remember this state had a full on right wing occupation of the statehouse in April 2020 protesting covid lockdown rules. 

Which are the parts that are participating in the present culture war? As an outsider, it seems to be coming from the South (on the right) and the North East and West Coast (on the left).

All I know, the place I lived (SE Michigan) was not participating in this batshit-insane culture war that is being perpetuated in US media and social media.

40 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Which are the parts that are participating in the present culture war? As an outsider, it seems to be coming from the South (on the right) and the North East and West Coast (on the left).

All I know, the place I lived (SE Michigan) was not participating in this batshit-insane culture war that is being perpetuated in US media and social media.

I wouldn’t know about 90% of the culture war nonsense were it not for *this board* and their obsession with it :p