Florida might end Disney's self-governance of land over company's stance against "Don't Say Gay" bill

8 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Man do I hate rooting for a mega corp to win lawsuits, but in this case I really am rooting for Disney. It's pretty nuts for a government to go so hard after a company just for expressing an opinion. My instinct is that this will be a difficult lawsuit for Disney to win, since even if the motivation is very clear, I'm not sure if any of DeSantis' actions were actually illegal.

It really is crazy how far DeSantis has taken this crusade against his state's largest employer and biggest economic draw.

The whole thing is a culture war nonsense fight anyhow, it seems bizarre to direct so much ire to such a powerful, well funded, and well loved institution as Disney. Smart politicians usually bully those that have a harder time fighting back.

I'm not even at the level of an armchair lawyer, but I feel like they have a pretty good free speech angle that should make any legitimate judge stop and give consideration. And the agreement Disney's outgoing board made before the Tourism Oversite Committee took over doesn't seem as easy to nullify as DeSantis would like to think.

I would never bet against Disney when it comes to legal matters. They are notoriously litigious and have some of the best lawyers around.

There is a reason why this was announced on the same day that DeSantis’s board reversed a decision made by the board of Disney. This lawsuit was locked and loaded in the chamber for months and months - they were just biding their time and waiting for the DeSantis appointed board to make a decision that would negatively affect their business. You can’t sue for damages until damages have occurred.

And because Disney has patiently been waiting for this day to come, they only have more material than ever before to build their case. Ronda Santis hasn’t been able to shut up about Disney, even declaring that he will use his control over Disney’s land to control the content that they produce. Yet had nothing negative to say about them prior to them speaking out against Don’t Say Gay. If Disney is announcing the lawsuit now it’s because they know they have a case they can win.

• True 1
  • Halal 3

KZI242SN3FLKNILYE6ROE4U6Z4.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Now that the year-long war of words between Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and the Walt Disney Co has landed in the courts, the Republican leader might find his...

Here’s an article basically saying what I already posted, but giving examples of DeSantis attacking Disney and citing legal experts.

I’m certainly not qualified to speak but the more I read about this the more clear cut it seems, and it seemed pretty goddamned clear cut before. DeSantis really didn’t think this through.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

IMG-7612.jpg

Lol that is so dumb too it’s not blatant enough that it’s supposed to be like bad towards Disney. Like if I (in a dream world) didn’t know anything about this whole fiasco, I would assume it’s just because he’s drom Florida and he’s advertising his close positive relationship or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a shocker:

disney-1-1.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Just over a week ago, Bob Iger rhetorically asked the adversarial  Gov. Ron DeSantis if Florida really wanted Disney’s considerable business and tax revenue, or not. Now, without mentioning the wou…

• Sicko 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

29 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Not a shocker:

disney-1-1.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Just over a week ago, Bob Iger rhetorically asked the adversarial  Gov. Ron DeSantis if Florida really wanted Disney’s considerable business and tax revenue, or not. Now, without mentioning the wou…

DeSantis cost Florida a $1 BILLION development by Disney, and 2,000 jobs.

• True 1

55 minutes ago, unogueen said:

I'd worry about desantis using the courts as a promotional tool for his primary. Or not

I don't think any of this is good for DeSantis. Instead of challenging Trump for the presidency he is stuck in a knifefight with Mickey Mouse.

It is an oft repeated political blunder that Republicans go after public television funding. They are painted as "going after Big Bird" and even many Republicans don't like it.

DeSantis is doing something similar. Only he's going after an entity even more beloved than Big Bird. Oh, and they are just about the most litigious business on the planet with the legal team to back it up.

The violation of free speech Disney is claiming in their lawsuit is extremely hard to prove.....unless you are a governor dumb enough to write a fucking autobiography bragging about how you used the legislature to punish a private business for stating an opinion.

Oh, and for good measure Disney just reminded Ron in that story CV posted that if he, somehow, gets everything he wants and is successful in court, and puts Disney in their place what exactly does he win? Chasing the biggest employer in the state out? How many jobs and tourist dollars lost?

That is the win scenario for him here.

Love him or hate him, Trump has the right idea about stuff like this. I don't think he is particularly smart, but I think it's an example of how he is the idiot whisperer for the Republican party. All his character vices and character flaws appeal to the GOP base not because Trump crafts it to be that way....but because that is who the GOP base is now. It's why you so often hear people love Trump for his "authenticness" and why DeSantis is having little success copying it.

But anyway, in this case what Trump instinctually understands that has completely tripped up DeSantis is that these type of red meat, rightwing hobby horses are hit and run tactics. You come out there, you make a statement, get the base riled up, let the right wing news cycle make hay out of it...and then you move on claiming victory without having done anything of true substanc.

Think about it. As many petty stupid, petty fights as Trump picked in office, how many times did he actually devote weeks of legislative wrangling trying to turn his scuffle into law?

It's a bit crazy to think about it now, but this really did all start over one mealy mouth press release by Disney. The right move politically would have been to come out, make some cutting remarks about how Disney is against the law because they are worried it will hurt the sales of all their woke movies and moved on.

Instead, DeSantis dug in, tried to actually punish Disney with laws, and every step of the way since then has just dug a deeper hole as they react and he is forced to lob one back. Not to mention Disney outright clowning DeSantis at multiple points.

• True 1

The problem with DeSantis and Disney is he hasn’t learned the main lesson from Trump which is do basically nothing and claim victory.  Ron thinks he needs an actual, real victory, and instead he’s making himself look incompetent and stupid.  He should have signed the first thing, taken a victory lap, and ignored literally everything Disney did to secure their power after the fact.   

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

My buddy in Jacksonville said this is NOT going over well locally. A DeSantis backed Republican for mayor of Jacksonville just lost in an upset. Ron DeSantis is going to flame out spectacularly.

What's crazy about the mayor race here is that Republicans had a +3.2 or something in turnout but it the Democrat still won by a few points. The election was decided by independents, who didn't seem to truly turn on DeSantis until this year. The 6 week abortion bill really woke a lot of people up, and the Disney news only escalating makes him look so bad.

The mayoral election was also a reaction to the last Republican mayor who was involved in a huge scandal as he tried to sell our local power company. But the DeSantis backlash is certainly a huge factor.

• Like 1
  • Halal 2

Yeah I heard it was independents that made the difference and people think it was the abortion bill that really tipped the scales. I've been saying for years this guy is not ready for primetime. Also Trump's war machine has been going after HIM more than Biden. You know who sees those ads? Republicans and Independents.

• Like 1
  • True 1

It's not that Republicans aren't horrible people, it's that you shouldn't underestimate the disengagement of most voters.

Republicans love pwning the libs and ginned up outrage, but a classic case of a failure of basic politics is that independents and even Republicans are wondering, "Wait, I thought we were bullying trans people here. How did the main event turn into a showdown with the company that makes the movies my kids watch every night before bed?"

• Halal 1

18 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

I don't think any of this is good for DeSantis. Instead of challenging Trump for the presidency he is stuck in a knifefight with Mickey Mouse.

It is an oft repeated political blunder that Republicans go after public television funding. They are painted as "going after Big Bird" and even many Republicans don't like it.

DeSantis is doing something similar. Only he's going after an entity even more beloved than Big Bird. Oh, and they are just about the most litigious business on the planet with the legal team to back it up.

The violation of free speech Disney is claiming in their lawsuit is extremely hard to prove.....unless you are a governor dumb enough to write a fucking autobiography bragging about how you used the legislature to punish a private business for stating an opinion.

Oh, and for good measure Disney just reminded Ron in that story CV posted that if he, somehow, gets everything he wants and is successful in court, and puts Disney in their place what exactly does he win? Chasing the biggest employer in the state out? How many jobs and tourist dollars lost?

That is the win scenario for him here.

Love him or hate him, Trump has the right idea about stuff like this. I don't think he is particularly smart, but I think it's an example of how he is the idiot whisperer for the Republican party. All his character vices and character flaws appeal to the GOP base not because Trump crafts it to be that way....but because that is who the GOP base is now. It's why you so often hear people love Trump for his "authenticness" and why DeSantis is having little success copying it.

But anyway, in this case what Trump instinctually understands that has completely tripped up DeSantis is that these type of red meat, rightwing hobby horses are hit and run tactics. You come out there, you make a statement, get the base riled up, let the right wing news cycle make hay out of it...and then you move on claiming victory without having done anything of true substanc.

Think about it. As many petty stupid, petty fights as Trump picked in office, how many times did he actually devote weeks of legislative wrangling trying to turn his scuffle into law?

It's a bit crazy to think about it now, but this really did all start over one mealy mouth press release by Disney. The right move politically would have been to come out, make some cutting remarks about how Disney is against the law because they are worried it will hurt the sales of all their woke movies and moved on.

Instead, DeSantis dug in, tried to actually punish Disney with laws, and every step of the way since then has just dug a deeper hole as they react and he is forced to lob one back. Not to mention Disney outright clowning DeSantis at multiple points.

Yep Trump understands that results don't matter. Its all vibes. Desantis should have just shit on Disney, made some meaningless moves against them, clamed victory, and moved on.

It’s going to be great to see DeSantis completely flame out in this primary. We just need the photo of him phone banking for Trump to REALLY seal the deal.

And the best part is he’ll be so humiliated after this that he’ll never be able to sniff the idea of going for the  presidency again.

• Hugs 1

4 hours ago, MarSolo said:

And the best part is he’ll be so humiliated after this that he’ll never be able to sniff the idea of going for the  presidency again.

Absolutely none of these people have shame, being the victim of a backboard shattering dunk will not stop people from running again. See Biden getting rinsed in 1987 because of speechwriting and academic scandals, which precisely zero people cared about in the 2020 campaign and didn't stop him from running twice more between then and finally getting the W.

• True 1

5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Absolutely none of these people have shame, being the victim of a backboard shattering dunk will not stop people from running again. See Biden getting rinsed in 1987 because of speechwriting and academic scandals, which precisely zero people cared about in the 2020 campaign and didn't stop him from running twice more between then and finally getting the W.

Biden wasn’t embarrassed by Trump like everyone else in the 2016 primary was.

It's not shame that could ruin DeSantis for a 2028 run. It is being painted as a loser and a traitor by Trump to the base. 

And Trump, holding a grudge like he does, might spend the rest of his life making sure his hardcore base doesn't support DeSantis even if Trump is no longer on the ballot.

46 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Biden wasn’t embarrassed by Trump like everyone else in the 2016 primary was.

26 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

It's not shame that could ruin DeSantis for a 2028 run. It is being painted as a loser and a traitor by Trump to the base. 

There is simply no reason to think that being painted a loser or being embarrassed by Trump is going to stop someone from running for president again. The electorate's memory is not that long, people will not care.

EDIT - I'm reminded that in a 2018 poll, more than 50% of democrats had a favorable opinion of George W. Bush. Less than 20 years after the dude started the war on terror and less than 5 years after Operation Enduring Freedom ended and it was a coin flip if DEMOCRATS thought well of the man. Nobody is going to give a fuck who Trump dunked on.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 10:21 PM, CitizenVectron said:

Chaser:

Screen-Shot-2023-05-19-at-4.24.01-PM.png
DEADLINE.COM

DisneylandForward includes two major expansions of the resort's parks and will will generate $253 million annually in economic output, according to one survey.

As a SoCal resident, I'm kinda pumped at the idea that Disney is going to throw more money at Anaheim. It'll be great to experience a revitalized Disneyland with my nieces once they're old enough.