Neither Sony nor Microsoft seems particularly interested in actually launching the next generation this autumn

Commissar SFLUFAN

Let's face it: neither Sony nor Microsoft really seems to have their heart in actually launching the next generation this autumn...and honestly why would they?!?  Look at these headwinds working against an enthusiastic launch:

(1) A global pandemic that appears to be showing no significant signs of abating.

(2) An international economic situation that can be described as "precarious" at best and  is probably closer to "catastrophic".

(3) Political and social unrest in many parts of the world, exacerbated by (1) and (2).

And quite frankly, the level of enthusiasm among the gaming community is pretty muted if not completely non-existent for the most part, largely because of the same factors listed above and because this current generation is still trucking along quite nicely.  I really get the sense that Microsoft and Sony are launching this autumn because they feel they "have" to as opposed to actually "wanting" to.

So, Sony and Microsoft, please don't feel compelled to launch the next generation this autumn - it's quite alright to postpone it to spring  or even summer 2021.  We'll be just fine!

I mean, have you SEEN our backlogs?!?!

• Haha 1

I think 1 is why they have every reason to launch due to video game console and game sales skyrocketing since the pandemic began.

Hell besides that, Cerny coming out to talk PS5 and the games reveal were two exciting things to happen while we were swamped with COVID news/death. And while I have zero interest in the Series X, I'm reading some of the fan reaction to stuff like Avowed, and at least it's something positive for gamers to talk about and be excited for.

4 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

My level of excitement hasn't really been going up at all, it may even be dropping.  We still don't have launch prices and I couldn't name you more than 2 or 3 launch games between either system. We are like 3 months from launch here, it's crazy. 

The entire price situation absolutely boggles my mind.

You have two multi-billion dollar companies essentially playing chicken with each other to see who will blink first in revealing their price.  This implies at their respective corporate-level strategies for the consoles are essentially dependent on what the "other guy" does.  To me, that's an utterly ludicrous/insane way to approach any type of corporate initiative.

Even allowing the the unprecedented disruption caused by the "COVID Crisis", so much of this next generation launch seems totally half-assed.

• Thanks 1

Please don't delay them. They are literally the one single bright spot I have to look forward to this year. I am very excited for them.

46 minutes ago, legend said:

:shrug: I"m more excited for these consoles than I was at the launch of the current gen.

This.

Look assholes, we know the fuckin things are gonna be $500 so just tell us already. Probably not helping that neither company has anything great to launch with. 

Honestly I just want a PS5 to see if it eliminates the load times in Bloodborne.

1 hour ago, legend said:

:shrug: I"m more excited for these consoles than I was at the launch of the current gen.

I’m less, if only for knowing mid-gen cycles are a thing now.  I seldom buy at launch anyways, so I’ll probably hold out.

To a lesser degree, we’re (apparently) not getting a launch game like Ryse or Killzone Shadowfall to make a strong case for the hardware early on.  Sometimes you just want the shiny tech demo.

I think I’d be more tempted to check out Control for that. Even though it’s more current gen plus.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

I’m less, if only for knowing mid-gen cycles are a thing now.  I seldom buy at launch anyways, so I’ll probably hold out.

To a lesser degree, we’re (apparently) not getting a launch game like Ryse or Killzone Shadowfall to make a strong case for the hardware early on.  Sometimes you just want the shiny tech demo.

I think I’d be more tempted to check out Control for that. Even though it’s more current gen plus.

Yeah I'm not sure what launch games are going to look like so it might make sense to wait for many, but whereas the current gen launch hardware left me underwhelmed for the first time since ever, this new gen looks exciting again.

This is going to be the first console launch that I have no need nor desire to participate in. I am completely fine with a "wait & see" type approach. We won't even see major system sellers for another couple years and anything that is released for the new gen in that time can be snatched up down the road (if it doesn't also release on current hardware as well.)

Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised if I don't snag a Series X until whenever the next Forza Motorsport hits at the earliest while with PS5, I'll just wait with bated breath for the next Naughty Dog title to be announced! 

Meh. Just stop the games (no pun intended) and announce prices and release dates. 

Coronavirus won’t stop people from buying stuff. Heck, didn’t Apple have one of their most profitable quarters? Along with many others. 

This gen does need to happen. The hardware we have as base machines are embarrassing. 

People will buy. They will move units. But, this whole “in the dark” shit 3 months out is asinine. 

By this point, they already know what games will make launch. Prices. Etc 

Just tell the public. Put up pre-orders. Let’s go. 

15 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Until there are games, I couldn't really give a shit. And I'm not seeing anything particularly compelling right away.

To be fair. I maybe average buying 1 game every 2-3 months unless there’s a DEEP SALE. Then it’s backlogged anyhow. 

Guess I just want to see games that are optimized for  “somewhat” modern hardware. My PC is aging. 

But my PC can STILL run laps around the base model consoles. 

Even on just an i5 CPU and GTX 1070. It will absolutely destroy the same game at far higher res and FPS when compared to base consoles. 

I am ready to see games actually designed and made on “base” hardware that can top my PC 

it’s the main reason I’ve not upgraded yet. But now with ray tracing and other things, it’s making me want to put in a new CPU/GPU. But until the base games are used for said hardware, it’s a waste of money. 

I can wait.  I truly expected to see more gameplay from both by now since their releases are supposedly so close; we're still getting teasers and in-engine trailers. 

PS5 is a guaranteed buy.  Since I built a great gaming PC during quarantine(my first one since 2007), I'm up in the air regarding Series X; I have Game Pass Ultimate.

10 hours ago, legend said:

Yeah I'm not sure what launch games are going to look like so it might make sense to wait for many, but whereas the current gen launch hardware left me underwhelmed for the first time since ever, this new gen looks exciting again.

I’d much rather be underwhelmed by hardware than games.  But yeah, the current gen didn’t really offer either at the start.

I'm in the same boat as most here.  I don't see much software that really gets me excited coming out this year.  I will get the hardware day one... mostly because that is just what I do.  I will be excited for the shorter load times in current games.  I'm not sure what it is - maybe all the talk about load times recently, but sitting through load times recently has felt especially painful.  Other than that for the Xbox I think the games I am really excited about are Avowed and Fable, and those probably are not coming out for a couple years.  Hell they may be launch games for the mid cycle refresh.  Ugh.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

I’d much rather be underwhelmed by hardware than games.  But yeah, the current gen didn’t really offer either at the start.

I definitely would not rather that. The hardware sets a precedent for the whole generation. Games will come with time.

9 minutes ago, legend said:

I definitely would not rather that. The hardware sets a precedent for the whole generation. Games will come with time.

Agreed. Software can change or be altered as needed, the base hardware system on launch is the generational anchor.