PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

4 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Apart from Horizon, I didn't really see any games that felt like any kind of step up from what we're seeing now on the PS4 (I know, from a technical level that won't be true, but for an informed person, nothing wowed me). I'm not going to buy a PS5, probably until next August at the earliest, but the reveal didn't really change how I felt about that and it seems my next purchase, when they're back in stock at a reasonable cost, will still be a Switch 

Really? Not Ratchet and Clank, nor Project Athia, nor Kena, nor Stray?

Did you watch in like compressed 360p? :p

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I thought Ratchet & Clank was pretty incredible. The reflections were almost definitely raytraced too

Those reflections didn't come through in watching the stream yesterday -- I had way too many compression artifacts.

The overall lighting, reflections on Clank and on the mirrored slide were really impressive.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Those reflections didn't come through in watching the stream yesterday -- I had way too many compression artifacts.

The overall lighting, reflections on Clank and on the mirrored slide were really impressive.

Wasn't raytraced, none of the portals were reflected on the ground like other objects.

If it were raytraced all objects should have reflections right? 

24 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Wasn't raytraced, none of the portals were reflected on the ground like other objects.

Developers can pick and choose where and how they use ray traced effects.  Reflections don’t have to be applied universally.  In the next gen consoles, they likely won’t be for most games.

Even Control on PC mixes RT with voxel/screen-space reflection tricks to make the game performant.  In addition to upscaling (DLSS) pulling its weight.

How much raytracing we see next gen might come down to how good upscaling algorithms get.  Or how happy devs are with 1080p and lower...

20 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Well, you'll have to tell them that, because they said it was :p 

See at this time stamp (52:25):

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Because Clank was ray-traced, doesn't necessarily mean the reflections on the slide were ray-traced.

That's right, doesn't have to have been. Not sure if that's what JP was specifically referring to though. 

36 minutes ago, legend said:

That's right, doesn't have to have been. Not sure if that's what JP was specifically referring to though. 

Yeah, I admit I don't know a lot about the tech and what ray tracing totally is.  I saw something on twitter showing screen shots of everyting else being reflected on the ground, but the Portals themselves glaringly missing.  So the person suggested its baked reflections on the ground, not ray traced.  

I heard them mention Clank would have ray traced reflections, but I assumed that also meant that the entire game isn't using ray tracing.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Maybe it looks like an electric radiator because of all the heat it gives off? Like you can play a game and heat your home at the same time.

Yup,

Like my old school gaming PC's....lol!! In winter I was loving it, in summer I could get away!! I like the look, It's white and I now am gonna need a white series X as my gaming PC is white, my game room entertainment center is tet again white, so i'll now have to wait for a special edition and grab it then. I knew going in that I had mt new 2080Ti PC so the series X could wait for a bit. I'm liking the digital;l look of the PS5. What a fun generation we headed in my fellow gamers!

7 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Yeah, I admit I don't know a lot about the tech and what ray tracing totally is.  I saw something on twitter showing screen shots of everyting else being reflected on the ground, but the Portals themselves glaringly missing.  So the person suggested its baked reflections on the ground, not ray traced.  

I heard them mention Clank would have ray traced reflections, but I assumed that also meant that the entire game isn't using ray tracing.  

Gotcha. Yeah the path to ray tracing in games is probably going to be it being used in little slices in different ways, and it is certainly quite possible to throttle and be selective about how its used, so you'll probably see a lot of games where you see its effects in some ways, but missing in others.

4 minutes ago, legend said:

Gotcha. Yeah the path to ray tracing in games is probably going to be it being used in little slices in different ways, and it is certainly quite possible to throttle and be selective about how its used, so you'll probably see a lot of games where you see its effects in some ways, but missing in others.

Yeah, I assumed this would be the case.  When Minecraft RTX brings a lot of high end systems to their knees, I don't expect either console to push RTX very far.  

This best not be the price.

I know it's likely a placeholder but I've seen quite a few on Twitter saying $600 or higher.  I don't think it's in anyway gonna be more than $500.  

Realistically, how high would it have to be for you to skip it.  I think $500 is my max, maybe $600.

Xbox is primarily my main console do I do think I'd pay $600 for that.

PS5 will be my main next gen console, but I probably won't pick it up until it's $300-400.

At one time, I was thinking of getting the system at launch along with a 4k TV. Would have been my first console launch purchase since the N64, I think. But between not having universal BC and this virus kind of fucking up my financial situation it moved way down my list of priorities. 

No biggy, though. Between deals, Plus, and Now I have more games than I could possibly play anyway.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

5-DD65-D84-9-E12-40-ED-9403-A3-C8752-ABE

:daydream: 

People keep bitching about this, but the number of copies it sells on next gen systems alone will still probably be more than 99.9% of games can ever hope to sell(10-30 million?).

I don’t see myself buying a new console this year. Since it looks like most games will come to the PC, I might use this time to upgrade mine to at least be somewhat current. Then once the PS5 has built up a decent library of true exclusives and has had a price drop or two, I’ll grab one. 

12 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I don’t see myself buying a new console this year. Since it looks like most games will come to the PC, I might use this time to upgrade mine to at least be somewhat current. Then once the PS5 has built up a decent library of true exclusives and has had a price drop or two, I’ll grab one. 

Yeah, I’m just ready for new GPUs to release. I don’t need a PS5 right off the bat, I just want a moderate PC upgrade. 

7 hours ago, SimpleG said:

That sentence shouldn't make sense but here we are

Right?

Anyone who hasn't watched this yet, like I hadn't until a few days ago, needs to do so. It's not just about nice reflections or fancy lights, it's about how everything interacts with the world, which explains why it's such a huge hit to performance. But seeing the functional camera obscura they just casually built was amazing in a way nothing else in years has been for me. The only thing that felt "next-gen" like this in the PS5 presentation for me was the Ratchet and Clank transitions, which were a lot of fun, even if the multi-second buffers between dimensions were a far cry from "zero load times," it was still dramatically faster than anything we've seen lately.

I hope consoles are able to use some ray tracing in selective ways to incorporate it not just into visuals, but into actual gameplay. It doesn't take a genius to watch that Minecraft video and start seeing multiple ways the lighting and reflections could be used in puzzles or, for a game like Minecraft, how you design whatever you're building, which I think is an incredible testament to the tech. If consoles can keep using a select bit of the tech, then I'm confident PC versions could use it more expansively on more surfaces or whatever. Consoles REALLY need to use it though to keep its development (and development tricks/shortcuts) progressing until the next generation. Almost wish these things had been pushed out until AMD's second-gen stuff just so it'd have a lot more power and refinement under the hood.