PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

18 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I don't think that I saw this posted, but the AnandTech rundown of the SSD architecture in the PS5 and the Xbox Series X is as complete a picture as anyone has likely put together so far.

They certainly seem to think that the PS5's SSD speed will be replicated in high end PCs by the time of release. The decompression hardware is nice, but I didn't get the impression that it's anything that a high end PC couldn't handle, since most tend to have a decent amount of CPU headroom.

I'm not sure if this is entirely new, but this little graphic is very exciting:

ram-8g_575px.png 

ram-16g_575px.png

Read the article.  Interesting read.  Fair amount of speculation based on patents and guesses at configuration motivations.  Some healthy skepticism peppered in as well based on educated guesses.  

There are enough unknowns scattered throughout the article though that the final conclusions are still kept relatively modest.  The author is not exactly suggesting that today's high-end PCs will be on even footing with the PS5's file i/o, all aspects considered. Sums that up quite nicely in the closing thoughts:

Ultimately, it will be interesting to see whether the novel parts of the new console storage subsystems end up being a real advantage that influences the direction of PC hardware development, or if they end up just being interesting quirks that get left in the dust as PC hardware eventually overtakes the consoles with superior raw performance.

Oodle Texture creates BC1-BC7 block-compressed textures for GPUs that compress dramatically smaller, with unparalleled quality! Oodle Texture works in combination with any lossless generic data compressor, and is great with Oodle Kraken, Leviathan, Mermaid and Selkie. Oodle Texture with Kraken can reduce texture sizes by 10-50% over Kraken alone!

http://www.radgametools.com/oodlecompressors.htm

Basically, this is Sony's answer to Series X's next-gen texture compression.

Xbox Series X uses zlib for data compression, BCpack for texture compression (by default).
PS5 uses Krakken for data compression, Oodle Texture for texture compression (by default).

BCpack and Oodle Texture claim similar compression results.  I'm assuming Oodle Texture will be coming to Series X too.

We won't know which combo is better for some time, though BCpack was thought to be Microsoft's ace-in-the-whole to reduce the theoretical gap in SSD speed.  But Sony's 8-9GB/s SSD claim only mentioned Krakken data compression, not a next-gen solution for texture compression.

So across both companies, smaller game sizes and even faster theoretical SSD speeds than claimed. :o 
Also, the last gen consoles might get some help with game sizes too.

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It sure does... so weird.

I came across this tonight, I wonder if it's real. Supposedly French Amazon leaked the price

Those prices translate to $560 and $450 respectively.

FYI, never do a 1:1 exchange comparison because it’s never accurate. European and Japanese prices have baked in tax/vat. So if the prices are real good chance US prices will be $400 & $500.

6 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It sure does... so weird.

I came across this tonight, I wonder if it's real. Supposedly French Amazon leaked the price

Those prices translate to $560 and $450 respectively.

Fake

I do wonder how Sony is planning to allocate the limited resources between the 2 SKUs.  If Sony wants the digital future now, do they produce more of the digital  SKU at launch and hope a shortage forces people to buy that over the disc?

Has Sony said anything about commitment to higher FPS for its 1st party games?  Digital Foundry's initial analysis said Ratchet and Clank and HFW looks like they both will be 30fps titles.  Obviously GT7 will be at least 60fps.  Was Spiderman 60fps on PS4?  

We don't yet know about Microsoft's 1st party stuff, but they have been pretty vocal about focusing on how games feel and 60fps being the standard, so I'm going to hope they aim for at least 60fps for all 1st party games.  There are rumors of quite a few of their games trying to hit 120fps.

We have seen Performance Modes this past gen, so I am really hoping all games get that option this gen.  If you really want to turn up the Ray Tracing, resolution, effects, ect then fine, have a 30fps mode for that.  But at least give people the option to also run all games at 60fps as well with features toned down.  These consoles should be able to manage running these games pretty easily at 60fps with a few concessions.

53 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Has Sony said anything about commitment to higher FPS for its 1st party games?  Digital Foundry's initial analysis said Ratchet and Clank and HFW looks like they both will be 30fps titles.  Obviously GT7 will be at least 60fps.  Was Spiderman 60fps on PS4?  

We don't yet know about Microsoft's 1st party stuff, but they have been pretty vocal about focusing on how games feel and 60fps being the standard, so I'm going to hope they aim for at least 60fps for all 1st party games.  There are rumors of quite a few of their games trying to hit 120fps.

We have seen Performance Modes this past gen, so I am really hoping all games get that option this gen.  If you really want to turn up the Ray Tracing, resolution, effects, ect then fine, have a 30fps mode for that.  But at least give people the option to also run all games at 60fps as well with features toned down.  These consoles should be able to manage running these games pretty easily at 60fps with a few concessions.

I think we can expect most of Microsoft’s games to offer 60+FPS modes by virtue of being cross gen.  They’ll still be designed for Jaguar CPUs and last gen GPUs as a baseline. So it makes more sense to give the option.

It’ll be more interesting to see how things shake out after Microsoft’s cross gen period ends, IMO.

At some point, it would be nice to see the "true" list of games that have been developed with PS5 (and not just backwards compatibility) that will be available this fall.

My list so far:

Full Games

AC: Valhalla

FIFA 21

Madden 21

"Smaller-Games"

Spider-Man Miles Morales

Am I missing anything that's already been announced?  (FWIW, my interpretation is that Cyberpunk will be more-or-less the backwards compatible version this year.)

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

At some point, it would be nice to see the "true" list of games that have been developed with PS5 (and not just backwards compatibility) that will be available this fall.

My list so far:

Full Games

FIFA 21

Madden 21

"Smaller-Games"

Spider-Man Miles Morales

Am I missing anything that's already been announced?  (FWIW, my interpretation is that Cyberpunk will be more-or-less the backwards compatible version this year.)

Is GT7 not this year? Godfall?

*Edit, do you mean real PS5 versions for this year? 

I'm not 100% sure on all of these, but I think they are this year?

Fifa 21

Madden 21

GT7 - Most likely?

Kena

Spderman - Miles Morales

Godfall

Astro's Playroom
Deathloop

Destiny 2

Rainbow Six Siege - I think Ubisoft confirmed they are updating this for new consoles

Outriders - I think announced for this year?

Observer Systems Redux

Jett : Far Shore
Buggsnax

NBA 2k?

Probably a few from Microsoft's May event

Vampire Bloodlines 2

Dirt 5

F2P BRs

Fortnite

Warzone

Apex most likely?

I'd say the new Call of Duty whatever it is will most likely be on this.

4 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Is GT7 not this year? 

No.

Godfall?

Maybe.

*Edit, do you mean real PS5 versions for this year? 

Yes.

AC: Valhalla -- Yes

Fifa 21 -- Yes

Madden 21 -- Yes

GT7 - Most likely? -No.

Kena -- Indie game

Spderman - Miles Morales -- Not full game

Godfall -  Maybe

Astro's Playroom --  Free experience on PS5
Deathloop - Where have you seen a 2020 date on this?

Destiny 2 -  Yes.

Rainbow Six Siege - I think Ubisoft confirmed they are updating this for new consoles -- I don't think Ubi has said if this is anything but a backwards compatible version

Outriders - I think announced for this year? -- Have they announced a release date?

Observer Systems Redux -- Is this really a new game?

Jett : Far Shore -- Indie game
Buggsnax -- Indie game -- unclear if there is really any enhancements to make it a "real" ps5 game

NBA 2k? -- Not sure they have said if there are any significant upgrades (like EA)

Vampire Bloodlines 2 -- Don't think they have announced anything on PS5

Dirt 5 -- Unclear if there are any PS5 enhancements

F2P BRs  -- What enhancements have any of them announced?