PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

6 minutes ago, Dexterryu said:

Still none of them came close to the Unreal Engine 5 demo. I think we'll be mid-cycle before we get games like that.

Did anyone really think we gonna get something like that?

Mid cycle is being super generous .

I think it looked alright.  Don't love it, just looks like a huge router.  Don't hate it like so many seem to.

Solid show, but I don't think much blew me away.  Kind of surprised they didn't show a little more of Spiderman, since its due to come this Holiday.  It was a very quick snippet of it, and didn't really seem like much gameplay.  Figured that could show off the PS5 capabilities vs PS4.  

The stream quality really killed a lot of the impressive visuals.  GT7 looked horrible.

Also, why did they tell us to wear headphones, there was no impressive 3d audio anywhere in this that I noticed.

And GTAV Expanded and Enhanced not til 2nd half of 2021?  Why not have that ready for this Holiday, at least the enhanced part of it.

Solid show, no big surprises other than showing the box itself.  

1 minute ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Its totally valid to like different things, I can't stress that enough. To each their own! My eyes, though I've tried to discuss the matter with them calmly,  tell me that the PS5 looks "Effortlessly Assy". :shrug:

Opinions cant be wrong , unless your of the opinion that is console design looks good in which case you are wrong and a terrible human being.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Did anyone really think we gonna get something like that?

Mid cycle is being super generous .

I'm just going off of the rhetoric and discussion around the time. MS was being laughed at and Sony lauded for "this is how you show of your new gen". That's all I was saying.

I didn't see anything that made me want to rush out and get one on launch day...to be honest, some of the stuff Sony showed at E3 2 years ago looked more impressive to me (thinking of that one Japanese game with the windy fields and sword fights at dawn). 

To be fair, MS hasn't shown me a reason to get the Sexbox either, but the fact that I'm an Xbox guy already with a few hundred games that are playable the day I decide to upgrade certainly leans me in their direction. At the beginning of this stream, they proclaimed the PS5 as the largest generational leap yet, and it very well might be, but if you're going to say that then you should probably back it up. For me, they didn't do that. 

I didn't see anything there that makes me want to run out and buy one. I will probably wait until the Pro model hits in a couple of years like I did with the PS4. I will eventually pick up Ratchet, ZD and Spiderman but no rush.

I like the design of the console itself but that is far down the list of important things for me that it barely even matters.

I like the look of the console, but I would, however, prefer an all black controller.

3 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

What the hell is "pre-alpha"?!?

The terms are loose so everyone can bend it how they like, but classically "alpha" meant you had a completely playable build, but it might be missing some features or art assets. So pre-alpha means they only have parts of the game working or playable.

I was working so I just caught up.

Very impressed by how much Sony kept secret, especially with a short notice delay. I also think they did a much better job than MS at showing off more impressive titles, and even bits of gameplay for many games, which was great. They certainly convinced me that I'll need a PS5, not that I was really doubting it.

I got excited when I saw the Astro Bot, but was dissapointed that there wasn't a PSVR2 reveal, even if the camera hints that it's coming.

Both the box and the controller are ugly as hell, and I'm glad that they'll be hidden in my media cabinet. I really despise the fact that it's not obviously stack-able. There are many good reasons I'm not a product designer, but if I had my way any box designed to hook up to my TV would basically look like the Xbox One X. Black, flat, no vents on top. Easy to stack, never drawing attention to itself.

That said, I respect Sony for putting out a device that will be forever talked about. It's not every day you get to design something "iconic," and I think the PS5 is certainly that. It's a design that forces you to acknowledge the design of the thing. For the more utilitarian among us, that's probably a sign of failure. For everyone that likes it, I'm happy for you.

I'll be interested to see the price difference between the digital version and the regular one. I prefer digital games, but it has been pretty consistent that physical copies are cheaper, and they have resale value. I doubt the price difference between the two versions will be enough to make up for more than a couple games. I'll still want one device that can play UHD-BDs, but the One X fills that role just fine.

More than anything, I'm just excited to see more of many of the games they showed off today. I didn't finish the Xbox showcase thinking the same.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I was working so I just caught up.

Very impressed by how much Sony kept secret, especially with a short notice delay. I also think they did a much better job than MS at showing off more impressive titles, and even bits of gameplay for many games, which was great. They certainly convinced me that I'll need a PS5, not that I was really doubting it.

I got excited when I saw the Astro Bot, but was dissapointed that there wasn't a PSVR2 reveal, even if the camera hints that it's coming.

Both the box and the controller are ugly as hell, and I'm glad that they'll be hidden in my media cabinet. I really despise the fact that it's not obviously stack-able. There are many good reasons I'm not a product designer, but if I had my way any box designed to hook up to my TV would basically look like the Xbox One X. Black, flat, no vents on top. Easy to stack, never drawing attention to itself.

That said, I respect Sony for putting out a device that will be forever talked about. It's not every day you get to design something "iconic," and I think the PS5 is certainly that. It's a design that forces you to acknowledge the design of the thing. For the more utilitarian among us, that's probably a sign of failure. For everyone that likes it, I'm happy for you.

I'll be interested to see the price difference between the digital version and the regular one. I prefer digital games, but it has been pretty consistent that physical copies are cheaper, and they have resale value. I doubt the price difference between the two versions will be enough to make up for more than a couple games. I'll still want one device that can play UHD-BDs, but the One X fills that role just fine.

More than anything, I'm just excited to see more of many of the games they showed off today. I didn't finish the Xbox showcase thinking the same.

MS's show last month was over-hyped, but many are dismissing it without acknowledging that it wasnt MS's showcase. After their show next month we'll be able to more accurately compare the two.

32 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

It’s hard to go all digital on PS when you know your library won’t transfer to the new console.