PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

18 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

With raytracing?  There’s as much of a possibility of that as the 3DS has with 3D.  It’s hard to build new gameplay experiences around new rendering techniques.

Best I can think of is some maze of mirrors type of thing.

I don't necessarily disagree, but of the rendering advancements out there, Raytracing, or more realistically full path tracing, has the opertunity to change the visual language of games through reflections, emissive objects, and dynamic light bounces. Those could lead to new experiences.

Putting that together in an exciting demo though would be extremely difficult.  Especially relative to what we’ve seen is possible now with the PS5’s SSD.

A couple of things:

1)  I have yet to hear a developer (or even Sony) say that what they are doing on PS5 won't be able to be done on a high-end PC (when their game launches)

2)  Tim Sweeney's quote was "The storage architecture on the PS5 is far ahead of anything you can buy on PC for any amount of money right now" [emphasis mine].  Linus apologized for sayin  that this quote was demonstrably false.  The current PC architecture on PC's TODAY, 

HOWEVER, we don know that the Xbox Velocity Architecture (i.e. DirectStorage) is coming to PC as well.  Tim was quite clear in that his team has not yet focused on that architecture yet. Tim made no claims on what impact the PS5 architecture will be compared to that "future PC".  [To illustrate my point, I could change his quote, to create another entirely accurate one: "The storage architecture on the PC is far ahead of anything you can buy on PlayStation for any amount of money right now".]

Tim did come out and say, after the demo, "On a high-end PC with an SSD and especially with NVMe, you get awesome performance too."

I love what Sony has done -- it's pushing the technical capabilities of gaming forward.  However, I have yet to see anyone make claims that when PS5 games come out, there will be any game released that a high-end gaming PC would not be able to technically replicate.

Personally, I'll wait for the hands on comparisons/benchmarks.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

A couple of things:

1)  I have yet to hear a developer (or even Sony) say that what they are doing on PS5 won't be able to be done on a high-end PC (when their game launches)

2)  Tim Sweeney's quote was "The storage architecture on the PS5 is far ahead of anything you can buy on PC for any amount of money right now" [emphasis mine].  Linus apologized for sayin  that this quote was demonstrably false.  The current PC architecture on PC's TODAY, 

HOWEVER, we don know that the Xbox Velocity Architecture (i.e. DirectStorage) is coming to PC as well.  Tim was quite clear in that his team has not yet focused on that architecture yet. Tim made no claims on what impact the PS5 architecture will be compared to that "future PC".  [To illustrate my point, I could change his quote, to create another entirely accurate one: "The storage architecture on the PC is far ahead of anything you can buy on PlayStation for any amount of money right now".]

Tim did come out and say, after the demo, "On a high-end PC with an SSD and especially with NVMe, you get awesome performance too."

I love what Sony has done -- it's pushing the technical capabilities of gaming forward.  However, I have yet to see anyone make claims that when PS5 games come out, there will be any game released that a high-end gaming PC would not be able to technically replicate.

We don’t actually know if DirectStorage will be enough to make up for the proprietary tech built into the PS5’s I/O on the PC.  But it’s safe to say it won’t be enough in the Series X.  And that Tim is advocating for some further innovation and bridge building on the PC prompted specifically by the PS5.

I think that‘s enough to get a feel for what’s happening at the moment.  I anticipate Microsoft (and the rest of the PC market) will strike back with some further improvement that ends up in PCs, and Series XX. ;)

As for how it affects games, I think most devs are going to take a while even coming to terms with SSDs being a standard thing.  By the time it could matter for a lot, we may be moving on to the refreshes anyways.  Let’s wait to see when more of that UE5 tech materializes in games.

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

However, I have yet to see anyone make claims that when PS5 games come out, there will be any game released that a high-end gaming PC would not be able to technically replicate.

Those claims do exist.  Empty words though without context, which IMO the Ratchet & Clank demonstration did provide.  Depending on how the PS5's architecture is being utilized, you might be waiting a while for comparable examples elsewhere. 

I have little doubt though that high-end PC gaming will close any gap that currently exists, but it may require a few future upgrades in the months and/or years to come.  Engine/game developers will also be looking into ways they can make new resulting tech scale, given the need to target mid range PCs and other platforms.

8 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

We don’t actually know if DirectStorage will be enough to make up for the proprietary tech built into the PS5’s I/O on the PC.  But it’s safe to say it won’t be enough in the Series X.  And that Tim is advocating for some further innovation and bridge building on the PC prompted specifically by the PS5.

I think that‘s enough to get a feel for what’s happening at the moment.  I anticipate Microsoft (and the rest of the PC market) will strike back with some further improvement that ends up in PCs, and Series XX. ;)

As for how it affects games, I think most devs are going to take a while even coming to terms with SSDs being a standard thing.  By the time it could matter for a lot, we may be moving on to the refreshes anyways.  Let’s wait to see when more of that UE5 tech materializes in games.

"We don't actually know if the proprietary tech in the PS5 will make up for the brute strength of the PC combined with DirectStorage".  See, I can say it backwards and it is just as true.  

5 hours ago, Duderino said:

Those claims do exist.  Empty words though without context, which IMO the Ratchet & Clank demonstration did provide.  Depending on how the PS5's architecture is being utilized, you might be waiting a while for comparable examples elsewhere. 

I have little doubt though that high-end PC gaming will close any gap that currently exists, but it may require a few future upgrades in the months and/or years to come.  Engine/game developers will also be looking into ways they can make new resulting tech scale, given the need to target mid range PCs and other platforms.

Who is Matt?  Why do you have confidence in what he is saying?  What specific claims is he making between the performance of a game engine on a PC vs. a PS5 driven by their relative performance in SSDs?

Who is Matt?  Why do you have confidence in what he is saying?  What specific claims is he making between the performance of a game engine on a PC vs. a PS5 driven by their relative performance in SSDs?

All I can gather is he is a verified developer on Resetera and Neogaf.  I do not know what authority he has on this subject, just that this individual is making claims regarding the PS5's capabilities relative to other platforms.

We haven't seen the full picture yet, but between the demos (UE5 + Ratchet) and Tim Sweeney's "best in class" statements on the PS5 i/o architecture, signs currently point to the PS5 being a leap forward in this regard. 

The fact that Playstation first-party doesn't need to target anything less than the PS5 means they are in a unique position to work with this architecture as a baseline.  Hence you might be waiting a while for direct comparisons to PC tittles.

"We don't actually know if the proprietary tech in the PS5 will make up for the brute strength of the PC combined with DirectStorage".  See, I can say it backwards and it is just as true. 

Not really, because of what Tim said here:

If DirectStorage plus the PC advantages we already expect were a sufficent answer, there would be no need to bring up the rest of the gang.  

Brute forcing it with tons of RAM (etc) isn't such an exciting notion either.  It wouldn't be nearly as cost effective and developer friendly as the answer to the PS5 SSD he's wanting.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Not really, because of what Tim said here:

If DirectStorage plus the PC advantages we already expect were a sufficent answer, there would be no need to bring up the rest of the gang.  

Brute forcing it with tons of RAM (etc) isn't such an exciting notion either.  It wouldn't be nearly as cost effective and developer friendly as the answer to the PS5 SSD he's wanting.

Getting the first Intel on board is the easy part, the second one, though, I dunno!

• Haha 1

I don't think that I saw this posted, but the AnandTech rundown of the SSD architecture in the PS5 and the Xbox Series X is as complete a picture as anyone has likely put together so far.

They certainly seem to think that the PS5's SSD speed will be replicated in high end PCs by the time of release. The decompression hardware is nice, but I didn't get the impression that it's anything that a high end PC couldn't handle, since most tend to have a decent amount of CPU headroom.

I'm not sure if this is entirely new, but this little graphic is very exciting:

ram-8g_575px.png 

ram-16g_575px.png

• Thanks 1

I don't really get Collector Editions of anything anymore, but all collector editions for the PS5 should have a digital version of the game included. I think it would be shit if you are "forced" to get the more expensive version of the console because you want a collector edition. 

20 minutes ago, Brick said:

The controller being all black is definitely better looking, especially since white can orange over time with cheeto dust. Yum! I wonder what the console would look like with the black and white inverted. 

Fixed specific parts of that for you :sun: