PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

WCCFTECH.COM

According to some very early rumors, Sony is going all in with its PlayStation 6, planning to make it the most powerful gaming system of its generation

As for the PlayStation 6, the system has been in the works for around one year, and its specs, like CPU and RAM, haven't been finalized yet. Sony is talking with development studios as of now to tweak the system, which is almost assuredly going to be powered by AMD technology, as AMD is the only vendor Sony is considering, according to RedGaming Tech. This is somewhat new, as Sony was talking with multiple vendors, including NVIDIA, for the PlayStation 5, before settling on AMD.

While the system specifications have yet to be decided, Sony is set on making the PlayStation 6 the most powerful console of its generation and is thus ready to take things slowly, as the console's release window is said to be 2028. How this goal will be achieved remains unknown, but it is being said the Japanese company is tripling down on ray tracing and path tracing, the latter not universally supported due to its massive performance costs, machine learning and AI, especially in regards to NPCs' interactions to offer innovative and advanced gaming experiences.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I want Nintendo to focus on graphics ar some point. So we don't have to keep playing in extremely low resolutions at 20fps. 

If there was ever a hope for that, it died with the massive success they've enjoyed with the portable form factor. Sales to date of the Switch are soon going to eclipse the PS2. This is absolute concrete evidence for Nintendo that graphics aren't king for their audience. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

If there was ever a hope for that, it died with the massive success they've enjoyed with the portable form factor. Sales to date of the Switch are soon going to eclipse the PS2. This is absolute concrete evidence for Nintendo that graphics aren't king for their audience. 

Oh I understand but a guy can dream. I actually think the Switch 2 will look pretty darn good with how Nintendo uses their visual tricks. But yea, Nintendo is a juggernaut without raytracing and 4k. 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
WCCFTECH.COM

According to some very early rumors, Sony is going all in with its PlayStation 6, planning to make it the most powerful gaming system of its generation

It’s like saying that Subaru is planning on making the fastest compact car. 
It’s the fastest because you’re only looking at compact cars. 

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It’s like saying that Subaru is planning on making the fastest compact car. 
It’s the fastest because you’re only looking at compact cars. 

Well they are specifically speaking consoles only so not sure what you mean?

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Was PS5 not planned to be the most powerful console of this generation? I mean it's kind of a no duh statement.

4 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Nope, the Series X are clocked at 3.8GHz while the PS5's are 3.5GHz. 

@Remarkableriotsis quoting CPU specs vs GPU. 

For the GPU, Sony opted for a variable rate clock with a higher peak frequency and fewer cores than MS. On paper, the MS GPU is supposed to be better, but Cerny was pretty vocal about how he thought PS5 would be more powerful than XSeX. 

On 2/9/2024 at 10:27 AM, DarkStar189 said:

Biggest question for me…will it have a disc drive? I use my PS5 almost weekly for watching physical media.

I think as long as they do it similar to how their new standard PS5 is (attachable drive), it’ll be fine. 

• True 1

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

PS5 has now sold 54.7m units; Sony confirms it will fall short of lofty 25m fiscal year…

“Regarding first-party software, we aim to continue to focus on producing high-quality productions and producing live service games. But while major projects are currently under development, we do not plan to release any new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year like God of War: Ragnarok and Marvel Spider-Man 2.”

Kenan Thompson Eating GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Shocked 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

The same financial report stated that the PS5 is in the "latter half" of the console cycle:

WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

A PS4-style price cut would apparently be "difficult"

The PS5 has entered the "latter half" of its life cycle, according to Sony, and a price cut looks unlikely.

Earlier today, February 14, Sony Group president Hiroki Totoki briefed investors and shareholders on what the upcoming fiscal year would hold for the company. During the briefing, Totoki said that the PS5 was in "the latter half of the console cycle," according to Bloomberg reporter Takashi Mochizuki. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 10:02 AM, best3444 said:

That's pretty fuckin disappointing for Sony to not have planned better with releases.

Microsoft could make a decent jump this year with their exclusives. I hope Nintendo has an amazing launch to save the later half of this year. 

I wonder if this year was going to be new IPs or live service titles, but everything either got secretly pushed back or canceled. Because I cant imagine this scenario is in any way “all according to plan”. 

16 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Because most of them are flaming Sony? 🤷‍♀️

Maybe they changed by the time you read them.

No, I mean what's the flame Sony about? I just checked the comments and I guess I see some making snarky comments that Sony should have used this themselves? Is that it? Because that's a pretty stupid flame. There are a billion different services and software stacks that have to be used to make these games (and other stuff Sony does) and Sony doesn't design the security for all of them. We desperately need more services to adopt passkey already, and Sony is taking the steps to adopt it earlier than most in the service they actually control. 

Or if the flame was about passkey being a bad idea, then that's also a stupid flame :p

6 minutes ago, legend said:

No, I mean what's the flame Sony about? I just checked the comments and I guess I see some making snarky comments that Sony should have used this themselves? Is that it?

Basically the ones pertaining to the info leak / ransomware attack and the one saying "oh this would have been nice several years ago" you know when PSN was hacked numerous times and comments like that.

Maybe your barometer for snarky comments is high in which case different strokes I suppose. :peace:

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Basically the ones pertaining to the info leak / ransomware attack and the one saying "oh this would have been nice several years ago" you know when PSN was hacked numerous times and comments like that.

Maybe your barometer for snarky comments is high in which case different strokes I suppose. :peace:

I prefer my burns to have at least a little more sense to them :p

1 hour ago, legend said:

I prefer my burns to have at least a little more sense to them :p

Well a comment doesn't need to correlate to the subject to have an impact.

Like if you told me, "I just achieved a milestone in AI technology!"

and I replied, "Remember when the motherbrain planted a virus in your neural cortex and scuffed up your exoskeleton?"

the two don't really relate but the intent for harm is clear.

PS - I hope I didn't bring up any harsh memories for you. :pray:

• Haha 1