PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

I just started playing The Order: 1886 for the first time a week ago as a theatrical experience my wife (who doesn't play games) could watch and enjoy and in that regard it's been quite enjoyable. It's very on rails, more of a tech demo for the PS4 more than anything, though it still looks great (the very tight FOV and aspect ratio probably help to make the game look better than it would normally).

The universe and mythology and setting are pretty enjoyable and interesting and I'd enjoy another romp in that world done more properly. I can see why people were annoyed that this was considered a full blown $60 game upon release, but there's a lot here to make a great sequel. The shame of it is that Ready at Dawn has been in gaming development hell since this game, after their multiplatform multiplayer brawler Deformers failed they've been in Oculus Rift exclusive game development ever since (I haven't played them but I've heard their small Oculus Rift games might be good?).

As for announcements, I'm excited to hear what first party studios will be making (I usually use PC for multi-platform releases). We already know what a lot of Sony's first party studios are doing, so there isn't as much mystery as we think, this is what I expect amongst the announcements:

-Gran Turismo 7/Gran Turismo Sport 2 (Polyphony Digital)

-God of War 2 (Santa Monica Studio)

-MLB The Show 21 (San Diego Studio)

-Horizon Zero Dawn 2 (Guerilla Games)

-Marvel's Spider-Man 2 (Insomniac Games)

-Everybody's Golf 2 (Clap Hanz)

Naughy Dog, Sucker Punch, and Media Molecule just came out with new games this very year (The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, and Dreams, respectively), so I doubt they have anything immediately ready to announce or show in the pipeline beyond PS5 ports of their most recent games. So don't expect anything from them. That leaves these studios with something to announce, and that's it.

-Japan Studio

-Bend Studio

-London Studio

-Pixelopus

-Housemarque (not always first party but almost always is)

I'm curious how it will stack up to the Xbox reveal. Sony is in an odd place. They probably saw the underwhelming reaction people had with the Xbox event, where you'd be hard pressed to tell which games were "next gen," but they were also plastering the Playstation branding all over the UE5 reveal, which is almost certainly well beyond the first wave of PS5 games. Between those two events I feel like we have a good handle on what to expect from PS5 games now and in the future. So if Sony is going to surprise us, hopefully it's in what games they announce more than anything.

3 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I'm curious how it will stack up to the Xbox reveal. Sony is in an odd place. They probably saw the underwhelming reaction people had with the Xbox event, where you'd be hard pressed to tell which games were "next gen," but they were also plastering the Playstation branding all over the UE5 reveal, which is almost certainly well beyond the first wave of PS5 games. Between those two events I feel like we have a good handle on what to expect from PS5 games now and in the future. So if Sony is going to surprise us, hopefully it's in what games they announce more than anything.

I'd be surprised if they don't end up announcing what we expect (see my earlier post). I hope for surprises, but most studios can only really make one game at a time and Sony only has so many first party studios.

1 hour ago, Firewithin said:

This is the right decision. I'm disgusted by some of the comments from people I saw comment on this post on both Facebook and Instagram. Yes they were white people, because of course they were. People are so entitled they cactus handle a little delay to a goddamned video, when there are riots all over America because of racial injustice. 

The outrage makes sense considering the vibe that's been on most gaming messageboards from the start.  If anyone uses the internet time machine to see what IGN was like ten or more years ago, most threads on every page were whiteboy problems. Whining about games being delayed a month, an occasional glitch, framerate not being 60+fps, and more.

Video games are the ultimate luxuriant entertainment product.  A magical box that projects these portals to interactive dreams that have become as visually detailed as movies. Imagine losing sight of that.

Most games over the years are escapism that avoids political messaging, which is fine, it lets anyone project whatever they want to see but it also invites as many jerks as it does sensitive nerds.  The outrage from gamersbros on the internet is similar to what would happen if you gave a community of young princes in an insulated kingdom all the toys they want for most of their lives and suddenly took them away, is all.  

8 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Cynics are weird though I'm sure he felt aroused posting that.

Example: Shawn Layden, formerly of Sony, talked about the Pulse Shooting at E3 2016 and how the company stood four-square with the LGBTQ community. He actually attends Pride parades.

Dge1csAUwAA70EX?format=jpg&name=large

Plenty of these people are human and actually care about shit, and as we see on any message board, poor/middle class fuckers will still be on the wrong side of history.