PlayStation 5 OT - Play Has No Limits, update: financial report indicates no major first-party/exclusive PS5 releases prior to end of March 2025, PS5 in "latter half" of console cycle

Commissar SFLUFAN

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I'm really not a fan of the Storm Trooper coloring, I find that white controllers look "dingy" very quickly.

IMHO, Sony does have a record of making the best "feeling" base controllers -- I have no doubt that record will continue with this one.

I don't think your opinion on this is very common - even with sony since they are moving the overall form factor to pretty much match the xbox controllers.  Which really makes sense.  Xbox has had the best controller shape for a while now.  If someone has something that works - the others should copy it.

2 hours ago, number305 said:

I don't think your opinion on this is very common - even with sony since they are moving the overall form factor to pretty much match the xbox controllers.  Which really makes sense.  Xbox has had the best controller shape for a while now.  If someone has something that works - the others should copy it.

I am sure there are lots of people who agree with me, and lots that don't.  There is a lot of personal preference. 

However, for me, when holding in a natural grip:

1) My thumbs land about 2/3 on the thumbsticks on DS4, land in-between sticks and buttons/d-pad on XB1

2)  My wrists are pointing upward on DS4 (in a natural resting position), my wrists are angled about 10 degrees outward on XB1

3)  DS4 is noticeably lighter

4)  DS4 is noticeably wider

5)  The two sides of my body are symmetrical, so I prefer symmetrical sticks

Since no two bodies are alike, my experience may be different than others.  For ergonomics, I would give the PS4 a 9.0, and the base XB1 controller an 8.5 -- so the difference is really minimal.

How is Sony making the ergonomics of a DualSense closer to an XB1 controller (other than being heavier/bulkier to accommodate the haptics)?

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I am sure there are lots of people who agree with me, and lots that don't.  There is a lot of personal preference. 

However, for me, when holding in a natural grip:

1) My thumbs land about 2/3 on the thumbsticks on DS4, land in-between sticks and buttons/d-pad on XB1

2)  My wrists are pointing upward on DS4 (in a natural resting position), my wrists are angled about 10 degrees outward on XB1

3)  DS4 is noticeably lighter

4)  DS4 is noticeably wider

5)  The two sides of my body are symmetrical, so I prefer symmetrical sticks

Since no two bodies are alike, my experience may be different than others.  For ergonomics, I would give the PS4 a 9.0, and the base XB1 controller an 8.5 -- so the difference is really minimal.

How is Sony making the ergonomics of a DualSense closer to an XB1 controller (other than being heavier/bulkier to accommodate the haptics)?

I have no interest in arguing with someone who measures their wrist angles.  You are right.  I'm wrong.  I'm slowly backing away.  Good day sir.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I used one of these, you don't have one?

41a70q-K9UL._SX342_.jpg

I just used my eyes... and saw that since 2005 the xbox controller design has remained mostly static - and that the PS controller design has started to look more and more like the xbox version with every revision.  I don't know why they haven't moved the sticks yet.  The xbox has the left stick in the primary position for use.  I totally get why the first Playstation didn't do that - because the D-pad got more use at the time, but as modern gaming has evolved most games don't use the D-pad at all, or only use it for inventory purposes.  It is best pushed down for occasional access.  It has nothing to do with symmetry.  

36 minutes ago, number305 said:

I just used my eyes... and saw that since 2005 the xbox controller design has remained mostly static - and that the PS controller design has started to look more and more like the xbox version with every revision.  I don't know why they haven't moved the sticks yet.  The xbox has the left stick in the primary position for use.  I totally get why the first Playstation didn't do that - because the D-pad got more use at the time, but as modern gaming has evolved most games don't use the D-pad at all, or only use it for inventory purposes.  It is best pushed down for occasional access.  It has nothing to do with symmetry.  

I didn't use my eyes, I just held the controllers.  

The ergonomics of the DS4 are substantially different than the previous PS controllers -- if your POV that the Duke > DS2, so XB1 controller>DS4. Then,

:shrug:

When I hold a PS4 controller my thumbs are on the analog sticks when my hand is in a natural/rested position -- I am not sure "what a primary position for use" is.

9 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

The evolution:

It's like everything was a minor change until the DS4. :p 

Two gens in a row with significant changes to the controller. I mean, I guess DS3 was the DS2 but wireless and lighter (and mushy triggers).

I think that's mostly because Sony feels their fanbase doesn't like change much. There was a ton of backlash when they unveiled the baterang.

14 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I think that's mostly because Sony feels their fanbase doesn't like change much. There was a ton of backlash when they unveiled the baterang.

True, they were gonna change it, but I don't think that controller looked that good or made sense. DS4 was exciting to see.

6 hours ago, HardAct said:

Funny you remembered my obsession with keeping the White Theme going as long as I could. It was unique at least to me, though far from important lately. I do miss our Gaming room, and the Home Movie Theater too...

I don't think I'm the only one who remembers. :p

I like it, it really makes the PS5 feel like it's going to be a true generational leap.  I'm curious to hear hands on opinions regarding the haptic feedback in it.  It was always discussed being added to PlayStation controllers of prior generations, but never happened.  I just hope it's better implemented in games than HD rumble has been on the Switch. 

7 hours ago, number305 said:

Let me just say I don't understand asymmetrical sticks. Left stick is in the primary position, OK. Why are buttons in the primary position on the right? How many games use stick + buttons versus stick + stick?

12 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Let me just say I don't understand asymmetrical sticks. Left stick is in the primary position, OK. Why are buttons in the primary position on the right? How many games use stick + buttons versus stick + stick?

Just about any game that isn't a shooter?

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

It could be muscle memory from primarily using an Xbox controller for the past 19 years, but it feels extremely unnatural to reach down to hit buttons. Not to mention the fact that it completely ruins claw grips unless you used your index finger for the analog stick.

The asymmetrical stick position thing was far worse prior to the DS4.  Something about the new design made it much easier to adapt to and forget about coming off the 360 controller.

Think I even prefer the layout now for the opposite reason; an offset d-pad has never felt comfortable to me.

1 hour ago, Duderino said:

The asymmetrical stick position thing was far worse prior to the DS4.  Something about the new design made it much easier to adapt to and forget about coming off the 360 controller.

Think I even prefer the layout now for the opposite reason; an offset d-pad has never felt comfortable to me.

Bungie had a hand in creating the DS4, not sure the extent, but they did have input into its creation which probably helped a lot. Shooters on the DS3 was not good.

5 hours ago, Duderino said:

That's because the DS4 has longer handles at a smaller angle; look at the pics above. Ergonomics matter!

13 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

It's like everything was a minor change until the DS4. :p 

Visually, I agree they look small until the end. But I think the change from DS3->DS4 is more substantial than it appears. Every other PS controller before it cramped by hands quickly. The DS4 feels vastly better to hold and use.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, legend said:

Visually, I agree they look small until the end. But I think the change from DS3->DS4 is more substantial than it appears. Every other PS controller before it cramped by hands quickly. The DS4 feels vastly better to hold and use.

Whoops, that's what I meant. Each change was minor until the DS4, which was the first major change in the controller (Share button, wider, not as light as the DS2, better triggers, buttons that feel more responsive, headphone jack, different analog sticks that felt better to move, touchpad that offers several new methods of input).

And since the weird issue with the peeling analog sticks has been rectified for years, the DS4 ranks up there as one of my favorites along with the Xbox One controller (which I wasn't as big on compared to the 360's but now like a lot better).

4 minutes ago, Reputator said:

So like 2D indie games that people spend maybe 3% of their time playing?

Priorities.

Let's think of some games that came out this year that would fit...

Animal Crossing New Horizons

Persona 5 Royal

Yakuza 0

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Nioh 2

MLB The Show 20

DBZ Kakarot

Yes. Mostly just 2D indie games. It's not like last year we got some great games like Sekiro, Control, Mortal Kombat 11, Devil May Cry 5, Fire Emblem 3 Houses, Kingdom Hearts 3, or any sports or racing or fighting game.