Update: The United States Space Force logo looks awfully familiar...

11 hours ago, MarSolo said:

I asked this in another thread,  but the next President is totally scrapping this right? Like, there can’t be one person on either side without the last name “Trump” that doesn’t truly think this is an idiotic idea?

Our resistance qween got it codified in law in exchange for paid family leave for federal workers

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/11/house-passes-massive-defense-bill-authorizing-a-space-force-as-the-sixth-armed-service-of-the-us.html

12 hours ago, MarSolo said:

I asked this in another thread,  but the next President is totally scrapping this right? Like, there can’t be one person on either side without the last name “Trump” that doesn’t truly think this is an idiotic idea?

While a little low, we can only hope that the next Dem president pulls a trump and dismantles everything that he put in place. Yet I know this is only going to lead to the next republican president doing the same. -.-

17 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Depends on how well the Department of the Air Force helps out Space Force. If Space Force starts having to stand up their own basic training and training pipe lines, then it's over. Especially if those pipe lines are things that aren't space related, like Medical or Security Forces, or are the Air Force going to continue to provide those services on Space Force bases? 

56 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Depends on how well the Department of the Air Force helps out Space Force. If Space Force starts having to stand up their own basic training and training pipe lines, then it's over. Especially if those pipe lines are things that aren't space related, like Medical or Security Forces, or are the Air Force going to continue to provide those services on Space Force bases? 

It's literally going to be a name and nothing new ever comes from it. Like the USMCA, it's Nafta with minor changes and a new name. 

8 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

Been reading deeper into plans for Space Force... Space National Guard is going to be a thing....

It makes sense. Space Force will be our Adeptus Astartes and the errr Space National Guard is our Imperial Guard. With Trump as the GEOTUS.

11 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

Been reading deeper into plans for Space Force... Space National Guard is going to be a thing....

Am I correct in that they're basically doing what the Air Force Space Command has been doing?

11 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

According to wikipedia, Air Force Reserve members have been used by the Air Force Space Command. I honestly have no clue how specialized that training is.

I think you're right in that Space Force existing as an effective subsidiary of the Air Force, just with it's own name, would basically ensure it survival through future administrations. If they start asking for billions of dollars more to start duplicating all the roles of the other branches, that could kill it.

Then again, in an environment where defense spending is higher than it was during Korea or Vietnam and nearly double what it was during the Cold War, maybe asking for billions of dollars is the way it survives. If the Space Force decides they want to be their own autonomous branch and doing so would building new bases and schools and hiring thousands of people, it's not hard to imagine some Senators and Congresspeople getting all excited at the prospect of bringing those defense dollars home.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Am I correct in that they're basically doing what the Air Force Space Command has been doing?

According to wikipedia, Air Force Reserve members have been used by the Air Force Space Command. I honestly have no clue how specialized that training is.

I think you're right in that Space Force existing as an effective subsidiary of the Air Force, just with it's own name, would basically ensure it survival through future administrations. If they start asking for billions of dollars more to start duplicating all the roles of the other branches, that could kill it.

Then again, in an environment where defense spending is higher than it was during Korea or Vietnam and nearly double what it was during the Cold War, maybe asking for billions of dollars is the way it survives. If the Space Force decides they want to be their own autonomous branch and doing so would building new bases and schools and hiring thousands of people, it's not hard to imagine some Senators and Congresspeople getting all excited at the prospect of bringing those defense dollars home.

Air Force Space Command was elevated to be co equal with the US Air Force within the Department of the Air Force as the US Space Force. It's commander is now the Chief of Space Operations and is now a member of the Joint Chiefs, he is also dual hated as the commander of US Space Command (which breaks a bunch of fucking rules established by Goldwater Nicols). 14th Air Force is now Space Operations Command within Space Force and Space Command's space component and runs the half a dozen Space Wings. The NDAA bar the transfer of reserves and guard until Space Force Reserves and the Space National Guard is formally created. 

What make this divorce tricky is, unlike the other branches of the military, Air Force Wings are responsible for managing their own bases. So when the 30th Space Wing became part of Space Force, so did Vandenberg Air Force Base since they are the host for that base. So more than half of each Space Wing's units and personnel are going to have to be from the Air Force. The Navy and Marines kind of have that relationship, Marines protect Navy nukes, Navy provides medial services, but not to the level Space Force is going to need. Which begs the question, who pays and how much say will the Air Force have regarding how Space Force bases are ran? 

This is all the stuff in 30th Space Wing that has to be divided up:

30th Operations Group (30 OG)

• 30th Space Communications Squadron (30 SCS)
  • 2d Range Operations Squadron (2 ROPS)
  • 30th Range Management Squadron (30 RMS)
  • 30th Weather Squadron (30 WS)
  • 30th Operations Support Squadron (30 OSS)

30th Launch Group (30 LCG)

• 1st Air and Space Test Squadron (1 ASTS)
  • 4th Space Launch Squadron (4 SLCS)
  • 30th Launch Support Squadron (30 LCSS)

30th Mission Support Group (30 MSG)[1]

• 30th Contracting Squadron (30 CONS)
  • 30th Security Forces Squadron (30 SFS)
  • 30th Force Support Squadron (30 FSS)
  • 30th Logistics Readiness Squadron (30 LRS)
  • 30th Civil Engineer Squadron (30 CES)

30th Medical Group (30 MDG)

• 30th Medical Operations Squadron (30 MDOS)
  • 30th Medical Support Squadron (30 MDSS)

This divorce is going to be a mess. 

2 hours ago, Anathema- said:

The Air Force jacked the logo decades ago. Plenty of stuff to clown on this admin for but this ain't one. 

They didn’t straight copy the star trek insignia, just kind of stylistically similar. I mean, this doesn’t matter, but it’s still kinda funny.

Edit: nm I was wrong, it is indeed just a variant of the existing Air Force Space Command logo, I was thinking of the regular Air Force logo.

11 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

Before we accuse Trump of stealing Star Trek's logo go back and look at the Apollo program logo and then question who ripped off who. Looks like Rodenberry might have borrowed or at least taken inspiration first.

Other than a circular logo there's nothing in common with the Trek logo.

10 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I think it's cool as well. I have to laugh at all these people claiming Trump stole the logo. Do people seriously think that Trump sat in the Oval Office with a box of crayons and designed the logo himself? 

I don't think anyone thinks Trump stole the logo or even designed it himself. At least not in this thread.

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I don't think anyone thinks Trump stole the logo or even designed it himself. At least not in this thread.

not here, twitter. They went apeshit when it came out. Now of course if everyone loved it (which frankly I think even those who think he 'stole' the design have to admit it looks good) he'd have definitely claimed credit. but anyone with even half a brain cell would know he didn't design it. At best he might have been presented with a few concepts and said go with that one, but I don't he even had that much input. He said we're doing Space Force and then everyone else went to work.