~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

7 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

My side job is in retail as the pricing/inventory guy, and I’m worried I’ve already been exposed. Even worse, I’m currently living at my parents temporarily and my father is a cancer survivor.

I don’t know what to do.

Do you have any friends or younger family that you could stay with?  

8 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

So I just lost my job. I work for a small telecom company with about 30 employees. Instead of giving us paid time off, they just shut the whole company down "until further notice." The email ended with instructions on how to collect unemployment.

I'm bracing for this as well. I work for a direct mail company (eh, it's a living), and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they just have to either shut all production down because of employees infected or if a bunch of our clients just pull out of all of their jobs . All the best.

If this gets bad enough maybe we'll all get some New Deal-style make-work government jobs at the other end of this thing.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

So I just lost my job. I work for a small telecom company with about 30 employees. Instead of giving us paid time off, they just shut the whole company down "until further notice." The email ended with instructions on how to collect unemployment.

Shit, man. I'm sorry :(.

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

In NO scenario is the British approach better than the other approach. They are acting like the only way to get herd immunity is to just let everyone get it at once. But herd immunity will be achieved NO MATTER WHAT over time, the goal is to spread out the damage to avoid tangential deaths.

16 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

I work as a contractor with Highmark, so I don't know how worried I should be about losing my job...

12 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

I'm bracing for this as well. I work for a direct mail company (eh, it's a living), and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they just have to either shut all production down because of employees infected or if a bunch of our clients just pull out of all of their jobs . All the best.

If this gets bad enough maybe we'll all get some New Deal-style make-work government jobs at the other end of this thing.

I work for a marketing agency that specializes in direct mail. I'm not super concerned, because we do a lot of digital work as well and serve a lot of medical clients (who I would imagine will especially want to push forward). IMO the most likely situation is that USPS will suspend direct mail for a time in order to cut down on their own staffing.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also, if it's 0.5% (which would match Korea, which is basically testing everyone and where people are taking it seriously), then it's still 750,000 dead. Yeah, no big deal.

They (stupidly) think because less than 100,000 have been infected in China that it will be the same everywhere else.

10 minutes ago, Comet said:

My father in law is a bartender at the VFW.  I'm not sure this order includes private clubs like the VFW, but it honestly should - most of the people who go there to drink are at least in their 60s.   My father in law himself is 70.

While a bit of a rumor there is strong hinting/leaning in that the Canadian Government might be announcing tomorrow/early next week in regards to possibly closing the border or limiting travel.  There was a strong push from the government yesterday for canadians to return home immediately while they can. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadian-travellers-abroad-should-return-home-champagne-says-1.5498252

Also just heard on a live stream that canada is now over 300 confirmed cases.

2 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

• Guillotine 1

4 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Went to Best Buy to get some monitors for work and everything under $400 was sold out. So it’s not just food and tp.

I just ordered like 25 monitors to hand out to people to help them work from home. I imagine I'm not the only one.

Nevada schools are now closed to at least April 3rd. The big hang up was that online schooling to make up for lost days was ruled against the state's constitution a couple of years back. Basically one of the schools in the Tahoe region tried to use online classes for days school was cancelled from snow and somebody sued over it. 

3 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Of all places, why is a furniture store busy at a time like this?

4 people bought desks including me that I saw. People have been told to wfh but if you haven’t set yourself up yet you need to get your office stuff. The girl at ikea said they were at 160% index and it’s only been this busy when college starts. Best Buy was sold out of monitors keyboards mouses web cams etc. Not all of us were ready to go wfh at a moments notice.

3 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Do you have any friends or younger family that you could stay with?  

I would go to my sister’s but my grandfather goes there a lot, so I called my friend and asked him since he’s single with no elderly nearby, but he’s diabetic too so I’m worried about him as well.