~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

So, Dallas County has a mandatory mask order in place for businesses and customers, until at least August 4th. Apparently two bars have already been shit down for 30 days due to lack of compliance. 

my work is taking the mask order serious. They also ordered branded masks for everyone. Though my company is not taking it so seriously that they are pushing back the “move in” date for departments to start coming back into the office. 

not everyone is coming back. Our Software developers have been insanely more productive at home. So they’re  staying put. lol But other groups, like our front line call center agents are coming back starting July 1. 

1 hour ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

So, Dallas County has a mandatory mask order in place for businesses and customers, until at least August 4th. Apparently two bars have already been shit down for 30 days due to lack of compliance. 

my work is taking the mask order serious. They also ordered branded masks for everyone. Though my company is not taking it so seriously that they are pushing back the “move in” date for departments to start coming back into the office. 

not everyone is coming back. Our Software developers have been insanely more productive at home. So they’re  staying put. lol But other groups, like our front line call center agents are coming back starting July 1. 

That's pretty much what happened at my company. Enough so that they've given everyone to extras paid days off and told people they're free to start home if they're like. Now I get a long weekend every other week for at least the rest of the year.

The UK is continuing to open up from the 4th of July. Pubs, restaurants etc will open and the rules behind social distancing are being amended to being within 1m of another person where unavoidable, but preferably maintaining 2m. We're also allowed to have family members stay, without the need to form a 'social bubble'. 

Suffice to say, this will either work out perfectly well for the UK, or the piss taking by a number of the population will grow and we'll see a resurgence in the virus. 

6 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

The UK is continuing to open up from the 4th of July. Pubs, restaurants etc will open and the rules behind social distancing are being amended to being within 1m of another person where unavoidable, but preferably maintaining 2m. We're also allowed to have family members stay, without the need to form a 'social bubble'. 

Suffice to say, this will either work out perfectly well for the UK, or the piss taking by a number of the population will grow and we'll see a resurgence in the virus. 

Judging by how reasonable UK citizens have shown themselves to be over the past couple years (example Brexit and B. Johnson) I’m thinking the latter will happen. 

You guys are more “American” than you care to admit. :p

14 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Judging by how reasonable UK citizens have shown themselves to be over the past couple years (example Brexit and B. Johnson) I’m thinking the latter will happen. 

You guys are more “American” than you care to admit. :p

I'm fortunate that I can always play the 'at least I'm not English' card, however tenuous that is. On the plus side, I live in the least affected part of England, so I will hopefully not be too impacted by it. 

One of my coworkers has tested positive. He was last in our office 14 days ago, bu showed the first symptoms 1 day after that, which means he could have been contagious for a week before (while he was in the office). My manager's position is that it has been two weeks and no one else has gotten sick, so we are in the clear. I am phoning my provincial health authority tonight for a test and they will almost certainly tell me to self-isolate and get tested. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

The way I read the statistics in Texas is there are now 3,700 people currently hospitalized in Texas. When they say being hospitalized, it sounds like 3200 people a day are being admitted for covid. I'm open to correction, but I believe Jim Roberts is misleading people a bit there. Also Abbott has allowed cities to mandate that businesses require face masks. An order went into effect in San Antonio on Monday. Others cities have followed. Abbott still won't allow individual mandates though.

In any case, it's still a terrible situation and Abbott has failed Texas miserably. The curve is looking horrid and if we continue on this pace, we will be in a full blown crisis of beds within around 6 weeks.

47 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The mask thing is flat out untrue. Local governments are completely free to mandate masks in Texas and most of the major ones did starting Monday.

Additionally, the Texas Medical Center ICU bed capacity tracker is on the lowest side of moderate concern. 

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/total-icu-bed-occupancy/

Just to be clear, local governments are not free to mandate masks on individuals. They can mandate that businesses require them. 

Texas just spiked to 5500 new cases today. 4092 in the hospital. The curve is basically going straight up. 

Edit: Abbott has failed miserably. I hope everyone can see what a dick he’s been for our state. First he let local governments take the flack for hard shut down decisions. Then he stripped their power away to look like the knight saving the economy as it reopened and handed them a shitty order that prohibited individual mask mandates. A clever local judge found a loophole in Abbott’s order that allowed local governments to mandate that businesses require masks rather than a direct mandate on individuals.  Abbott pretends like this was his intention all along when it clearly wasn’t if you look back at how he framed the reopening. He is a slime ball. The right thing to do was reopen with a statewide mask mandate on businesses and individuals. Look at where we are at now.  

54 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The mask thing is flat out untrue. Local governments are completely free to mandate masks in Texas and most of the major ones did starting Monday.

Additionally, the Texas Medical Center ICU bed capacity tracker is on the lowest side of moderate concern. 

It depends on how you look at it. Cities are able to mandate that businesses require masks for customers and employees, now get this “if they cannot maintain 6 feet of social distancing”. But for like a large gathering in a park, the cities can not mandate anything. 

Gregg Abbott is being insanely weak to prevent pissing off all Karens out there in Texas. If they do get losses off, it will be at the business or city. If the virus continues to spike and spread, it’s not his fault, because he put out “guidelines” to stay safe. He’s a gutless turd. 

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

What's concerning are the ICU and MS COVID occupancy has almost doubled between the 11th and 22nd, and that two week projection is looking quite bleak.

I love the transparency and display of information. Me like graphs.

14 hours ago, emalider said:

What's concerning are the ICU and MS COVID occupancy has almost doubled between the 11th and 22nd, and that two week projection is looking quite bleak.

I love the transparency and display of information. Me like graphs.

No doubt, I have a lot of med center nursing friends who have been warning about the increases for a couple of weeks now.

Just returned from being tested. A swab to the back of the throat, and then two swabs (one in each nostril) that went to my sinuses. Not pleasant, but not painful.

My coworker (who has tested positive) let us know...but so far our management hasn't told anyone. They actually didn't want to tell people since he hasn't been in the office for 14 days and no one else is "sick," but everyone already knows since word travels fast. I know their fear, though: our department has been in contact with hundreds of teachers in the last week taking and handing out laptops. We've taken precautions...but some are more lax than others.

Hopefully I should get a call tonight or tomorrow with my results.

38 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

No doubt, I have a lot of med center nursing friends who have been warning about the increases for a couple of weeks now.

Stay safe out there. Our positive cases and hospitalization rates are on that early trajectory. If you can, periodically check in on them; some of the nursing staff I'm working with are struggling. :( (Disclaimer: not saying they're harming themselves or anything, but it's not out of the realm of possibility since the emotional and physical stress is adding up.)