~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

We’ve only been doing it since literally before we were an independent nation. Not sure why it took everybody else so long to notice!

In the post-WW2 era, I think there was a lot of great cooperation between the US and Europe/Canada.  I think the change happened in the post-cold war era, after the demise of the USSR as a credible threat/competitor.

18 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

In the post-WW2 era, I think there was a lot of great cooperation between the US and Europe/Canada.  I think the change happened in the post-cold war era, after the demise of the USSR as a credible threat/competitor.

I think it is important to make a distinction between when interests happen to align vs actors intentionally aligning interests.

57 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

That's clearly happening -- not because of this, but other reasons.  It is clear that the US will act in its short-term interests, to the exclusion of its long-term common interests with allies.

47 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Nah we are way more unstable now than we have been since the 1800s. You can't count on us for anything because conservatives will smash any treaty or deal made by democrats when they get power.

Also this Supreme Court is losing quickly the respect it once commanded with its partisan hackery. 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think it is important to make a distinction between when interests happen to align vs actors intentionally aligning interests.

I think what helped before was that both major US parties had a general consensus about what was in the best interest of the US (whether that be protecting against Soviet encroachment, resource issues, trade issues, etc). But now the two parties are diametrically opposed on so many things that should be agreed upon. For example (thinking of Canada, here):

• US wants to have American cars dominate in Canada. To make this work, they agree to per capita manufacturing within Canada so there are no tariff issues. This helps both countries. But US protectionism disrupts this, if it rises in one party or another
  • US wants to have the arctic under their control, not Russia's. But GOP might not give a shit about this in the future, leaving Canada to deal with Russia alone (which means not being able to)

If American policy rubber bands between two positions over and over, it makes it difficult for other countries to work with them. In the past, it was worth making compromises to get the US into big international deals because the US brought a lot of power to bear. But if you start to doubt that the US will even stay in a treaty or agreement for more than 2 years, why include them at all? That hurts the US as well as everyone else, since US interests are no longer considered for compromises in those agreements (such as IP protection, etc).

55 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Someone doesn't know about aboriginal English or Pidgin English. 

It's real, and a real language... but when I first learned of it, it felt like it was the most racist thing I have ever heard. Now, that's not to say there are racist origins for why Pidgin English exists. But it's not just some fake racist language. 

Oh great, I shared that Joe Rogan article I posted on my Facebook, and now some girl I used to know but haven't spoken to since I took a one year course with her back in 2009 is messaging me going, "then you aren't listening" and "you're angry because Joe is famous and smart enough to have credible people on who cite their sources", "you need to research on where you're getting your false information". Ugh. I remember her posting more right wing stuff lately, even posting support for Maxime Bernier during the last election. 

The world would be a better place if fewer people listened to Joe Rogan. 

• True 3

8 minutes ago, CayceG said:

It's real, and a real language... but when I first learned of it, it felt like it was the most racist thing I have ever heard. Now, that's not to say there are racist origins for why Pidgin English exists. But it's not just some fake racist language. 

BBC Pidgin definitely feels insanely racist even knowing it's a real language.

_122709406_hi073081925.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

One royal source say, dem no go call Prince Andrew His Royal Highness, or HRH again. Like Harry and Meghan, Prince Andrew go retain im title HRH but e no go use am officially.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

pidgin.png
WWW.BBC.COM

We dey give una latest tori on top politics, environment, business, sports, entertainment, health, fashion and all di oda things wey dey happen for West and Central Africa come add di rest of di...

Read this page and get your mind blown

6 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

That's clearly happening -- not because of this, but other reasons.  It is clear that the US will act in its short-term interests, to the exclusion of its long-term common interests with allies.

When you can expect a complete reversal of trade policy every four years or so, that's not great for business.

7 hours ago, CayceG said:

I think the weird thing is if it was actually a translation why was she reading off a paper? Couldn't she interpret it from what he was saying?

5 hours ago, Jason said:

I could be very, very wrong, but I don't think this omicron surge is going to result in the worst surge of Covid deaths. My wife's hospital isn't even at half of the number of patients that they were at the height of the initial 2020 surge and they're getting much better outcomes. 

This reads like unnecessarily alarmist clout seeking. 

glenn-youngkin-and-masks.jpeg?quality=85
WWW.NBCWASHINGTON.COM

Virginia’s next governor, Glenn Youngkin, said he will lift the state’s school mask mandate and change other COVID-19 policies after taking office Jan. 15.

School districts will be able to keep mask recommendations in place, but parents can choose not to follow them.

:facepalm:

8 hours ago, Chollowa said:

I could be very, very wrong, but I don't think this omicron surge is going to result in the worst surge of Covid deaths. My wife's hospital isn't even at half of the number of patients that they were at the height of the initial 2020 surge and they're getting much better outcomes. 

This reads like unnecessarily alarmist clout seeking. 

Not sure what state you live in, but Florida (specifically, Orlando-area) is pretty bad: A491-C670-903-B-4-C8-F-A56-E-A508488888-

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

If we knew the reason as to why it’s not spreading there, that would be useful information!

Excellent mask discipline, high vaccine rates, and incredibly robust tracking and tracing infrastructure is why South Korea is having such an easy time with it. 

1 minute ago, CayceG said:

Excellent mask discipline, high vaccine rates, and incredibly robust tracking and tracing infrastructure is why South Korea is having such an easy time with it. 

Though they are expecting it to hit in a few weeks with cases around 9000 a day.

Masks are required everywhere, these days vaccines are required for restaurants/cafes/gyms (if you are unvaccinated you are allowed in to a restaurant but you have to sit alone, lol). Vaccines will soon be required for major grocery stores as well. The vaccine pass is a QR code tied to your national ID number so it's pretty hard to fake. And the pass expires after 6 months unless you get boosted.