~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

right-wing talking points disintegrating by the day

220119123058-covid-hospital-massachusett
WWW.CNN.COM

Both vaccination and prior infection help protect against new Covid-19 infections, but vaccination protects against hospitalization significantly more than natural immunity from prior infection alone, according to a study published Wednesday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

31 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

right-wing talking points disintegrating by the day

220119123058-covid-hospital-massachusett
WWW.CNN.COM

Both vaccination and prior infection help protect against new Covid-19 infections, but vaccination protects against hospitalization significantly more than natural immunity from prior infection alone, according to a study published Wednesday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

All of that scar tissue and lingering trauma from previous infections probably don't help out very much.

My sister tested positive today. She’s immunocompromised, so she’s been taking things seriously, has all her shots, etc. But she’s a high school teacher and they’ve been in person for at least the last year, so it seemed inevitable at a certain point. Luckily her symptoms are pretty mild. She cancelled our weekly dinner, even though I told her I wouldn’t mind a couple paid weeks off from work. Her and her pesky “ethics” :p

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Hmm...I'm starting to think that vaccinated people might be angry at unvaccinated people:

To be clear—that headline is clickbait. The actual question was if Canadians support a few days of jail time if vaccination became mandatory and people still refused. Still...

Other things Canadian feel:

• 2/3 support mandatory vaccination for people 5+
  • 77% support barring the unvaccinated from stores, bars, restaurants, theatres, etc (already a reality in most of Canada)
  • 61% support unvaccinated people paying for the cost of their medical treatment
  • 61% support having a monthly tax for being unvaccinated (to cover increased healthcare costs for Canada)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

@chakooour local ISD is now offering $300 per month retention bonuses for subs 😂

Our district bumped pay for subs to a whole $125/day for those with bachelors. They're having such a hard time finding people that the transportation literally called us this morning offering to pay US $20/day if we'd pick up my oldest from school, ourselves.

In totally unrelated news, my wife, a special needs teacher, quit. Being a teacher sucks right now. She was killing herself playing multiple roles due to a lack of staff and not great pay. Nothing like getting home and working hours into the night on her own dime. It was so much that it was actually affecting her health. She was offered a 30% raise to be a residential therapist at a boarding school, so that's an easy choice to make.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Our district bumped pay for subs to a whole $125/day for those with bachelors. They're having such a hard time finding people that the transportation literally called us this morning offering to pay US $20/day if we'd pick up my oldest from school, ourselves.

In totally unrelated news, my wife, a special needs teacher, quit. Being a teacher sucks right now. She was killing herself playing multiple roles due to a lack of staff and not great pay. Nothing like getting home and working hours into the night on her own dime. It was so much that it was actually affecting her health. She was offered a 30% raise to be a residential therapist at a boarding school, so that's an easy choice to make.

Good for her. I think the only thing keeping a lot of teachers around is loyalty to other teachers and love of the kids. It’s not sustainable and we’re really going to have problems with class sizes in the coming years or a marked reduction in quality of teachers (and it goes without saying that those most impacted will be the ones who need education from the state the most)

My assface province decided that since our cases were currently lower than other places in Canada per capita, that means we were doing something incredibly right. They were warned, of course, that we were simply 2-3 weeks behind in terms of the Omicron wave, but the premier and government hand-waived that away, and as a result said that no new measures were needed (in terms of business support, planning for increased hospital loads, etc). Well...

TZZ6J73.png

Now the talking points have shifted to:

• Well MANY of those cases are INCIDENTAL
  • The peak is still only 2/3 of the max peak from Delta!!!!

Then if you bring up the fact that there are massive staff shortages due to burnout as well as them having COVID, it turns to:

• Do you know how many staff and beds there are? Oh you don't have exact numbers? Then you're lying!

Like...two of the three hospitals in Saskatoon are now on full diversion and aren't accepting new ER admissions because their inpatient and ER wards are over capacity, with people in hallways, etc. Yeah the ICUs are still manageable, but the general hospital/ERs are not. So now urban patients are being directed to rural hospitals...but they are also full.

I'm pretty much all better now, just some slight congestion which honestly might be due to the winter weather.

My dad who is in his mid 70s got it late last week and had even milder case than me and mine was essentially a cold, he is also fully vaxxed and boosted. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Good for her. I think the only thing keeping a lot of teachers around is loyalty to other teachers and love of the kids. It’s not sustainable and we’re really going to have problems with class sizes in the coming years or a marked reduction in quality of teachers (and it goes without saying that those most impacted will be the ones who need education from the state the most)

That was her biggest struggle. She's a special needs teacher and a damn good one at that. In the first half of the year, she managed to get her students from a failing grade the previous year to honors.

Just everyone is getting sick. Half of parents are demanding classes remain in person while the other half is pissed they aren't offering remote. The kids are stuck in the middle and as teachers leave, they're doubling up teachers with extra students and subjects.

"You're specials needs, right? Think you can also take over math while that teacher is out with COVID?" Actual conversation my wife had.

Still, stuck with it because of the students until she found herself in the hospital for a week over nearly working herself to death. Let's not even get started that she had to travel half way across the state to even find a hospital with room for her.

I don't know how politicians expect this to end. Most parents can't afford to send their kids to premier private schools and even if they could, they don't have room for everyone. Also, charter schools don't magically have more money than public schools, so the pay is often shittier without union backing.

We must keep schools open for the economy, but let's also not do anything to make sure they can function or remain open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • True 1

As a teacher, I've been giving up my prep everyday to cover somebody else's class since we do not have enough subs. Which means I don't really have time for grading. I'm pretty behind on that but I'm not going to do it at home or stay really late. 

• Like 3

image.jpg
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

The Omicron variant, which is spreading far faster than previous versions of the coronavirus, is not likely to help countries achieve so-called herd immunity against COVID-19, leading disease experts say.

The Omicron variant, which is spreading far faster than previous versions of the coronavirus, is not likely to help countries achieve so-called herd immunity against COVID-19, in which enough people become immune to the virus that it can no longer spread, leading disease experts say.

From the earliest days of the pandemic, public health officials have expressed hope that it was possible to achieve herd immunity against COVID-19, as long as a high enough percentage of the population was vaccinated or infected with the virus.

Those hopes dimmed as the coronavirus mutated into new variants in quick succession over the past year, enabling it to reinfect people who were vaccinated or had previously contracted COVID-19.

We've never achieved "herd immunity" with influenza or the common cold either, but so what?  Both of those are now completely manageable conditions and COVID-19 certainly appears to be evolving in that direction as well.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
image.jpg
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

The Omicron variant, which is spreading far faster than previous versions of the coronavirus, is not likely to help countries achieve so-called herd immunity against COVID-19, leading disease experts say.

We've never achieved "herd immunity" with influenza or the common cold either, but so what?  Both of those are now completely manageable conditions and COVID-19 certainly appears to be evolving in that direction as well.

Yup. We are ever closer to the “learn to live with it” phase.

I am having major issues finding masks that fit. I have a narrow nose bridge, and there is always a gap on either side, even with N95s. I've tried various brands of KN95s, N95s, and even KF94s. The only kind that I can get a seal with are ECAN95s, but the brand is sold out everywhere. I have about 40 left, but it's getting frustrating.

I decided to buy Pacific Rim on 4k bluray and ir looks amazing can't recommend it enough. It makes me nostalgic for a time when humans giving up on their best hope to fight kaiju to build a stupid wall. At the time I felt how could someone be so stupid to think a wall could stop Kaiju attacks. 

Now between COVID, climate change, and MAGA/far right ideologies ya I can see people believing that. Shit half of the US would think kaiju attacks are a hoax.