~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

@sblfilms So when are you going to become a substitute teacher? :devil:

25f5d9e1-classroom_1558046981232_7277762
WWW.FOX7AUSTIN.COM

According to Hays CISD, parents would still have to apply, pass the fingerprint criminal background check, and do orientation to become substitute teachers.

What could go wrong with having 18 year olds substitute teach other 18 year olds?

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There’s a kid WHO IS SYMPTOMATIC in my wife’s classroom right now that they won’t isolate because they “can’t find a route of exposure” and can’t/won’t test. 

so let’s see how well kn95 masks and boosters work

My teacher friends are losing their minds over all the BS this school year, one who has 15 years into a really good pension system is thinking very hard about completely switching careers.

4 minutes ago, elbobo said:

My teacher friends are losing their minds over all the BS this school year, one who has 15 years into a really good pension system is thinking very hard about completely switching careers.

There’s not a day that goes by that my wife or her teacher friends don’t openly discuss leaving teaching in very specific ways and hardly a week goes by without one of my daughters teachers or a teacher at my wife’s school where there’s an announcement that so-and-so is leaving mid year.  We had one of her friends quit to work at a brewery! And they’re making more money doing that! Just pouring beer in front of house stuff!

Here's the Kafkaesque situation in my province:

• 2 years ago the government forces all school divisions to move to the same SIS (student information system), which is run by the government. It sucks, of course
  • This week they told school divisions to keep track of COVID absences, and if they get over 10% in a day then the school will be shut down and go remote
  • There is no way to do this in the SIS
  • This is brought up, and the government (with one day before the report is required) says they can look into adding the functionality...as an "enhancement." 
  • Enhancement = divisions request feature and have to pay for it

We already have figured a way to do this by scanning all absences for key words, exporting the data from the DB into PowerBI and then generating reports every day...but not all divisions will have the know-how. So some divisions will maybe end up paying the government to add a feature to a government-owned program that they are legally required to purchase and use...and the feature certainly won't be out for tomorrow. Probably in a month or so.

@chakooi think our local ISD just went up to $200/day for substitute teachers, and there is work available 5 days a week. Prior to Covid it was $80/day and the most in demand people got maybe 3 days a week.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

@chakooi think our local ISD just went up to $200/day for substitute teachers, and there is work available 5 days a week. Prior to Covid it was $80/day and the most in demand people got maybe 3 days a week.

So what class you taking? I think Econ or math would be a good fit. Get them kids caught up on how to run their own drive in.

:hmm:

-edit-

I think I read that the district in question from the article also upped their rates from $80 to $100 a day.

13 minutes ago, chakoo said:

So what class you taking? I think Econ or math would be a good fit. Get them kids caught up on how to run their own drive in.

:hmm:

-edit-

I think I read that the district in question from the article also upped their rates from $80 to $100 a day.

Largest division in my province (Saskatoon Public) just announced they are re-assigning non-teacher staff to fill in as substitutes and caretakers. If my division does that (we are 4th-largest in province) then I doubt IT staff would be re-assigned...but if we are, I'm wheeling in a TV cart and playing Seinfeld!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Largest division in my province (Saskatoon Public) just announced they are re-assigning non-teacher staff to fill in as substitutes and caretakers. If my division does that (we are 4th-largest in province) then I doubt IT staff would be re-assigned...but if we are, I'm wheeling in a TV cart and playing Seinfeld!

"Ugh, why is this dork substitute making us watch this lame retro TV show?" 

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Take over the computer lab and force the kids to do Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing.

Also, it appears that this wave is going to stress the inpatient capacity at hospitals more than ICU. We are seeing record admissions to the ER and regular hospital, but not as much to ICU. That's a good thing, of course (in terms of meaning fewer deaths, etc), but the risk now is overwhelming the normal hospital system (which leads to delays for surgeries, cancer treatments, etc), affecting long-term outcomes for many people.

33 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also, it appears that this wave is going to stress the inpatient capacity at hospitals more than ICU. We are seeing record admissions to the ER and regular hospital, but not as much to ICU. That's a good thing, of course (in terms of meaning fewer deaths, etc), but the risk now is overwhelming the normal hospital system (which leads to delays for surgeries, cancer treatments, etc), affecting long-term outcomes for many people.

We almost assuredly will have more life years lost to the indirect effects of Covid than the direct effects.

_122696040_gettyimages-1236772613.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

The father is not allowed to see the 12-year-old until next month - unless he gets vaccinated.

A Canadian father who has not been vaccinated against Covid has temporarily lost the right to see his 12-year-old child.

A judge ruled his visits would not be in the child's "best interest".

It followed a request by the father to extend his visiting time during the holidays.

The judgement is the first depriving a parent of access rights on immunisation grounds, a family law expert told Le Devoir newspaper.

The judge's decision, made at the end of last month in Quebec province, suspends the father's visitation rights until February, unless he decides to get vaccinated.

Gotta ask for anyone who got Omicron. How has your sleep and appetite been since you got it? My entire family, well sister and mom, are battling it right now and share a lot of the same stuff I had and still have going on. Non of us have any appetite and even the site/smell of food can be nauseating to us. Sister right now walks away if the Food Network and food ads are on tv, because it makes her feel that sick. Some days my food intake is just a slice of bread with creamy peanut butter and a couple olives. That’s it, minus a Pepsi or 2 as well. Non of us are sleeping great with tossing and turning and night sweets (even with winter windows open) Just can’t sleep and sadly even my pot isn’t doing the job anymore. Hopefully this won’t be happening for much longer, but it sure feels like my more intense long hauler shit is back again

50 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Gotta ask for anyone who got Omicron. How has your sleep and appetite been since you got it? My entire family, well sister and mom, are battling it right now and share a lot of the same stuff I had and still have going on. Non of us have any appetite and even the site/smell of food can be nauseating to us. Sister right now walks away if the Food Network and food ads are on tv, because it makes her feel that sick. Some days my food intake is just a slice of bread with creamy peanut butter and a couple olives. That’s it, minus a Pepsi or 2 as well. Non of us are sleeping great with tossing and turning and night sweets (even with winter windows open) Just can’t sleep and sadly even my pot isn’t doing the job anymore. Hopefully this won’t be happening for much longer, but it sure feels like my more intense long hauler shit is back again

My sleep only sucks because i have an 1 year old, never had any appetite issues, and while i lost smell everything tasted the same, but all my symptoms have completely resolved themselves.

• Like 1

There is also language suggesting that OSHA could come back with a narrower mandate for employees who work in "particularly crowded or cramped environments." Not sure SCOTUS would uphold it, but they're conspicuously leaving the door open. 

All-in-all, I'm not sure that the Biden administration is necessarily all THAT upset with this ruling, especially with the win on healthcare workers.

_122666928_coviddoctor.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Europe has fewer Covid patients in hospital now. Why are the US and Canada bucking the Omicron trend?

Experts point to several reasons why the rate of Covid patients in hospital is higher in North America than in most other parts of the world.

Professor David Larsen, an epidemiologist and global health expert at Syracuse University in New York, told the BBC that the US population is markedly different from that of both Europe and South Africa.

"We have an older population than South Africa. That's a big one," he said. "[The US] is kind of similar in age structure to Europe. But there's also a less healthy population than in Europe."

As examples, Dr Larsen noted that rates of hypertension and obesity - both of which are comorbidities that increase the risk of Covid - are higher in the US than in most other countries.

That should've been the only line in the entire article :p