~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

9 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Excellent mask discipline, high vaccine rates, and incredibly robust tracking and tracing infrastructure is why South Korea is having such an easy time with it. 

I would say the private gathering cap, and a population willing to adhere to it, is far and away the best tool to slow the spread. There is a reason the holidays are such a common launching point for Covid waves, and it is because of in home gatherings. I think South Korea is still like 4 or 5 people gatherings max.

Just now, sblfilms said:

I would say the private gathering cap, and a population willing to adhere to it, is far and away the best tool to slow the spread. There is a reason the holidays are such a common launching point for Covid waves, and it is because of in home gatherings. I think South Korea is still like 4 or 5 people gatherings max.

Just got increased to 6. Let's see what happens after Lunar New Year.

15 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Excellent mask discipline, high vaccine rates, and incredibly robust tracking and tracing infrastructure is why South Korea is having such an easy time with it. 

A lot of Europe has mask laws in place and high vaccination rates and the cases are soaring just as here. Maybe it’s the tracing infrastructure.

53 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Though they are expecting it to hit in a few weeks with cases around 9000 a day.

Masks are required everywhere, these days vaccines are required for restaurants/cafes/gyms (if you are unvaccinated you are allowed in to a restaurant but you have to sit alone, lol). Vaccines will soon be required for major grocery stores as well. The vaccine pass is a QR code tied to your national ID number so it's pretty hard to fake. And the pass expires after 6 months unless you get boosted.

The only place the government won't regulate is churches. It's quite infuriating really. Churchgoers have the worst behaviors (no masks, won't follow contact tracing rules) yet the least regulations. In fact omicron first came to Korea because via Christian missionaries returning to the country who promptly broke quarantine rules. You're supposed to drive yourself home from the airport or use a special service yet they used a friend to drive them, didn't tell anyone after they tested positive, and that driver went on to infect a whole bunch of others.

18 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@Iculus - has your wife discussed what the mood/morale is like at the CDC these days?

A lot talk about going to the basement and letting the "real shit" out. Jokes! (maybe) 

Her department has basically been made obsolete during the pandemic.

No one says that they work at the CDC anymore, and that's a shame really. 

• Sad 1

On 1/14/2022 at 1:12 PM, CitizenVectron said:

But my convenience!

image.jpg
TORONTO.CTVNEWS.CA

A 30-year-old Ontario woman diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer has had her surgery postponed indefinitely and says it could be too late to save her if the procedure...

Just a follow up on this. Today they announced that they have a new date of January 26th for her surgery I don’t know how that happen

• Like 3

In news that absolutely nobody could have predicted, the insurance reimbursement for at home tests is already proving to be a gigantic clusterfuck.

Uncertain of what the rules will be, Ms. Hogue is advising her clients to save not just receipts but also the boxes that the tests come in, because some plans may require the boxes as proof of purchase.

Consumers that go to an out-of-network store will need to submit receipts for reimbursement, and the plan will only have to pay $12 per test (or $24 for a kit with two tests). If the sticker price is higher, the patient will be responsible for the additional charges.

14up-rapid-testing1-facebookJumbo.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Not all health plans will be ready for the Covid tests to be free upfront at stores, relying at first on receipts and reimbursement.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

In news that absolutely nobody could have predicted, the insurance reimbursement for at home tests is already proving to be a gigantic clusterfuck.

14up-rapid-testing1-facebookJumbo.jpg
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Not all health plans will be ready for the Covid tests to be free upfront at stores, relying at first on receipts and reimbursement.

This was the most predictable thing possible to have happened.  These tests are like $24 for a two pack, and submitting a receipt to get that back is not worth the time or effort.  Saying insurance would cover the rapid home tests was mostly symbolic.

13 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Not sure what state you live in, but Florida (specifically, Orlando-area) is pretty bad: A491-C670-903-B-4-C8-F-A56-E-A508488888-

We're in San Diego, California. That is basically making the same point I was making. This isn't going to be the worst surge of covid deaths because not as many people are going to die, even though the number of people hospitalized might end up higher than it was at the peak. But I don't even think that is going to happen. From what I understand even the people that are being hospitalized are not spending as much time in the hospital as they were in previous waves of the virus. 

I just don't know how the type of histrionics displayed in the tweet are helpful in any way. 

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's the collective will to do what's best for their country and not the over emphasis on the individual. 

It's probably the biggest difference between America and the rest of the western world, and the root cause of likely so much of the US' flaws: the different balance between the needs of the many versus the needs of the individual.

• True 1

This is in my city. Talk about missing the point.

Local officials are investigating fliers found at several school sites Thursday that are linking vaccine debates to antisemitism.

The fliers were found at Grant, McKinley, Edison, Will Rogers, Roosevelt, Lincoln and John Adams campuses. They feature a large red “A” and an overlapping green “V” that form a Star of David design. They also contain the words “anti-vaxxer” and a phone number to report individuals who are against vaccines.

The number links to a Kentucky-based organization that identifies itself as “The Safer Tomorrow Organization.”

Texts to the number return with an automated message.

“As you are well aware, anti-vaxxers 💉  are endangering us from getting out of this pandemic. Most importantly, they are endangering future generations – our children. 😢 We are starting to collect (but not act on) information on anti-vaxxers. That way we can work toward a solution together as a society,” said the response.

“Thank you for caring when they don’t!”

The service then offers to take a report and asks for as much information as possible.

In a joint statement, SMMUSD and the City condemned the fliers.

“Santa Monica rejects bigotry of any kind and antisemitic rhetoric, intolerance, harassment, and violence have no place in our schools or in our community,” said the statement. “We are deeply offended by the antisemitic posters, falsely and nefariously representing pro-vaccine propaganda found at several of our schools. They have been removed from all campuses and Santa Monica Police Department is investigating the incident. We collectively want to ensure that all of our students, families, and staff, no matter their race, religion, or other identity feel safe and welcomed in our schools and in our community.”

At Thursday’s SMMUSD Board meeting, Boardmember Jon Kean said the language being used in the community around vaccines was unacceptable. He said the fliers at local schools were part of a trend that included people calling Mayor Himmelrich a Nazi during debate over a local vaccine mandate and individuals using gas chamber descriptions in communication to the Board.

He said as a Jew himself and a scholar of the Holocaust, he was disgusted by the language.

Grant-fence-signs.jpg
WWW.SMDP.COM

<!-- wp:paragraph --> Local officials are investigating fliers found at several school sites Thursday that are linking vaccine debates to antisemitism. <!-- /wp:paragraph --> <!-- wp:paragraph --> The fliers were

Like, this is clearly the run of the mill rightwing "vaccine passports are the same as the yellow stars the Nazis made the Jews wear" nonsense, not pro-vaccine propaganda that Jews are antivaxxers.

9 hours ago, Chollowa said:

We're in San Diego, California. That is basically making the same point I was making. This isn't going to be the worst surge of covid deaths because not as many people are going to die, even though the number of people hospitalized might end up higher than it was at the peak. But I don't even think that is going to happen. From what I understand even the people that are being hospitalized are not spending as much time in the hospital as they were in previous waves of the virus. 

I just don't know how the type of histrionics displayed in the tweet are helpful in any way. 

Not a tweet, DM from someone I know. Also, not in response to your comment on deaths, but in response to this “My wife's hospital isn't even at half of the number of patients that they were at the height of the initial 2020 surge”, as Orlando’s hospitals are seemingly overfilled with incredulous wait times. California has mask laws back in effect, correct? That could also explain the stark difference.

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

If he had won this Australian Open, he would have been considered the undisputed greatest tennis player of all time. Haha get fucked Joker.

If "being considered the undisputed greatest tennis player of all time" means picking over the dregs of Rafa and Federer in a relative talent void, sure.

12 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

If "being considered the undisputed greatest tennis player of all time" means picking over the dregs of Rafa and Federer in a relative talent void, sure.

I don’t understand what your trying to say here lol.