~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Ontario-Returns-to-School-An-Overview-of-the-Science_20220112-1.pdf (covid19-sciencetable.ca)

Ontario Science Council makes recommendation that schools should remain open:

• Ontario evidence shows that school closures are associated with substantial mental health and educational attainment harms. These risks are cumulative and are disproportionately experienced among families from marginalized groups.
  • Emerging evidence suggests Ontarians aged 5-19 years appear to be at low risk of hospitalization and severe disease from Omicron, compared to other ages. Hospitalization risk is further reduced by vaccination.
  • Existing evidence suggests that closures of in-person learning has a smaller effect on community spread of SARS-CoV-2 compared to many other public health measures.
  • Vaccination, ventilation and filtration, cohorting, testing, staying home when sick and high-quality masks mitigate risks of SARS-CoV-2 transmission in schools. It is important to prioritize these resources for schools in high-risk communities.

Too bad they didn't make this recommendation two weeks ago.

6 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Are they still saying that Omicron cases will begin to crest in the next couple of weeks?  My family is asking me what I want to do for my birthday, but if things don't improve, I'm not going anywhere.

Probably overall infections but hospitializations and deaths are just starting to ramp up. That will be going for months. 

11 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Are they still saying that Omicron cases will begin to crest in the next couple of weeks?  My family is asking me what I want to do for my birthday, but if things don't improve, I'm not going anywhere.

It will probably crest in different areas at different times.  It may have crested already in some of the early/hard-hit areas.  But, you only REALLY know when your several weeks beyond it.

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

Probably overall infections but hospitializations and deaths are just starting to ramp up. That will be going for months. 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It will probably crest in different areas at different times.  It may have crested already in some of the early/hard-hit areas.  But, you only REALLY know when your several weeks beyond it.

Good to know.  Just want to see how valid my excuse will be when I say I don't want to go lol

5 hours ago, ort said:

I have a really unhealthy amount of anger for COVID downplayers/anti-vaxxers.

Finding out my aunt is anti-vax and has been arguing with her mother, my asthmatic/diabetic grandmother, about being forced to wear masks whenever she visits... and hearing she visited my grandmother on Christmas after getting a positive test result makes me livid. I don't even take my kids to see her. They've only ever seen her the last couple of years outdoors, when it's nice out. We only lucked out from a false positive after her PCR results came back negative days later.

My patience had run so wildly thin with these people.

It's not the recklessness with their own bodies that's upsetting. It's the blasé attitude toward others.

• Guillotine 1

7 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

I can't take anyone seriously who uses the term "jab" for the vaccine.  Especially in America, where the term is a term of derision - IE 95% of the people who use the word are anti-vaccine or vaccine skeptics. 

I've noticed this as well. 

220112014150-gov-jim-justice-file-110320
WWW.CNN.COM

The chief of staff for West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice said the governor was "not doing well" after testing positive for Covid-19 on Tuesday.

"He's getting the care, and I think he's trying to put up a strong front in front of us. When you talk to him, you know, he's not doing well," the chief of staff said.

"You can hear the congestion, hear the distress in his voice. He's being brave but you can tell it's affecting him," Abraham told the paper.

He's vaccinated and boosted but, as you can probably see, he is fucking huge.

603d4170bf836.image.jpg?resize=1200,828

31543976164_e05483c0ef_z.jpg

I hope he does OK; he's been a big advocate for getting vaccinated and boosted.

"I ask everyone to continue praying for the 5,452 great West Virginians that we've lost," the governor said. "We need to keep pulling the rope together. We're going to get through this and put an end to this terrible pandemic once and for all."

Justice, a Republican reelected in 2020, has been a fervent advocate for vaccinations and booster doses throughout the pandemic, often using direct language when speaking to constituents about the benefits of inoculation.

"If you're out there in West Virginia, and you're not vaccinated today, what's the downside?" Justice said in July. "If all of us were vaccinated, do you not believe that less people would die? If you're not vaccinated, you're part of the problem rather than part of the solution."