Trump Rolls Back Michelle Obama’s School Lunch Nutrition Rules

7 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

To be honest, I'd rather we attack this issue by having people taught about how to eat healthy and choosing to do so, rather than being forced to. I don't think rolling this back does any good at all, though.

There are many kids who do not eat at home and their only meals during the school year are at school

Just now, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

They need more than just calories and fat but yes that would be necessary.

I'm well aware, I'm also well aware that when my daughter comes home from school after her healthy school lunches, she is hungry the second she gets home 100% of the time. And she's only 5. I can't imagine what a kid who doesn't eat at home is doing once their carrots and whole grain wheat bread is digested is doing for sustenance.

Also if we've got kids who are literally only eating one meal per day, that's a far bigger issue than what the school is feeding them, and should be addressed directly and not treated as a supplemental justification for the government telling people what they should eat.

When I worked at a school I was pretty close to the guys in the kitchen, and the parameters for the program really aren't that onerous. You can basically make whatever you want so long as you work with your supply vendor to make sure it stays within the guidelines (but we were a school of 150 kids, so scale could be an issue). And the meals were good too! The only real issue was portion size; the program dictates pretty meager portion sizes (definitely not enough for a growing kid).

As a man with a six year old son, I can't say I have any faith in a more calorie dense meal making kids come home less hungry.  Growing kids are growing kids, they're going to be hungry no matter what.  I've never seen any correlation between him eating a super healthy but nutritious and satiating meal or eating pure junk and not wanting a snack later on anyway.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

It's an open-faced sandwich.

But is an open-faced sandwich really a sandwich? For something to be sandwiched it needs to be "inserted or squeezed (someone or something) between two other people or things, typically in a restricted space or so as to be uncomfortable." An open-faced sandwich is not a sandwich at all. Instead, wouldn't an open-faced sandwich be closer to a pizza or a pie? 

On 1/17/2020 at 10:03 PM, Xbob42 said:

To be honest, I'd rather we attack this issue by having people taught about how to eat healthy and choosing to do so, rather than being forced to. I don't think rolling this back does any good at all, though.

We do.   Parents of these kids just dont care.  

On that note....I've been shot down like 8 or 9 times at PTA meetings for suggesting we have longer recesses and regular everyday gym class.

12 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Pizza was served at my school everyday as an option, along with a few types of sandwiches, if you didn't like the meal of the day. 

Yeah, but that pizza was always garbage. The salad bar was also a joke.

6 hours ago, Jose said:

Yeah, but that pizza was always garbage. The salad bar was also a joke.

Our pizza wasn't bad, and we didn't have a salad bar, but we also had italian and ham and cheese subs that we could get and i got the italian sub a lot till they stopped making them, and i want to say they stopped making them cause they were deemed to not be healthy enough or something, lol.