Nintendo Switch Lite is a smaller, cheaper Switch built exclusively for handheld play ($199)

SaysWho?

8 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Hmm. I am both disappointed and perturbed that THIS is how I am perceived on these boards. I can honestly tell you (and everyone) I never intend to troll. Because that behavior is obnoxious. I just like talking about video games. Not sure how I’m coming off as trolling? I’ll be more cognizant of my posting from here on out.

Thanks for the info on Xenoblade. I appreciate it.

Oh, don't you worry, that comment was an underhanded, cowardly jab directed squarely at me.

You have a specific use case scenario. I actually might buy one of these, both for myself, and for our daughter to use. What it doesn't change, as I had originally pointed out, is that for $200, they gimped the Switch far too much. This thing goes on sale for $150, and packs a game in with it, then it's a good price point. As it stands now, far too many features have been removed, where the value doesn't match the price. But again, the price point seems to be geared more towards the early adapter tax market. 

29 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Hmm. I am both disappointed and perturbed that THIS is how I am perceived on these boards. I can honestly tell you (and everyone) I never intend to troll. Because that behavior is obnoxious. I just like talking about video games. Not sure how I’m coming off as trolling? I’ll be more cognizant of my posting from here on out.

Thanks for the info on Xenoblade. I appreciate it.

I don’t really think you mean to do it, but sometimes it’s like you’re so obtuse one has to wonder if you’re actually trolling. Saying things like you can’t understand why people would want to be tied to a tv? Come on, man!

Have we established whether or not you can share your purchases between two switches? If not, as I believe Nintendo has handled this in the past, then this is a no way for me. If we can however, then I may consider one as an adjunct to the main Switch for the kids to use. 

I REALLLYYY wish they would make a Joy-con with that new d-pad too.

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

Kinda wish they offered a no screen docked version only. I dont have much use for a portable system. 

Yea, taking out the screen and just making it a little AppleTV-esq box that comes with a pro controller could likely reduce the overall cost and have it retail at a similar $200 price. However, I’d imagine the market for people that only want to use it docked vs those who either want only portable or both isn’t large enough to warrant the R&D and actual production.

49 minutes ago, Anzo said:

Have we established whether or not you can share your purchases between two switches? If not, as I believe Nintendo has handled this in the past, then this is a no way for me. If we can however, then I may consider one as an adjunct to the main Switch for the kids to use. 

I would buy a joycon with a dpad in a heartbeat. 

1 hour ago, Anzo said:

Yeah, I’d love to know that. It’s not terribly clear. 

Not that i need any excuse to tempt me. :p 

1 hour ago, eggydoo said:

Not yet, been holding off since news broke out of a redesign.  I'm definitely preordering the lite though.

Then yeah, if you don’t own a Switch I can see this as a perfectly good option. Not so much if you already own the original though. 

12 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Then yeah, if you don’t own a Switch I can see this as a perfectly good option. Not so much if you already own the original though

I see it getting along well with my Vita which I still play frequently.  Let's hope it has Sony's infamous power saving on it as well.  I rarely have to charge the Vita playing it in spurts.

6 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Why would you purposely tether yourself to your TV when playing games, when you could instead relax ANYWHERE and play your games on that super sweet screen right in your hands? This Lite version will have an even smaller screen and will make the images appear even sharper. 

You lose touch screen functionality when playing docked, which sucks for Super Mario Maker 2, World of Goo, and other games like that. 

Handheld mode also allows use of headphones/earbuds which is an optimal way to hear game audio. At least, in my experience. 

Not too many advantages to playing on a TV, IMO. 

The joy of the Switch is that I can do both. Relax in front of my TV, and then take the Switch on the go, or play it in my bed. 

14 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I never use the Switch docked (why in the world would anyone dock it, ever?!) Why would you purposely tether yourself to your TV when playing games, when you could instead relax ANYWHERE and play your games on that super sweet screen right in your hands?

I have a dedicated entertainment room with a home theater (big screen TV/surround sound), so why would I want to play video games on a small handheld screen at home if I have the option to play them on a big screen TV with room filling sound?

I think that the Switch Lite is a great lower priced option for people who prefer handheld/portable gaming to home TV gaming, but for me gaming is something that I strictly do at home and I like to do it on a big screen TV with surround sound.

I admit that I find it a little surprising that Nintendo made a portable only Switch considering that the whole concept of the Switch is that it's a home TV and portable game system in one, the Switch name doesn't make sense with the Lite since you're not switching anything with it.

11 hours ago, HGLatinBoy said:

I’m still waiting for the perma docked version extra boost power that comes with Pro controller by default

This is what I want since I have no need for the portability function of the Switch. I don't want to pay extra money for something that I'm not going to use, which is what I would be doing if I bought the current Switch.

I need to wait for overall impressions before thinking about this, however if they go like-for-like with the pricing, I won't bother. If however, it releases for £160 in the UK, I could be very tempted as I doubt I'll ever really play in Docked mode.

13 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Why would you purposely tether yourself to your TV when playing games, when you could instead relax ANYWHERE and play your games on that super sweet screen right in your hands? This Lite version will have an even smaller screen and will make the images appear even sharper. 

You lose touch screen functionality when playing docked, which sucks for Super Mario Maker 2, World of Goo, and other games like that. 

Handheld mode also allows use of headphones/earbuds which is an optimal way to hear game audio. At least, in my experience. 

Does the Switch not offer headphone options docked? Because I can play with headphones or a headset whenever I want on a PS4.

15 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Again, not one thing you’ve said makes sense. I’m not tethered, I can pick it up and go anywhere. But I can’t think of anywhere I’d rather play games than on my couch. It’s like you took the opposite of logic and tried to pass it off as logic. 

Headphones? Seriously? No thanks, I’d rather use surround sound. And I don’t give a single damn about the crappy touch screen. I use it almost never.

n worries though, different strokes... just seems a very weird argument to make 

2 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Does the Switch not offer headphone options docked? Because I can play with headphones or a headset whenever I want on a PS4.

Only with headphones that have a USB adaptor.  My understanding is that Sony/MS's audio controller solutions do not use normal Bluetooth.

Someone once told me that normal Bluetooth audio adds a small delay which would cause the video and audio to become slightly out of sync, so Nintendo will never offer native Bluetooth on Switch.  I can't confirm if this is true, but it made sense to me at the time.

12 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Saying things like you can’t understand why people would want to be tied to a tv? Come on, man!

Well, that’s just what I’ve learned in my experience - handheld play is far superior to playing on a TV. And I feel I’ve explained my reasoning behind that opinion. But others have posted in this thread explaining why they feel playing on a TV is preferred, so...even though it doesn’t jive with me, then we simply have a difference of opinion. If that’s how they like to play games, then...hey. More power to them. 

Hopefully nobody was offended by my preference to play games. 

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You should get a smaller TV. Things will appear sharper!

You jest, but it’s true! It’s actually how VR works as well. Compare the Switch’s Labo VR to Playstation VR. Which looks sharper? And which has smaller screens?

Eh? Eh? ;)

Flawless, airtight logic. Completely irrefutable. I’ll take my Nobel Prize now. Please and thank you. :D 

23 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Only with headphones that have a USB adaptor.  My understanding is that Sony/MS's audio controller solutions do not use normal Bluetooth.

Someone once told me that normal Bluetooth audio adds a small delay which would cause the video and audio to become slightly out of sync, so Nintendo will never offer native Bluetooth on Switch.  I can't confirm if this is true, but it made sense to me at the time.

USB adapter or plugging it into the controller.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Beats wireless headphones used to have a major sync issue with video and audio. I have not looked at the newest Beats if this is still an issue. I would assume it isn’t. 

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

USB adapter or plugging it into the controller.

Not sure what your question is.  So...

My understanding is that gaming headphones that use a USB adaptor use a non-Bluetooth protocol to avoid audio delays.

I don't believe the current pro controller has a headphone jack.  I don't know if the current hardware in the Switch would be capable of outputting low "delay" hardware audio to a hypothetical future pro controller with a headphone jack -- or whether a witch hardware revision would be required too.

However, I had heard that standard Bluetooth audio would not provide a good experience.

My recollection was this was from a discussion by Will Smith (formerly of tested.com on the Bombcast) -- but I'm not 100% sure about that.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Not sure what your question is.  So...

My understanding is that gaming headphones that use a USB adaptor use a non-Bluetooth protocol to avoid audio delays.

I don't believe the current pro controller has a headphone jack.  I don't know if the current hardware in the Switch would be capable of outputting low "delay" hardware audio to a hypothetical future pro controller with a headphone jack -- or whether a witch hardware revision would be required too.

However, I had heard that standard Bluetooth audio would not provide a good experience.

My recollection was this was from a discussion by Will Smith (formerly of tested.com on the Bombcast) -- but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Looks like I misunderstood your post. Looks like you were describing what the Switch can do, when I thought you were saying that the PS4/Xbox only used head sets with usb adapters. Whoops.

But this answers all my questions so it's good!

:notsure: this thread

There is nothing wrong with those that like to only play their switch docked, just like there is nothing wrong with those that like to only play their switch in handheld mode.

I have a switch, I’ve repeatedly haven’t been a fan of its size (I still prefer my n3ds units over n3ds xl units, I even bought both at launch to try them out) and spend 80% of my gaming time still playing 3ds games. So this system works for me.

It’s ok if the new unit doesn’t focus exclusively on your wants. No everybody is the same. I’m not going to take issue when Nintendo eventually does the switch pro.