Nintendo Switch Lite is a smaller, cheaper Switch built exclusively for handheld play ($199)

SaysWho?

13 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

I don't have an issue with the Switch Lite... I have an issue with the $200 price point. 

You’ve said repeatedly that it is a bad product :lol:

6 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He says it's a bad product for $200

It would be a great product at $89.99!

That’s not what he said (“You couldn’t pay me to take one of those”), and that’s not how that works anyway. The quality of a product is separate from the value of the product.

1 hour ago, mo1518 said:

I would buy an official joycon with a dpad in a heartbeat. 

It has Nintendo's blessing. Hori has a good history and track record. I would trust them. I just play mostly with my pro controller and kickstand. I am planning to get one next month.

6 hours ago, Emblazon said:

I don't have an issue with the Switch Lite... I have an issue with the $200 price point. 

I don’t.  Its 1/3rd (less than) the price of the Switch.  It’s a dramatic cut.  Bigger than could have been expected, IMO.

Nintendo has never had a $100 spread between SKUs before this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

I don’t.  Its 1/3rd the price of the Switch.  It’s a dramatic cut.  Bigger than could have been expected, IMO.

Nintendo has never had a $100 spread between SKUs before this.

According to Nintendo pricing, doesn’t the dock alone explain the entire difference?

4 hours ago, Rodimus said:

It has Nintendo's blessing. Hori has a good history and track record. I would trust them. I just play mostly with my pro controller and kickstand. I am planning to get one next month.

Sure, but it doesn't have rumble, can't be used detached from the system. 

I can't imagine how Nintendo wouldn't make money if they made a joycon with a dpad. Seems like a no brainer. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

You're correct that smaller doesn't equal sharper, but it does appear sharper when viewed from the same distance. It's why a TV seems clearer when you sit six feet away rather than two.

That's viewing distance, not screen size as well as sub-pixel spacing becoming more apparent (which will happen regardless of screen size). Aliasing and other artifacts/imperfections on a smaller display becomes more noticeable in gaming as details become harder to make out due to the limited size (ie: things such as aliasing will now be spaced closer together and cause a more noticeable "shimmering" effect in some instances. It's why some games were unplayable for me on my nVidia Shield Handheld vs my nVidia Shield Tablet when using game stream, even though they are being rendered at the same resolution). Try playing a game while sitting 50 feet away from a 50" TV, then sit 5-6 feet away, tell me which had a more discernible image. On a 5" screen placed at optimal distance vs a 50" screen placed at optimal distance, the 5" screen will not appear "sharper", it will be more difficult to make out details which is the exact opposite effect.

44 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

That's viewing distance, not screen size as well as sub-pixel spacing becoming more apparent (which will happen regardless of screen size). Aliasing and other artifacts/imperfections on a smaller display becomes more noticeable in gaming as details become harder to make out due to the limited size (ie: things such as aliasing will now be spaced closer together and cause a more noticeable "shimmering" effect in some instances. It's why some games were unplayable for me on my nVidia Shield Handheld vs my nVidia Shield Tablet when using game stream, even though they are being rendered at the same resolution). Try playing a game while sitting 50 feet away from a 50" TV, then sit 5-6 feet away, tell me which had a more discernible image. On a 5" screen placed at optimal distance vs a 50" screen placed at optimal distance, the 5" screen will not appear "sharper", it will be more difficult to make out details which is the exact opposite effect.

I’m confused, the tablet and portable have different screen resolutions.

2 hours ago, mo1518 said:

Sure, but it doesn't have rumble, can't be used detached from the system. 

I can't imagine how Nintendo wouldn't make money if they made a joycon with a dpad. Seems like a no brainer. 

Sure but the Switch lite doesn't have rumble and you can't detach the joycons. So not that different than a lite.

It's not that I have an issue with this system.  I'm hoping for a revision model so there's more power in the system (ideally no sacrificing performance undocked), but this isn't what I'm looking for.

It's a great price point, and in terms of profitability, this will definitely get parents to buy a switch.  It's... eh for me?

6 hours ago, darkness35 said:

It's not that I have an issue with this system.  I'm hoping for a revision model so there's more power in the system (ideally no sacrificing performance undocked), but this isn't what I'm looking for.

It's a great price point, and in terms of profitability, this will definitely get parents to buy a switch.  It's... eh for me?

A Switch Lite Turbo would be good.

13 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Actually, it will appear sharper with a smaller screen. 

Compare image quality appearance between an OG 3DS versus a 3DS XL. 

Or a DS Lite compared to a DSiXL.

Or the GBA SP(+) to the Gameboy Micro.

Small appears sharper. No, it doesn’t make sense on paper. But  that’s the reality of it. At least, in my experience. 

Just a couple years in and Nintendo's already fucking things up with their weird alternative SKUs that literally destroy the entire selling point and namesake of the console. You can't "Switch" it, either with joy-cons or by switching from handheld to docked.  Awesome!

Might be less of a big deal if it didn't literally break functionality with multiple games. But hey, I'm sure the functionality to dock the fucking thing added at least 25 cents to the dev costs, so why not get rid of it? The joy-con thing isn't as big of a deal, except you'll need a second pair for shit like Pokemon Let's Go (which is a fantastic game) because the dipshits decided to limit control schemes to a single joy-con, detached, or that Pokeball controller. And at that point if you want to play games like that they've killed the point of making it handheld only as you're now carrying extra bullshit just to make some games playable, with some still not being playable at all since they REQUIRE docked mode.

Had it been exactly the same as what they've shown except I could also dock it, it'd be a no-brainer for me. Almost... I'd still prefer a clamshell design, but a more portable Switch is what I've been asking for, but not at the cost of core functionality for no apparent reason. I can't imagine the hardware required to allow you to dock it is wildly expensive, but everything about this announcement is just disappointment after disappointment for me. Standard modern Nintendo. They almost get there then trip at the finish line and fall into a spike pit.

11 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Just a couple years in and Nintendo's already fucking things up with their weird alternative SKUs that literally destroy the entire selling point and namesake of the console. You can't "Switch" it, either with joy-cons or by switching from handheld to docked.  Awesome!

Might be less of a big deal if it didn't literally break functionality with multiple games. But hey, I'm sure the functionality to dock the fucking thing added at least 25 cents to the dev costs, so why not get rid of it? The joy-con thing isn't as big of a deal, except you'll need a second pair for shit like Pokemon Let's Go (which is a fantastic game) because the dipshits decided to limit control schemes to a single joy-con, detached, or that Pokeball controller. And at that point if you want to play games like that they've killed the point of making it handheld only as you're now carrying extra bullshit just to make some games playable, with some still not being playable at all since they REQUIRE docked mode.

Had it been exactly the same as what they've shown except I could also dock it, it'd be a no-brainer for me. Almost... I'd still prefer a clamshell design, but a more portable Switch is what I've been asking for, but not at the cost of core functionality for no apparent reason. I can't imagine the hardware required to allow you to dock it is wildly expensive, but everything about this announcement is just disappointment after disappointment for me. Standard modern Nintendo. They almost get there then trip at the finish line and fall into a spike pit.

Yeah, fucking it up, just like they fucked up with all those DS and 3DS SKU's....

This is probably the smartest move they could of made. This is going to be under millions of x-mas trees. 

7 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

@Xbob42

So are you getting one at launch, or getting one after a sale/price drop? :p 

I won't be getting one at all because it doesn't meet my needs.

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

A spike pit where the spikes are made out of $100 bills maybe. They seem to be doing ok for themselves. 

Why the fuck does everyone act like we as consumers are supposed to give a crap about a company making money as though it proves a point? I was very clearly talking in terms of my personal preferences. Oh man, it'll probably sell a whole bunch, that means I should like it I guess! Better head out and buy some Jojo Siwa albums!

Nintendo selling a bunch of units does not mean they've made good decisions from any standpoint but dollar signs, which not a single person here should care about in any way unless they have significant stock in the company. Having a shitty online service, for example, is not excusable by there being a lot of Switches sold. God, I hate the default mindset we have as what, a nation? A species? To automatically assume wealth means great decisions were made, which if you couldn't tell from the tone of this reply, happens to be a way bigger point of contention for me than Nintendo shitting it up yet again.

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I won't be getting one at all because it doesn't meet my needs.

Why the fuck does everyone act like we as consumers are supposed to give a crap about a company making money as though it proves a point? I was very clearly talking in terms of my personal preferences. Oh man, it'll probably sell a whole bunch, that means I should like it I guess! Better head out and buy some Jojo Siwa albums!

Nintendo selling a bunch of units does not mean they've made good decisions from any standpoint but dollar signs, which not a single person here should care about in any way unless they have significant stock in the company. Having a shitty online service, for example, is not excusable by there being a lot of Switches sold. God, I hate the default mindset we have as what, a nation? A species? To automatically assume wealth means great decisions were made, which if you couldn't tell from the tone of this reply, happens to be a way bigger point of contention for me than Nintendo shitting it up yet again.

Look, you said they were fucking things up, and that is objectively bullshit. Period. Go off on any half cocked rant you want. Profit is always the metric a company uses for success. 

7 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Nintendo selling a bunch of units does not mean they've made good decisions from any standpoint but dollar signs

It means they made good choices based on the demands of the market. Your preferences are just that, your preferences. If there is one thing Nintendo has more often than not figured out, it is what a large percentage of the gamer public wants in regards to handheld gaming. They hit waaaaay more than they miss in that segment, and their hits are grand slams.

I think not being able to ‘dock’ it with an HDMI cord attachment is dumb.  Even if you’d have to use a Pro controller to play it like that.

I can also see where Nintendo is coming from though.  It’d be strange to sell you a console you couldn’t play on your TV without a $70 add-on. 

... for $100 less, I feel like the complaints are overblown.  What they’re charging is reasonable for what the Switch is.  Perfect for kids.  Also good for adults who want to try BoTW, but who don’t get overly excited about 900p gaming on their 4K TVs.

Look to the Wii Mini if you want to see a console SKU Nintendo truly fucked up.