Nintendo Switch Lite is a smaller, cheaper Switch built exclusively for handheld play ($199)

SaysWho?

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I don't think there are any games that don't support handheld mode. There are games that don't support docked mode, but not the other way around. The handheld only games are mostly just games that need the touchscreen.

From here, the games that don't support handheld mode are:

Labo

Mario Party

1-2 Switch

Just Dance

Fitness Boxing

I'm thinking this is a pass for me. I play mine docked a good chunk of the time. Still, an appealing device if you only want handheld mode. I'm only slightly tempted because of the improved battery life. My only complaint is the horrible color selection. 

I say I won't get one, but once they put out an appealing special edition...I'm gonna cave. :lol: 

24 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Nah, I'm over those days. I even sold a few of my 3DS LEs. 

I'd get a Fire Emblem LE for sure.  Maybe something else, depending on how it looks. 

Same unless something amazing comes out. Like the black and gold 3ds zelda i have.

I won't be buying this the battery life only improved an hour. For that i will just buy another as big as possible USB C power bank or two.

Though I don't think they would release a pro system this year now. I don't think Nintendo releases more then 1 refresh in a year. 

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

Same unless something amazing comes out. Like the black and gold 3ds zelda i have.

I won't be buying this the battery life only improved an hour. For that i will just buy another as big as possible USB C power bank or two.

Yea, I think I've decided that the only way I'll get this (mostly for my fiance so we don't have to share my OG Switch :p ) is if they offer a bundle that saves me at least $20-30 on a game I was already planning on buying like Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, or one of the Pokemon games (I have the steel box dual-pack pre-ordered, but I'd just cancel it and buy the other one separately).

25 minutes ago, Brick said:

Huh? Why wouldn't I want to dock to my big screen and relax on my couch while I play Zelda or Xenoblade? 

I play mainly handheld and I do get suprised when I play docked. Xenoblade is unplayable handheld but aside from that Zelda is gorgeous. Even SRW T looks great docked. I wish I could play docked more.

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, I think I've decided that the only way I'll get this (mostly for my fiance so we don't have to share my OG Switch :p ) is if they offer a bundle that saves me at least $20-30 on a game I was already planning on buying like Link's Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 3, or one of the Pokemon games (I have the steel box dual-pack pre-ordered, but I'd just cancel it and buy the other one separately).

Best we can probably hope for is 250 on the base switch or a game included. It still sells too well to discount significantly.

43 minutes ago, Brick said:

Huh? Why wouldn't I want to dock to my big screen and relax on my couch while I play Zelda or Xenoblade? 

I can't imagine playing Xenoblade in HH mode. My husband loves the game but said HH was pretty awful. 

I like a mix. I like being able to take it on the go when I need to, but some games just feel better played on the TV with the Pro controller. Like BotW or Bayonetta or Mario Odyssey. 

6 hours ago, Emblazon said:

It's a bad, overpriced product. We're sorry if being objective hurts your feelers. 

It's exactly what I need. I don't want to play on a TV, and being smaller means it's more portable, which is all that I want it for. I basically want to play Pokemon on the go, and don't need a full Switch. Why spend $100 more on features I will never want? You sound like the type of person that only buys super-sized meals because anything less is sub-optimal value.

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's exactly what I need. I don't want to play on a TV, and being smaller means it's more portable, which is all that I want it for. I basically want to play Pokemon on the go, and don't need a full Switch. Why spend $100 more on features I will never want? You sound like the type of person that only buys super-sized meals because anything less is sub-optimal value.

How did you know? I boycotted McDonald's after they stopped serving the 64oz Super-size drinks. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The regular switch does have a bigger screen. I'd over all recommend it if price isn't an issue or maybe a kid.

3 hours ago, JosephManderley said:

I need to know the thumbsticks are better as well, and don’t suffer from drift, as the joycons can’t be detached.

I'd like to know that too. My son has been playing my Switch like crazy the last 3 months and the left stick started acting up(drifting I guess, it acted like it was tilting to the right even when you weren't touching it). Made a lot of games impossible to play. I just took the joy con apart this weekend and replaced the stick. Works perfect now. But I'm REALLY not impressed with how short a life span I got out of that joystick. The stick that I removed, I took the whole inside of the stick apart and found the smallest dot of dust inside. If that tiny speck of dust caused that big of a problem thats a shitty design. 

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Why would you purposely tether yourself to your TV when playing games, when you could instead relax ANYWHERE and play your games on that super sweet screen right in your hands? This Lite version will have an even smaller screen and will make the images appear even sharper. 

You lose touch screen functionality when playing docked, which sucks for Super Mario Maker 2, World of Goo, and other games like that. 

Handheld mode also allows use of headphones/earbuds which is an optimal way to hear game audio. At least, in my experience. 

Not too many advantages to playing on a TV, IMO. 

18 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Why would you purposely tether yourself to your TV when playing games, when you could instead relax ANYWHERE and play your games on that super sweet screen right in your hands? This Lite version will have an even smaller screen and will make the images appear even sharper. 

You lose touch screen functionality when playing docked, which sucks for Super Mario Maker 2, World of Goo, and other games like that. 

Handheld mode also allows use of headphones/earbuds which is an optimal way to hear game audio. At least, in my experience. 

I love handhelds, but I also prefer a controller, it's easier on my hands. Also, I'm a fan of surround sound. 

People have their priorities. You gotta stop acting like you can't understand that. 

20 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

What about Xenoblade running like crap in HH mode? I would like to play that game.

28 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

lol smaller =/= sharper.

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

People have their priorities. You gotta stop acting like you can't understand that. 

53 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

lol

57 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

lol smaller =/= sharper.

I know. I said it will APPEAR sharper. It won’t actually be, but the smaller surface area of the screen will trick the human eye into thinking it is. 

57 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I think others should actually take this advice. And I get others have different priorities, I’m just stating my stance on the subject. Hence my “IMO” at the end of my post. 

54 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

What about Xenoblade running like crap in HH mode? I would like to play that game.

How bad is it? I haven’t started Xenoblade Chronicles 2 yet. Is it just sub-optimal, or like...legit terrible?

Actually, never mind why am I asking this forum? Most of y’all think that if a game isn’t running at like 50K with 3500 mega dura flop hertz (or whatever) and going 120 frames per second, the graphics are garbage, lol. 

1 minute ago, GameDadGrant said:

I think others should actually take this advice. 

Yeah, but you're just as bad about it as some of the worst offenders here. 

...okay, maybe not as bad as some of the worst. You're not as obnoxious, but still. :p You do it a lot. It's like you're trying to subtly troll.

2 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

How bad is it? I haven’t started Xenoblade Chronicles 2 yet. Is it just sub-optimal, or like...legit terrible?

Actually, never mind why am I asking this forum? Most of y’all think that if a game isn’t running at like 50K with 3500 mega dura flop hertz (or whatever) and going 120 frames per second, the graphics are garbage, lol. 

It's playable, but definitely not great. It comes off fuzzy a lot of the time and the resolution sucks. It's definitely a drawback compared to playing it in docked mode. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, but you're just as bad about it as some of the worst offenders here. 

...okay, maybe not as bad as some of the worst. You're not as obnoxious, but still. :p You do it a lot. It's like you're trying to subtly troll.

It's playable, but definitely not great. It comes off fuzzy a lot of the time and the resolution sucks. It's definitely a drawback compared to playing it in docked mode. 

Hmm. I am both disappointed and perturbed that THIS is how I am perceived on these boards. I can honestly tell you (and everyone) I never intend to troll. Because that behavior is obnoxious. I just like talking about video games. Not sure how I’m coming off as trolling? I’ll be more cognizant of my posting from here on out.

Thanks for the info on Xenoblade. I appreciate it.

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

From here, the games that don't support handheld mode are:

Labo

Mario Party

1-2 Switch

Just Dance

Fitness Boxing

So the actual list is Labo since every other game on that list works if you have separate joy-cons. Well, I guess the lack of a built in kickstand also makes it tricky, but the Switch's current kickstand is pretty awful so, eh.

6 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

So the actual list is Labo since every other game on that list works if you have separate joy-cons. Well, I guess the lack of a built in kickstand also makes it tricky, but the Switch's current kickstand is pretty awful so, eh.

That’s not handheld mode, though :p