Nintendo Switch Lite is a smaller, cheaper Switch built exclusively for handheld play ($199)

SaysWho?

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

Then there is no $500-only family to defend here.

No, but again I don’t get the latching on to that very specific price point. What’s likely is s pre-existing Switch and accessories purchased over time that will be compatible with the lite. 

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

No, but again I don’t get the latching on to that very specific price point. What’s likely is s pre-existing Switch and accessories purchased over time that will be compatible with the lite. 

Because that’s who Keyser said he was sticking up for. 

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Right? I've never seen people be so excruciatingly obtuse. There's more selling points to the Lite than just "it's $100 cheaper." I like a smaller form factor! But I like docking! There is now no Switch product that meets those absolutely reasonable needs, and somehow I'm the asshole for calling Nintendo out.

There is nothing wrong with wanting both, hopefully a future switch will meet your needs much like this switch does meet some people’s needs, like mine. It’s also a bit too early to say that maybe someone won’t find a way to make the lite dockable. It is after all still a usb-c port. 

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

No, it is a product for them, a two switch family. They get along together, love each other but someone got a switch that is portable but they can't dock for no reason.

You’re still going for a manufactured crisis. If parity matter that much then parents will just buy two normal switches. I don’t remember any parents up in arms when 1 kid got a 3ds and another a 2ds and in the future the poor kid with a 2ds can’t experience 3d. 

If docking is seen as a huge issue the parents will just replace the lite with a normal switch. It’s not like the old model is being discontinued.

5 minutes ago, chakoo said:

If docking is seen as a huge issue the parents will just replace the lite with a normal switch. It’s not like the old model is being discontinued.

Parents who’d want another set of controllers might as well opt for that anyways.  Since the Switch Lite can’t be used as such from what we know.

27 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Guess what. If you can’t afford a $300 Switch, then you also can’t afford a $200 Switch. 

I can’t remember who made that point I just remember it was dumb. 

Not for a kid who makes an allowance or does odd jobs for money? 

12 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Not for a kid who makes an allowance or does odd jobs for money? 

No. You’re 2/3 of the way there at that point. Just like life, you keep saving, sacrificing and working hard to get something better. A kid whose saving up for a system, if he has a steady source of income no matter the size, is just about time rather than affordability. 

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

No. You’re 2/3 of the way there at that point. Just like life, you keep saving, sacrificing and working hard to get something better. A kid whose saving up for a system, if he has a steady source of income no matter the size, is just about time rather than affordability. 

The whole point being made earlier was hey here's a nice price point for people to buy a cheaper machine - it has fewer features but that's OK because it allows another price point for people to jump in. But also $200 = $300.

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

You’re still going for a manufactured crisis. If parity matter that much then parents will just buy two normal switches. I don’t remember any parents up in arms when 1 kid got a 3ds and another a 2ds and in the future the poor kid with a 2ds can’t experience 3d.

Yeah but they are two different things hence the name. 3DS will allow you to see the 3D on your DS. The 2DS will not show the 3D.

So in order to not be up in arms the original will be called Switch and the switch that can't switch should be called... Stay?

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Guess what. If you can’t afford a $300 Switch, then you also can’t afford a $200 Switch. 

I can’t remember who made that point I just remember it was dumb. 

If you can't afford $10 then you can't afford $5

Speaking of dumb points... :silly:

34 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah but they are two different things hence the name. 3DS will allow you to see the 3D on your DS. The 2DS will not show the 3D.

So in order to not be up in arms the original will be called Switch and the switch that can't switch should be called... Stay?

You’re over simplifying what went on in the launch of the 2ds to justify your point.

There was a point people thought the Wii U was an add-on controller for the Wii. It didn’t cause utter chaos that wasn’t ultimately dealt with by a game store clerk explaining things to people.

Switch is nothing more then a brand name.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If you can't afford $10 then you can't afford $5

Speaking of dumb points... :silly:

It’s an accurate point when discussing luxury items which a video game system is.  A $100 difference is relatively small and does not constitute a true financial barrier. 

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

The whole point being made earlier was hey here's a nice price point for people to buy a cheaper machine - it has fewer features but that's OK because it allows another price point for people to jump in. But also $200 = $300.

And it was a dumb point. That point is predicated on the Switch Lite being a true alternative to the Switch. It isn’t really. It’s a different machine with a different purpose for a different audience. The only reason this insanely thick headed argument is being made is because of the name. If they had named it something different then no one would have a problem. But because people can’t wrap their heads around the fact that the Switch is just a brand name and doesn’t mean had to actually “switch” then everyone’s nerd rage has been triggered. 

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Those saying buy two, it's like you're saying, "This is the way it is, and the way it should be and there's nothing we can do about it except pay $100"

Perfectly fine for a millionaire movie theater owner, not so much for a regular person.

You don't need to be a millionaire to buy a regular switch. 

<----- Not a millionaire. Has two regular Switches (one is my sons). 

12 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Til people think $100 is a lot money 

It is for many people, none of whom are wringing their hands over buying a second copy of the same video game system for their household though 😂

We decided that this name would be the best fit for our product for two reasons. It represents one of the defining features of the Switch, the ability to seamlessly ‘switch’ between the TV screen and Switch’s screen, while also embodying the idea of being a ‘switch’ that will flip, and change the way people experience entertainment in their daily lives.

We wanted to show people just how much of an enjoyable difference it will make in their entertainment experiences, by having them see and hear for themselves what it can do in an easy-to-digest manner. It allows people to enjoy a home console experience not only in front of a TV, but in rooms with no TV, or outside altogether. And because the controllers are detachable from the main body of the console, each of its forms offer different play experiences for people to enjoy.

So much for its defining feature

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It is for many people, none of whom are wringing their hands over buying a second copy of the same video game system for their household though 😂

Except that for some families it absolutely is that scenario, where the $100 matters and we can have the discussion on if that’s the case than should they be buying video game systems in the first place, but, different discussion. 

Oh and kids trying to save money for a console. 

You cant have it both ways. It can’t be a nice entry point that allows Nintendo to have greater success with its handhelds (something you said in this very thread) AND also argue that the money doesn’t matter. 

11 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Except that for some families it absolutely is that scenario, where the $100 matters and we can have the discussion on if that’s the case than should they be buying video game systems in the first place, but, different discussion. 

Oh and kids trying to save money for a console. 

You cant have it both ways. It can’t be a nice entry point that allows Nintendo to have greater success with its handhelds (something you said in this very thread) AND also argue that the money doesn’t matter. 

That isn’t the argument.

First argument: There are people who want smaller and/or cheaper options for the device and this device opens up customers who want those things and wouldn’t buy the current iteration based on price and/or features.

Second argument: The people who are deciding between the second model of a video game system for their home aren’t in a situation where $100 is a lot of money. These are people with meaningful amounts of disposable income, unless they are living way beyond their means and putting things on credit cards they can’t afford.

These two arguments have no conflict.

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That isn’t the argument.

First argument: There are people who want smaller and/or cheaper options for the device and this device opens up customers who want those things and wouldn’t buy the current iteration based on price and/or features.

Second argument: The people who are deciding between the second model of a video game system for their home aren’t in a situation where $100 is a lot of money. These are people with meaningful amounts of disposable income, unless they are living way beyond their means and putting things on credit cards they can’t afford.

These two arguments have no conflict.

The first argument certainly has a conflict. You guys are saying the jump from $200 to  $300 is negligible but at the same time stating that there are people out there who are not going to buy it because of its price. 

I think I’m done in this thread though, I wasted way too much of my and everyone’s time.

part of it too is I can’t really tell who is arguing what at this point. 

One last thing @sblfilms I honestly think you’re totally correct in the crux of this entire diatribe that has occurred is that people are upset that this device isn’t for them. Absolutely! I wanted to get this but I won’t now since I can’t dock it. And that’s ok but I’m still disappointed and I think that’s ok too.