Nintendo Switch Lite is a smaller, cheaper Switch built exclusively for handheld play ($199)

SaysWho?

52 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The lite is probably the cheapest Fortnite box you can get. This makes it a tremendous value for parents of tweens. It will se bucketloads. 

Oh gawd that freakin’ game. My son has that on nearly every modern device in my house that plays games. Switch, iPhone, iPad, Playstation 4...pretty sure if the microwave could play Fortnite he’d download it there, too. :tired:

30 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Paperclyp is saying.

Kid A has a switch

Kid B has a switch light

There is one dock.

Kid A takes the dockable switch with him.

Kid B is at home with the Switch light, but wants to play it docked.

Kid B can't play on the TV.

Moving the dock does nothing for Kid B.

If only they had a model that could be played either docked or undocked.

If only.

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Paperclyp is saying.

Kid A has a switch

Kid B has a switch light

There is one dock.

Kid A takes the dockable switch with him.

Kid B is at home with the Switch light, but wants to play it docked.

Kid B can't play on the TV.

Moving the dock does nothing for Kid B.

Kid A shouldn’t take the dockable Switch.  Both Switches can download the same games, continue from the same saves, etc.  Problem solved.

Alternatively, Kid B can get over slumming it playing their own personal portable console in their lap.  Or their impatient ass can wait until Kid A comes home.

Then Kids A and B can commiserate in their depraved portable-screen hellscape while Mom watches daytime TV on the big screen.

2 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

Oh gawd that freakin’ game. My son has that on nearly every modern device in my house that plays games. Switch, iPhone, iPad, Playstation 4...pretty sure if the microwave could play Fortnite he’d download it there, too. :tired:

Does it beat for how many times Skyrim has been ported over/released? :p

Here's a scenario since apparently this is mind-bendingly complex for some of you:

Kid gets a Switch Lite because it's cheaper.

Kid makes some new friends.

Kid wants to play Mario Kart with his friends on a screen suitable for multiple people.

Kid is told to go fuck himself because the market decided that the exclusion of the ability to dock was a desirable --nay, mandatory!-- choice and totally made sense.

Or how about this wild scenario:

Dude gets a Switch but finds it's bad at actually being portable.

Dude sees new Switch that's much better at being portable, and will happily sell his old Switch for this new one (hope no one arguing this point likes physical games "because you can sell them") but has bizarrely destroyed the features its very name and marketing are based upon.

• Guillotine 2

6 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Kid A shouldn’t take the dockable Switch.  Both Switches can download the same games, continue from the same saves, etc.  Problem solved.

Alternatively, Kid B can get over slumming it playing their own personal portable console in their lap.  Or their impatient ass can wait until Kid A comes home.

Then Kids A and B can commiserate in their depraved portable-screen hellscape while Mom watches daytime TV on the big screen.

Kid A is more responsible. It’s his switch. He bought it, he doesn’t want his younger sister fucking with his saves, getting scratches on the screen, and frankly it’s just fucking his, he bought it. 

There are many scenarios where it would make sense to have one dock and two switches in the same home. Yes you can get around it with how it will be, but it’s not as good, and that’s the point. 

15 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

There are many scenarios where it would make sense to have one dock and two switches in the same home. Yes you can get around it with how it will be, but it’s not as good, and that’s the point. 

The solution is simple: Kid B should buy the device that has the features they want, like dockable play, instead of whining after they bought the cheaper model with less features

Keyzer is a dummy, so I get his difficulty understanding such a basic concept, but I don’t get why normal people are struggling.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The solution is simple: Kid B should buy the device that has the features they want, like dockable play, instead of whining after they bought the cheaper model with less features

Keyzer is a dummy, so I get his difficulty understanding such a basic concept, but I don’t get why normal people are struggling.

That solution fails in a number of scenarios as well, though. You guys are belaboring it just for the sake of it. 

We’re not struggling to understand that yes you could buy a switch that is dockable. This conversation started with the premise of well why would a household even want two switches and a single dock, and when multiple scenarios were given where that would make sense, I can’t tell if it’s willful obtuseness or frank misunderstanding or just arguing for the sake of arguing, but those scenarios were just tossed aside because there are less convenient ways around it. 

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If you want a dockable Switch, buy the $300 Switch.

If you want an undockable Switch, buy the $200 Switch.

Why is this complicated?

Family / kid can’t afford a $300 Switch.

Family only has one TV and doesn’t need or want a second dock. 

Kid wants a smaller switch to play on the bus. 

Parents prefer kid to have the switch with non-detachable joycons because he’s always putting the other one on backwards. 

Parents have 4 kids and want to buy all of them switches and don’t need 4 docks. 

Why is this so complicated. 

6 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Family / kid can’t afford a $300 Switch.

Family only has one TV and doesn’t need or want a second dock. 

Kid wants a smaller switch to play on the bus. 

Parents prefer kid to have the switch with non-detachable joycons because he’s always putting the other one on backwards. 

Parents have 4 kids and want to buy all of them switches and don’t need 4 docks. 

Why is this so complicated. 

If they want a dockale Switch, it is $300.  If they are fine with not having the dockability - they can save $100 and get the $200 Switch.

You're arguing that they should sell a new separate product, that wouldn't be $200.

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Why is this complicated?

It isn't. They are grasping for something to

be outraged about because somebody has to be outraged about everything :p

Jfc, the scenario you guys are trying to bend. Do any of you even have kids? 

If docking their switch is so important at  a later date they’ll just sell/trade their switch to buy a dockable one. It’s not the *king end of the world. 

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

Kid A is more responsible. It’s his switch. He bought it, he doesn’t want his younger sister fucking with his saves, getting scratches on the screen, and frankly it’s just fucking his, he bought it. 

With all the reports to the dock itself scratching up the Switch if you aren’t careful, the younger sister probably shouldn’t be attempting to dock/undock anything.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If they want a dockale Switch, it is $300.  If they are fine with not having the dockability - they can save $100 and get the $200 Switch.

You're arguing that they should sell a new separate product, that wouldn't be $200.

I’m not arguing that at all, I’m responding to crispy who pondered why someone would want two switches and one dock in the house. 

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It isn't. They are grasping for something to

be outraged about because somebody has to be outraged about everything :p

I wanna give you the benefit of the doubt, but it honestly seems like you don’t want to have a conversation and you just want me to be wrong. Every post you make seems to have this underlying premise in that anyone who criticizes this is outraged for the sake of outrage. I’m not outraged. I agree that the internet lends itself to great overreaction and hyperbole and there are people out there who honestly don’t care but they are pretending to be pissed for the theater of it, and that is annoying. 

Im telling you that that is not my mood or intention. But I can still be disappointed in this product, and I am responding to you respectfully and when it hits a point where you don’t want to respond to what I am saying, you keep coming back to this point here or acting like we are crazy for suggesting these not very crazy things instead of hearing me out or even just saying, I get what you’re saying that’s cool and moving on. 

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I’m not arguing that at all, I’m responding to crispy who pondered why someone would want two switches and one dock in the house. 

I wanna give you the benefit of the doubt, but it honestly seems like you don’t want to have a conversation and you just want me to be wrong. Every post you make seems to have this underlying premise in that anyone who criticizes this is outraged for the sake of outrage. I’m not outraged. I agree that the internet lends itself to great overreaction and hyperbole and there are people out there who honestly don’t care but they are pretending to be pissed for the theater of it, and that is annoying. 

Im telling you that that is not my mood or intention. But I can still be disappointed in this product, and I am responding to you respectfully and when it hits a point where you don’t want to respond to what I am saying, you keep coming back to this point here or acting like we are crazy for suggesting these not very crazy things instead of hearing me out or even just saying, I get what you’re saying that’s cool and moving on. 

Being disappointed with a product is fine. I don’t think that is what the discussion has centered around to this point, but I accept that you’re simply disappointed with it.

33 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Why is this complicated?

I want a SMALL Switch that I can DOCK.

Jesus tittyfucking Christ.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm not outraged. I'm just defending the poor people who can afford only $500 not $600. I'm defending the right to not enjoy rendering the purpose of the machine unnecessary and calling it a Switch when you can't switch

oh snap GIF by Girl Starter

being FALSE ADVERTISING!

There is no $500 formula where the Switch Lite is hypothetically docked, being played, and the main Switch is still usable.

Controllers.

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Let me play devils advocate tho, then buy a dockable Switch wait oh shit 

Right? I've never seen people be so excruciatingly obtuse. There's more selling points to the Lite than just "it's $100 cheaper." I like a smaller form factor! But I like docking! There is now no Switch product that meets those absolutely reasonable needs, and somehow I'm the asshole for calling Nintendo out.

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That's what this conversation has been about for like 5 pages.

You missed the point entirely.

What controllers would a dockable Switch Lite use?  If the family owns two Switches and can only afford $500, the controllers would have to come from the other machine.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

What controllers would a dockable Switch Lite use?  If the family owns two Switches and can only afford $500, the controllers would have to come from the other machine.

Xbob already covered it in the, "It's no longer a switch," speach.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

They’ve had a switch for two years and they have been able to afford a controller or two over those years. Don’t get hung up on the $500 thing. 

Just now, sblfilms said:

Which it all comes back to “They made a product that’s not for me and thus it sucks :cry:“.

No, it is a product for them, a two switch family. They get along together, love each other but someone got a switch that is portable but they can't dock for no reason.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Xbob already covered it in the, "It's no longer a switch," speach.

I’m aware of what he’s said, wanting it to still be an option for it to be docked.  I’ve said that too, and agree with him.

I just think the controller problem is being underplayed.