Nintendo Switch Lite is a smaller, cheaper Switch built exclusively for handheld play ($199)

SaysWho?

Seeing as how my main issues with the switch have been joy con connectors repeatedly breaking and the USB-C port not connecting to the TV, it seems that they removed all my pain points...

But my kids play on the TV all the time and I don't want to give Nintendo another penny of my money ever again because I don't feel like they've given me a satisfactory customer experience (AT ALL) so they can get the fuck outa here with this thing...

1 hour ago, Emblazon said:

You couldn't pay me to take one of those. Maybe at the $100 price point. But for only $50 less, and you lose so much functionality? If someone wants to throw away $200, I'll happily take it off your hands (the money, not the whateverthisis Lite). 

Also doesn't look like there's a kickstand built in. 

And fuck playing a majority of Switch games with the joy cons. If I had to play BotW in its entirety using the joy cons, I never would have completed the game. 

Sadly, because it's Nintendo, people will eat these up, even though it's a significantly gimped version that is way overpriced. 

I am not a Nintendo fan at all. Cant stand half the exclusive games that nintendo fanboys eat up.  I currently do not own a switch. I did own a wiiu only for my kids, but I happened to play BOTW on it and I did on the controller, never hooked to my TV. 

This switch portable at $100 less (and hopefully even cheaper around black friday) appeals to me.  At that price range and being portable seems like its right in my wheelhouse to pick up and play the few exclusives I am interested in. 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

If they do a pack-in with a game I want I may bite on this and give the lite to my fiancé so we can play pokemon together, but I was hoping for an “xl” announcement, upgrading, and then letting her use my OG.

I would love a link awakening pack in since thats the first game I would get. Id 100% buy it if that was the case. 

Honestly the main turn-off for me would be if those buttons/analogs are the same as the ones on the joycons. Fortunately they put a true d-pad on it, so that would relieve a few of my frustrations, but I still think the analogs feel kinda wonky. I've never really been able to get used to them.

I am both surprised and not surprised at the same time, reading different reactions to this announcement here. It’s amusing.

In any case, this is a Day One Purchase for me. I never use the Switch docked (why in the world would anyone dock it, ever?!) and the lower price point make this an easy decision. Making it smaller (and thus more portable) is just the cherry on top. This is 100% up my alley. Can’t wait to get it.

Probably gonna get the Pokémon version. Those colors are BOSS.

Nintendo Switch Lite can play the games in the Nintendo Switch library that support handheld mode.

For games that do not support handheld mode, players can wirelessly connect compatible controllers (sold separately) to Nintendo Switch Lite. If using separate Joy-Con controllers, users will need to have a device to recharge them, such as the Joy-Con Charging Grip.

To find play mode compatibility information for specific games, please refer to the product packaging or Nintendo eShop.

Just look for the “handheld mode” icon

any idea what games dont support handheld mode? i would imagine most of them do. 

35 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

“No it’s not, idiot” @Emblazon right now

:p

You somehow seriously lack reading comprehension. I said it was a bad product, which it is. I also said there will be appeal for it and it will fly off the shelves. 

Not once did I say, "it's not for me, therefore it sucks". 

3 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

You somehow seriously lack reading comprehension. I said it was a bad product, which it is. I also said there will be appeal for it and it will fly off the shelves. 

Not once did I say, "it's not for me, therefore it sucks". 

OK, let's isolate this part then:

"I said it was a bad product, which it is."

You're already wrong.

16 minutes ago, atom631 said:

any idea what games dont support handheld mode? i would imagine most of them do. 

I don't think there are any games that don't support handheld mode. There are games that don't support docked mode, but not the other way around. The handheld only games are mostly just games that need the touchscreen.

How does the account sharing work?

Right now, all my Switch games are digital only. When my wife plays, she plays under her own account, but can of course still play the games I've bought under mine and downloaded. So my question is, if I got a lite for my wife, would it be possible for her to play on the lite under her account with games I bought under my acount? And could we both play games on the systems simultaneously?

They should have made this thing dockable. The annoying thing is that I think it's a pretty safe bet that they removed that feature not because it was too costly, but rather to build in some differentiation from the traditional Switch.

How do digital downloads work if you own more than one Switch? Can you download your games on both systems? (probably not) Delete on one and download on another?

EDIT: I looked it up. You can download on all your consoles, but you can only be playing it on one at a time. That's surprising consumer friendly from a company like Nintendo.

44 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I don't think there are any games that don't support handheld mode. There are games that don't support docked mode, but not the other way around. The handheld only games are mostly just games that need the touchscreen.

1 2 Switch and probably Just Dance along with other games that rely on HD Rumble and/or motion controls do not support handheld mode.

I don’t dock my Switch, but the smaller screen puts me off this a little.  I was hoping they could reduce the size a bit without shrinking the screen.

I need to know the thumbsticks are better as well, and don’t suffer from drift, as the joycons can’t be detached.

I think this is going to be under a lot of Christmas trees this year, and it looks kid-friendly.  I don’t see any reason to trade my current Switch for one though.  Maybe if my Switch breaks this would be what I would buy as a replacement as it is cheap, but even then I am not sure.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

1 2 Switch and probably Just Dance along with other games that rely on HD Rumble and/or motion controls do not support handheld mode.

They both support handheld mode, you just need detached joy-cons. That use case was covered in the unveiling video. I'd really love to know which games require the console be docked.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

They both support handheld mode, you just need detached joy-cons. That use case was covered in the unveiling video. I'd really love to know which games require the console be docked.

None require a console to be docked. They don’t support handheld mode, they support undocked/tablet play, which is different. Handheld mode is with the attached joycons, tablet mode is with the joycons detached and using the Switch just as a screen (the boxes for games differentiate the three modes). So, for games like 1 2 Switch, handheld mode is not available, tablet mode is and you’d need to purchase joycons to play.

29 minutes ago, ort said:

They should have made this thing dockable. The annoying thing is that I think it's a pretty safe bet that they removed that feature not because it was too costly, but rather to build in some differentiation from the traditional Switch.

How do digital downloads work if you own more than one Switch? Can you download your games on both systems? (probably not) Delete on one and download on another?

EDIT: I looked it up. You can download on all your consoles, but you can only be playing it on one at a time. That's surprising consumer friendly from a company like Nintendo.

Playing on one console at a time irrespective of which game is played, or only the same game cannot be played simultaneously? I'm guessing the former, but thought I'd check.

2 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

I am both surprised and not surprised at the same time, reading different reactions to this announcement here. It’s amusing.

In any case, this is a Day One Purchase for me. I never use the Switch docked (why in the world would anyone dock it, ever?!) and the lower price point make this an easy decision. Making it smaller (and thus more portable) is just the cherry on top. This is 100% up my alley. Can’t wait to get it.

Probably gonna get the Pokémon version. Those colors are BOSS.

Umm, to play a better looking game on a better looking medium, with a far better pro controller.

• Haha 1