Nintendo Switch Lite is a smaller, cheaper Switch built exclusively for handheld play ($199)

SaysWho?

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It means they made good choices based on the demands of the market. Your preferences are just that, your preferences. If there is one thing Nintendo has more often than not figured out, it is what a large percentage of the gamer public wants in regards to handheld gaming. They hit waaaaay more than they miss in that segment, and their hits are grand slams.

Xbob keeps saying: I don't like apples

and you guys keep responding: Well apples sell well so you are wrong. 

But to respond to what you guys are saying, yes they make money but that doesn't mean they're making great decisions either. Nintendo is the most successful clueless company in tech. 

Does anyone here have ANY confidence that Nintendo will have a convenient way to act as a complimentary device to an existing switch? Dear lord, they are bad at that shit. They couldn't even guarantee you'd keep your data when the existing Switches broke and you had to send them in for repair. 

Yeah the thing will sell well, but it's real shitty they are taking out a major selling point - no - THE major selling point of the thing in the first place. 

If Nintendo pulled this shit and they didn't have the rep of oooooohhhh boy, thaaaaaat's just Nintendo!, then nobody would stand for it. They get away with the dumbest shit. Hey remember that fucking app for your phone to chat with your friends when playing games on your fucking console? 

Jesus Nintendo sucks ass. 

(Can't wait for all their games tho)

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Xbob keeps saying: I don't like apples

and you guys keep responding: Well apples sell well so you are wrong. 

Incorrect. I am saying his preferences are not the only preferences and there exists many customers whose preferences align with the original Switch, many that will align with the Switch Lite, and still others that will align with the Switch pro.

Diversification of models and price points is one of the reasons Nintendo has been so good in the handheld market. They make something for many different preference sets.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Incorrect. I am saying his preferences are not the only preferences and there exists many customers whose preferences align with the original Switch, many that will align with the Switch Lite, and still others that will align with the Switch pro.

Diversification of models and price points is one of the reasons Nintendo has been so good in the handheld market. They make something for many different preference sets.

He's aware other preferences exist, I'm sure. 

The assumption is being made that they could ONLY price this thing at $199 if it wasn't dockable to a TV, and unless someone can confirm that that's a significant price hike if they allowed for that, I do not buy it. I'm sure most people would prefer the thing to be dockable. 

He's aware other preferences exist, I'm sure. 

The assumption is being made that they could ONLY price this thing at $199 if it wasn't dockable to a TV, and unless someone can confirm that that's a significant price hike if they allowed for that, I do not buy it. I'm sure most people would prefer the thing to be dockable. 

I’m not making an assumption as to what they need to do for a particular price point. Price points aren’t a simple equation where X input gives Y output.

This model is for people who never want to dock the thing, like two of my three kids who have had Switches since last year and haven’t once put them on the dock. They only play handheld, so what does the extra $100 a piece get me for them?

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not making an assumption as to what they need to do for a particular price point. Price points aren’t a simple equation where X input gives Y output.

This model is for people who never want to dock the thing, like two of my three kids who have had Switches since last year and haven’t once put them on the dock. They only play handheld, so what does the extra $100 a piece get me for them?

If the lite version allowed for docking it literally does not affect them at all then. It does affect people who prefer it to be docked. 

If the lite version allowed for docking it literally does not affect them at all then. It does affect people who prefer it to be docked. 

Look who is making assumptions.

7 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I honestly don't know what you're talking about lol. 

You are assuming that there is no cost to the handheld experience (not just in terms of $$) with regards to the design/engineering of this smaller handheld only version. We don’t know what keeping the dock option would do to the design of the device, it’s cooling, power draw, battery size, etc. 

Going back to my very first post in this thread, this al comes down to the typically whining when a company dares to make a product I don’t want. Me personally, I’d rather have a stationary switch with no portability and as such this mode is way off of what I’d like, 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

You are assuming that there is no cost to the handheld experience (not just in terms of $$) with regards to the design/engineering of this smaller handheld only version. We don’t know what keeping the dock option would do to the design of the device, it’s cooling, power draw, battery size, etc. 

I'm not assuming there is no cost. I said I'm not convinced there's a significant hike to allow for it. They don't have to include a dock with it, even - let us use our existing docks. I'm happy to see what the projected cost might be to keep that tech intact. It literally has the same output dongle that goes into the dock. 

Like, yeah, preferences are great and honestly this thing isn't for me and that's fine. But I don't think Nintendo has done ANYTHING to deserve the benefit of the doubt here, and just because they are successful doesn't mean they are immune to criticism. 

1 minute ago, Paperclyp said:

I'm not assuming there is no cost. I said I'm not convinced there's a significant hike to allow for it. They don't have to include a dock with it, even - let us use our existing docks. I'm happy to see what the projected cost might be to keep that tech intact. It literally has the same output dongle that goes into the dock. 

Like, yeah, preferences are great and honestly this thing isn't for me and that's fine. But I don't think Nintendo has done ANYTHING to deserve the benefit of the doubt here, and just because they are successful doesn't mean they are immune to criticism. 

You’re fixated on price. Price is not the only potential cost here. Your assuming they could make the same device with the option to run it in docked mode based on your gut instinct. Neither of us know that, but we do know the Switch runs in a lower power mode in handheld than docked and as such the hardware requirements do change to achieve the higher demands of docked play.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You’re fixated on price. Price is not the only potential cost here. Your assuming they could make the same device with the option to run it in docked mode based on your gut instinct. Neither of us know that, but we do know the Switch runs in a lower power mode in handheld than docked and as such the hardware requirements do change to achieve the higher demands of docked play.

I said cost, not price, in the post you just quoted. You're the one that brought it back around to that, and unfortunately with what we're talking about you can't have the discussion without speculating about the cost. I'm happy to just leave it at that and say since we don't know, we're kind of at a standstill, but just like I can't say they absolutely can sell the thing for $199 and have it dockable, you can't say they can't. So maybe that's just where we are.

I didn't say they could do it, I said I'm not convinced they can't. There is a difference. I am genuinely open to input on if the dock tech actually does significantly increase the cost. 

But as I said in my original post and keep re-iterating, Nintendo does not deserve the benefit of the doubt here. They are frequently anti-consumer and they get away with it too often. 

Another thing I don't understand is the endless desire to defend blatantly dumb decisions by companies like Nintendo. What do you get out of it? What's the end game? I want this fucking thing to be dockable, and no amount of justification or retroactive explanation of the device's purpose is going to make me okay with the fact that it doesn't. In voicing my complaints, I hope that others who have the same point of view may also express those concerns and that Nintendo eventually hears that it's a desirable feature that people want and that they can engineer a future solution to meet my needs. It won't fix this one, but maybe it'll play some tiny part in helping fix the next one, and with Nintendo, there's ALWAYS a next one.

I get it, some of you are perfectly fine with this. That's great! Neither of us benefit from you explaining to me that, yes, Nintendo DOES in fact make money, therefore cannot be wrong and couldn't have made superior decisions to potentially make even more money. I'm sure excluding the docking feature has sold so many extra Switch Lites... right? Oh, wait, missing features aren't selling points?

And don't tell me none of you boys would want a clamshell version you could feel a lot better about putting in your pocket. Clamshells are where it's at for devices like this. I never felt safe putting a Vita in my pocket.

It’s one thing to be disappointed that a product doesn’t fit your wants or needs, as I said before I don’t want handhelds and the Switch is a less powerful system because of the portability angle.

What I’m challenging is the notion that Nintendo is making a bad decision because they didn’t make a device you or I wanted. Making a variety of models and price points to meet the wants and needs of a larger number of customers is good for the business and consumers. 

Stating what feature set set you would like to see in future revisions is also fine, and if enough people want such a device Nintendo probably will make it.

2 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

So does the lack of an included controller to actually use it in docked mode.  I’m assuming that’s why they made this call.

A dockable Switch Lite, hypothetically, would cost $270+ if you wanted to buy the needed controller(s) to use it as such.  Make it $290 if the Joycon Grip is included.  Add few more dollars for the hdmi cable and battery life improvements.

I think they still should have put in the feature. But in terms of cost, the standard Switch is still fairly priced in relativity.  I would just say to wait for the ‘New’ model if battery life is a concern.

6 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

So does the lack of an included controller to actually use it in docked mode.  I’m assuming that’s why they made this call.

A dockable Switch Lite, hypothetically, would cost $270+ if you wanted to buy the needed controller(s) to use it as such.  Make it $290 if the Joycon Grip is included.  Add few more dollars for the hdmi cable and battery life improvements.

I think they still should have put in the feature. But in terms of cost, the standard Switch is still fairly priced in relativity.

I think just making it dockable and not including that stuff is a logical solution though. Many people will already have the accessories, and for those who don’t want it they have a cheaper option. 

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What I’m challenging is the notion that Nintendo is making a bad decision because they didn’t make a device you or I wanted. Making a variety of models and price points to meet the wants and needs of a larger number of customers is good for the business and consumers.

I think it's a bad decision because it removes a key feature for seemingly no benefit. Where is the upside? Attached joy-cons I can see an upside, even if it goes against the nature of the console. Being undockable? That's just losing features for no discernible reason. Unless this fucking thing is absolutely jam-packed to every millimeter (which it likely won't be, considering my phone is dramatically smaller and more powerful) of case, I can't see it being a cost issue in terms of either price or real estate.

To me, it's the same as the online multiplayer in Mario Maker 2 being shitty garbage (not being able to play with friends, the lag, not being able to just have a list of friend's stages, using long ass codes, etc) because they refuse to grow with the times. They just do shit seemingly at random and I refuse to ever give them the benefit of the doubt, because they have yet to earn that.

They do well because they have good ideas that appeal to lots of people, trying to make the foundational stuff they're behind on better is not antithetical to what makes them popular and successful.

16 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I think just making it dockable and not including that stuff is a logical solution though. Many people will already have the accessories, and for those who don’t want it they have a cheaper option. 

Those who have Switch accessories already have a dockable Switch.  At least as of now.

3 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Does anyone here have ANY confidence that Nintendo will have a convenient way to act as a complimentary device to an existing switch?

Actually, yes. With the Nintendo Switch Online service, your cloud games/saves can be accessed on a different Switch just by logging into your account. You can do that with any Switch, now. 

More info on Nintendo's official website on the topic. CLICK!  :) 

14 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Parents can set it up so that kids can play the same games on all Switches in their family.  A docked one, or otherwise.

Part of the subscription fee.

Yeah ok but I don’t really understand what this has to do with what we were talking about lol. 

The question was why would someone want another dockable Switch in the same house. I just think it makes sense that there is one existing original switch and the family could purchase another one at the cheaper price for their kid. The kid can use the dock if the OG Switch is like out with dad or something or if mom is playing it upstairs undocked, and vice versa. 

And the accessories are all compatible so the purchase of the lite itself saves you money, plus not including that stuff is good for the people who have no interest in docking. 

I feel like I’m not making sense to people today so I apologize if I’m not making any sense. 

Edit: another case, kid wants a switch, the lite is a nice affordable price point for him or the family, later on decides he or she would like to purchase a dock. It’s nice to have the option. 

20 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Actually, yes. With the Nintendo Switch Online service, your cloud games/saves can be accessed on a different Switch just by logging into your account. You can do that with any Switch, now. 

More info on Nintendo's official website on the topic. CLICK!  :) 

Those features are worded kind of confusingly, and it’s clear that it’s not universal. Some switch games store certain data only locally, like certain aspects of splatoon. And there are stories about Doug Bowser discussing that they are planning to have data transfer when the lite eventually releases, which suggests issues with the current system. 

I hope they make it work. They really need to make it work. 

38 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Yeah ok but I don’t really understand what this has to do with what we were talking about lol. 

The question was why would someone want another dockable Switch in the same house. I just think it makes sense that there is one existing original switch and the family could purchase another one at the cheaper price for their kid. The kid can use the dock if the OG Switch is like out with dad or something or if mom is playing it upstairs undocked, and vice versa. 

And the accessories are all compatible so the purchase of the lite itself saves you money, plus not including that stuff is good for the people who have no interest in docking. 

I feel like I’m not making sense to people today so I apologize if I’m not making any sense. 

Edit: another case, kid wants a switch, the lite is a nice affordable price point for him or the family, later on decides he or she would like to purchase a dock. It’s nice to have the option. 

I wouldn’t argue with you that the option is nice in the second case.  But I think you are overselling the value of having two dockable Switches in one house.

Nintendo’s pricing for a second stand alone dock is terrible.  But it would accomplish the same thing in your first scenario.

Moreover, the Switch dock is portable as is.  Why not just move it?  First world problems I suppose...

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I wouldn’t argue with you that the option is nice in the second case.  But I think you are overselling the value of having two dockable Switches in one house.

Nintendo’s pricing for a second stand alone dock is terrible.  But it would accomplish the same thing in your first scenario.

Moreover, the Switch dock is portable as is.  Why not just move it?  First world problems I suppose...

I’m not trying to oversell it. The option is just good to have, and like others are saying it was literally the entire premise of the machine in the first place. And it’s a way cooler and more useful premise than like the 3D in the 3DS that was scrapped for the 2DS. 

It is fucking cool that you can dock your switch and then take it with you. I love it. 

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It means they made good choices based on the demands of the market. Your preferences are just that, your preferences. If there is one thing Nintendo has more often than not figured out, it is what a large percentage of the gamer public wants in regards to handheld gaming. They hit waaaaay more than they miss in that segment, and their hits are grand slams.

When they made it so you couldn't play Mario Maker 2 with your friends that was a good choice, the market demanded it.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Paperclyp is saying.

Kid A has a switch

Kid B has a switch light

There is one dock.

Kid A takes the dockable switch with him.

Kid B is at home with the Switch light, but wants to play it docked.

Kid B can't play on the TV.

Moving the dock does nothing for Kid B.

• Like 1