The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

44 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Those who grew up on Tumblr, before they got kicked off and went to twitter, are the real psychos

True. I just mean like millennials are the last generation to have had some modicum of privacy growing up. I'm sure I said some terrible shit in like 2004. It just so happens none of it was preserved on Twitter forever.

Maybe twitter should just automatically delete tweets that are more than like 5 years old. That might be the best for everyone.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

True. I just mean like millennials are the last generation to have had some modicum of privacy growing up. I'm sure I said some terrible shit in like 2004. It just so happens none of it was preserved on Twitter forever.

Maybe twitter should just automatically delete tweets that are more than like 5 years old. That might be the best for everyone.

Dunking on people for bad old tweets is how a lot of people have made large followings. Will be hard to shut down that grift.

14 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

But then I would have to go to Ohio. 

I mean I’m from the NYC area which means I have zero ties to Cleveland (my legal name is Jose my dad and brother are named Manny. You’ll never guess our last names or why I am a Cleveland baseball fan lol). Yet when my wife and I went to Cleveland a couple years back we were surprised how nice the city was tbh. Gets a lot of unfair flack imo.

54 minutes ago, Joe said:

I mean I’m from the NYC area which means I have zero ties to Cleveland (my legal name is Jose my dad and brother are named Manny. You’ll never guess our last names or why I am a Cleveland baseball fan lol). Yet when my wife and I went to Cleveland a couple years back we were surprised how nice the city was tbh. Gets a lot of unfair flack imo.

It's those hastily-made tourism videos, I say!

54 minutes ago, Joe said:

Only Midwest city I have been too that I was super unimpressed by is St. Louis. Most of the big cities have things worth seeing on a visit

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I can't tell if this whole thing was a joke or if you were being serious :thinking:

In - Di - Ans

Guard - I - Ans

3 each

INDIANS                    4

GUARDIANS            5

Consonants are not syllables 

6 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

INDIANS                    4

GUARDIANS            5

Consonants are not syllables 

We don’t keep @Keyser_Soze around for his brains, just his beauty

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The word consonant may be used ambiguously for both speech sounds and the letters of the alphabet used to write them. In English, these letters are B, C, D, F, G, J, K, L, M, N, P, Q, S, T, V, X, Z and often H, R, W, Y

@sblfilms was right

All beauty no brains <3

• 3 weeks later...
5ed0c148e8881e8d0013abc435cb33f0.png
WWW.THEROOT.COM

Sentencing disparity prompts calls for reform after Black woman sentenced for embezzling $40,000 while a white woman got probation after stealing $250,000.

"Neither judge could comment on their sentences but Cleveland activists immediately decried the disparity in the two sentences. The white woman committed more crimes, over a longer period of time. She stole more money than the Black woman. She had 21 more charges and cost taxpayers six times more money. She was facing 60 years in prison while the Black woman’s maximum sentence was three years. Yet the Black woman received more prison time than prosecutors wanted her to spend in jail."

• Guillotine 3

5200.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Guardian analysis finds that private schools, especially Christian schools, use textbooks that tell of a version of history that is racially biased and inaccurate

Under radical reconstruction, the south suffered. Great southern leaders and much of the old aristocracy were unable to vote or hold office. The result was that state legislatures were filled with illiterate or incompetent men. Northerners who were eager to make money or gain power during the crisis rushed to the south … For all these reasons, reconstruction led to graft and corruption and reckless spending. In retaliation, many southerners formed secret organizations to protect themselves and their society from anarchy. Among these groups was the Ku Klux Klan, a clandestine group of white men who went forth at night dressed in white sheets and pointed white hoods.” 

R3VKf0O.jpg

• Guillotine 3

It's amazing how many people you'll find that use 'they weren't kidnapped by white people, they were sold by other black people to white slavers" as somehow a justification. Someone, maybe with a family, was bound in chains and shipped halfway around the world to perform labor against their will for the rest of their lives, and their children's lives, and so forth. The circumstances of that event kind of don't matter, and it doesn't make slavers any better that they weren't physically kidnapping people themselves.

You'll often also see people say that there were black slave owners, too! Or that white people were indentured servants, which is just like slavery!

1) yes, there were a few black slave owners in Virginia, and maybe Maryland if I remember right. That lasted all of 30 years before Bacon's Rebellion, when white and black alike rose up against the planter class in Virginia. After that rebellion was put down, they encoded into law that black people were not citizens. No more black slave owners. There was also a mixed creole planter class in new Orleans. After the civil war they just became black people, just like any other.

2) indentured servants and slaves were not the same. Mainly, if an indentured servant had a child, that child would not be born into servitude. The child of a slave is born a slave and will likely die a slave. And while indentured servants could be 'sold' in a way, it wasn't used to break up families. Also, upon completion of their contract (assuming they survived), indentured servants were paid in land. Shitty land, yes, but land nonetheless.

The continued insistence, more than 150 years since abolition, that slavery wasn't as bad as people say, or wasn't as big of a deal as people say, or was just a blah blah blah is infuriating.

Also fuck Andrew Johnson, I hope his corpse was eaten by cock roaches and he's forced to become a share cropper in hell for all eternity.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

It's amazing how many people you'll find that use 'they weren't kidnapped by white people, they were sold by other black people to white slavers" as somehow a justification. Someone, maybe with a family, was bound in chains and shipped halfway around the world to perform labor against their will for the rest of their lives, and their children's lives, and so forth. The circumstances of that event kind of don't matter, and it doesn't make slavers any better that they weren't physically kidnapping people themselves.

You'll often also see people say that there were black slave owners, too! Or that white people were indentured servants, which is just like slavery!

1) yes, there were a few black slave owners in Virginia, and maybe Maryland if I remember right. That lasted all of 30 years before Bacon's Rebellion, when white and black alike rose up against the planter class in Virginia. After that rebellion was put down, they encoded into law that black people were not citizens. No more black slave owners. There was also a mixed creole planter class in new Orleans. After the civil war they just became black people, just like any other.

2) indentured servants and slaves were not the same. Mainly, if an indentured servant had a child, that child would not be born into servitude. The child of a slave is born a slave and will likely die a slave. And while indentured servants could be 'sold' in a way, it wasn't used to break up families. Also, upon completion of their contract (assuming they survived), indentured servants were paid in land. Shitty land, yes, but land nonetheless.

The continued insistence, more than 150 years since abolition, that slavery wasn't as bad as people say, or wasn't as big of a deal as people say, or was just a blah blah blah is infuriating.

Also fuck Andrew Johnson, I hope his corpse was eaten by cock roaches and he's forced to become a share cropper in hell for all eternity.

Another one of my favorites is:

"THE MUSLIMS MADE SLAVES OF WHITE EUROPEANS AS WELL!"

...OK?

1 hour ago, Jason said:
5200.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Guardian analysis finds that private schools, especially Christian schools, use textbooks that tell of a version of history that is racially biased and inaccurate

R3VKf0O.jpg

Indoctrinate them while they are young, and then all these years later, BlueAngel can’t figure out why we are so upset about “a clandestine group of white men who went forth at night.”

• Haha 2

I recommend this book by the way:

content?id=dSrXCwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontco
BOOKS.GOOGLE.CO.KR

A groundbreaking history demonstrating that America's economic supremacy was built on the backs of slaves Americans tend to cast slavery as a pre-modern institution -- the nation's...

A very detailed and readable account of how slavery helped to build America.

Just now, thewhyteboar said:

I recommend this book by the way:

content?id=dSrXCwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontco
BOOKS.GOOGLE.CO.KR

A groundbreaking history demonstrating that America's economic supremacy was built on the backs of slaves Americans tend to cast slavery as a pre-modern institution -- the nation's...

A very detailed and readable account of how slavery helped to build America.

I will wholeheartedly endorse this book as well!

It makes an absolutely compelling argument that the American economic system was effectively built upon slave labor which gave the country a pretty significant economic advantage.  This book's central thesis effectively makes the case for reparations.

Oh! Oh! And my favorite is the people who say "only 5% (or whatever random number pulled out of their ass) of white people in the south owned slaves!"

Take into consideration. Let's say I'm the head of the household. I live with my wife, two younger brothers, two slave drivers, 6 children, and maybe a random in law or two. Technically *I* am the only one who OWNS slaves. Unless a few people are in my wife's name, as tended to happen if you "married up."

Everyone likes to say their ancestors never owned slaves. Like everyone's great grandpappy was nothing more than a yeoman farmer and nope-nope-nope, no slavery here! And surely no racism!

The good ol' yeoman farmer in the south was a minority class. Except in places like west Virginia and Tennessee, which pretty much flipped on the confederacy as fast as possible.

How about some personal systemic racism for a change of pace? My son is five and registered for kindergarten. He has a mild learning disability that primarily affects language. He can talk, but it's very difficult for him to put sentences together so he mostly just strings related words together with no care for grammar. He also has trouble pronouncing words.

When registering him for school, we included this diagnosis from his neurologist. We listed English as the language spoken at home and the only language he knows and understands. However, because we listed his ethnicity as Hispanic, the schools decided to put him in an ESL class as primarily Spanish speaking. This is in spite of us knowing they'd try to pull this and bringing him to an in person evaluation with one of the district's pathologists to make sure people understand that his speech impediment is real and this isn't a case of him only speaking Spanish...you know, because we assumed the letter from his neurologist wouldn't be enough.

None of it matters, because we just got a letter telling us he's still going to get enrolled in an ESL class where the teacher will speak primarily Spanish and he'll have no idea what the hell she's saying. My wife is already on the phone with the school's principal raising hell.

• Guillotine 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

How about some personal systemic racism for a change of pace? My son is five and registered for kindergarten. He has a mild learning disability that primarily affects language. He can talk, but it's very difficult for him to put sentences together so he mostly just strings related words together with no care for grammar. He also has trouble pronouncing words.

When registering him for school, we included this diagnosis from his neurologist. We listed English as the language spoken at home and the only language he knows and understands. However, because we listed his ethnicity as Hispanic, the schools decided to put him in an ESL class as primarily Spanish speaking. This is in spite of us knowing they'd try to pull this and bringing him to an in person evaluation with one of the district's pathologists to make sure people understand that his speech impediment is real and this isn't a case of him only speaking Spanish...you know, because we assumed the letter from his neurologist wouldn't be enough.

None of it matters, because we just got a letter telling us he's still going to get enrolled in an ESL class where the teacher will speak primarily Spanish and he'll have no idea what the hell she's saying. My wife is already on the phone with the school's principal raising hell.

That’s some ‘contact the local news’ shit right there. 

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

That’s some ‘contact the local news’ shit right there. 

I would, but my wife is a teacher working at the sister school my son is registered to attend. She's actually in a position to make a change here. Sucks that most parents aren't.

I mentioned earlier in this thread, but last year as a special needs teacher my wife ran into so many kids that were misplaced. Kids that were "nonverbal autistic", but are actually perfectly fluent in Spanish. The district isn't required to actually staff any non-English speakers and placement tests are given in English.

On top of that, Massachusetts is really strict with teaching requirements, so it can often be really hard to get into the profession unless you have the necessary money to throw at the licensing and testing. That's sometimes hard to come by when you're looking at immigrants or first generation native speakers. My wife was, literally, the only minority teacher in her school that was 50% non-white. Let's see how the new school she's heading to looks like. I should mention, my wife has many years down as a special needs therapist, her bachelor's in early childhood education and is licensed by the state to provide therapy to kids and adults with autism and other more severe mental disabilities. Ignore all that, if it weren't for the temporary relaxing of teacher licensing standards that were put in place because COVID caused huge numbers of teachers to just up and retire, she wouldn't have qualified because her college wasn't on the list of colleges she could go to to become a teacher in this state.

8 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

This happened to my friend back in like the 4th grade, except he was (is) White. He had trouble learning and eventually got home schooled.

Just a small story to remind everybody of how fragile white people can be

There are a couple of independent meteorologists here in Houston that worked together to start a FB page and website called Space City Weather. SCW’s tag line is weather with no hype, because as you can imagine in a city that see tropical cyclones head our way on a fairly regular basis that the local media goes absolutely insane every time a storm looks like it might go into the Gulf of Mexico.

Today they announced they are launching a separate Spanish language site to give the same sort of no-hype weather reporting in a language and cultural context that will fit the massive native Spanish community.

The first comment in the FB post was a white lady saying she is going to stop following their page because of it. The mere fact that they would offer a separate site in a language this lady doesn’t know was enough. ENOUGH.

I don’t understand how people this soft make it to old age

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Just a small story to remind everybody of how fragile white people can be

There are a couple of independent meteorologists here in Houston that worked together to start a FB page and website called Space City Weather. SCW’s tag line is weather with no hype, because as you can imagine in a city that see tropical cyclones head our way on a fairly regular basis that the local media goes absolutely insane every time a storm looks like it might go into the Gulf of Mexico.

Today they announced they are launching a separate Spanish language site to give the same sort of no-hype weather reporting in a language and cultural context that will fit the massive native Spanish community.

The first comment in the FB post was a white lady saying she is going to stop following their page because of it. The mere fact that they would offer a separate site in a language this lady doesn’t know was enough. ENOUGH.

I don’t understand how people this soft make it to old age

They've never been told no and are now surrounded by 24/7 indoctrination that tells them everyone wants to take everything they have away. In the days before cable news and Facebook, these were the family members with uncomfortable opinions that came up only if you probed them. Now, more than ever, they feel comfortable spewing this stuff everywhere and on anyone with or without working ears.