The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

On 3/9/2019 at 1:53 AM, SimpleG said:

https://www.cwbchicago.com/2019/03/exclusive-grand-jury-returns-16-felony.html

"Embattled TV star Jussie Smollett's legal problems have just become significantly more serious as a Cook County grand jury has returned a 16-count true bill of charges against him in connection with his alleged falsification of a hate crime in Streeterville in late January."

104928b9-6234-4c44-9f02-35079a9fb04b-AP_
WWW.USATODAY.COM

After a week-long trial, jurors in the Jussie Smollett case found the ex-'Empire' actor guilty of felony disorderly conduct.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

104928b9-6234-4c44-9f02-35079a9fb04b-AP_
WWW.USATODAY.COM

After a week-long trial, jurors in the Jussie Smollett case found the ex-'Empire' actor guilty of felony disorderly conduct.

Every time I remember that the guy paid his fake attackers with personal checks I laugh

Animated GIF

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Plus it doesn't offend the food crackers.

Cracker isn't about bland Saltines, it's the sound a whip makes, a man whipping slaves = a man cracking a whip = a cracker. 

That's how it ended up used only on white people. "Be quiet here comes the cracker." = STFU rn before we get whipped again by this slave owner. 

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Personally I think ALL racial slurs are wrong, even ones like "cracker" and "honky" and I would never use them. In facy I never really heard ANY black people using them regularly growing up. "Redneck" is questionable because I know some dudes that wear that one with pride.

I don’t get the sense most Black people want to invite the ire of white folks 😂

I think redneck is different as it is specific to a subset of culture and not explicitly about race or even ethnicity. Like, being close to some big rural Black communities here in Texas, I know a LOT of Black rednecks. Driving their lifted trucks, dipping chew, overalls and cowboy boots. The whole nine.

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Cracker isn't about bland Saltines, it's the sound a whip makes, a man whipping slaves = a man cracking a whip = a cracker. 

That's how it ended up used only on white people. "Be quiet here comes the cracker." = STFU rn before we get whipped again by this slave owner. 

It has a long history, and that is just one potential origin for its use. the Wikipedia entry actually does a decent job of covering the history.

640px-Georgia_crackers_1873.jpg
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Personally I think ALL racial slurs are wrong, even ones like "cracker" and "honky" and I would never use them. In facy I never really heard ANY black people using them regularly growing up. "Redneck" is questionable because I know some dudes that wear that one with pride.

I dunno. Jeff Foxworthy was a white guy who was pretty popular using it so it can't be too offensive. :p

• 4 weeks later...