Jump to content

The Official Thread of Systemic Racism


Recommended Posts

I’ll play devil’s advocate here for a minute. I can see from some people’s perspectives that saying American is racist is like saying your family is racist because your grandpa and mother are racist, and if a colored person shows up for dinner with a family member they only use paper plates and plastic utensils. The family has racists, but isn’t holistically racist.
 

one could argue that all the voter suppression bills in places like Georgia are not because of racism. Not because so many voters are black. It’s because those voters vote for Democrats. If Blacks overwhelmingly voted Republican we wouldn’t see some of these voter suppression bills.  We’d still wouldn’t see policies or laws to make their lives better or more fair. Tim Scott only cares about one person. Tim Scott. 
 

now I’m don’t with that. Because the people who are all butt-hurt over the thought of America being racist are the same people who wouldn’t even read the resume of a person with that sounds too black/ethnic. And seeing a headline of somebody with a name like being killed by police their first thought is the person must be a violent criminal or had something to do with drugs. 
 

we still have enough resists, and systems and practices designed by racists that you really shouldn’t say America isn’t racist.  We’ve yet to wipe away those mindsets from everyone that matters, and we haven’t come close to correcting wrong done decades ago targeted to make it harder for certain racial demographics to succeed in life. 
 

so shame in Biden and Harris for giving Republicans and Fox News a pass on their racism. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

America isn’t racist.

 

In it’s 200 or so years of existence it’s found a way to hate ALL RACES at one point or another equally!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, sblfilms said:

 

Or maybe he actually believes it? I mean, do you know any Black people very well? I kinda do :p There are millions of Black conservatives who feel that same way.

 

To the best of my knowledge I do not know any black conservatives. I wish I did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ort said:

To the best of my knowledge I do not know any black conservatives. I wish I did.

 

I'm first gen Puerto Rican. I know SO many brown conservatives. They all think Republicans like them because they're socially conservative and not immigrants. It's hilarious because Republicans barely even acknowledge the island as part of the US.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

 

I'm first gen Puerto Rican. I know SO many brown conservatives. They all think Republicans like them because they're socially conservative and not immigrants. It's hilarious because Republicans barely even acknowledge the island as part of the US.


i love the cadence in saying “first Gen Puerto Rican”. Got a nice rhyme to it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of my wife's family is pretty conservative politically. Many of them are openly racist too... like, they don't even hide it or speak in coded language... it's just pure racism flowing freely and without hesitation or shame. Part of me has more respect for that kind of racist than the one's who pretend like it doesn't exist.

Link to post
Share on other sites

People seem to have a view that being racist means that you hate people of a different race, when really racism is a spectrum. Yes on the far end there is the white supremacists who think all other races should be exterminated, but then there is the more casual racism like thinking Asians are bad drivers, or thinking it's no big deal to drop the n-word even though "I have Black friends". 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Brick said:

Asians are bad drivers

Kinda true though 

 

This was my mom , but she never bothered to ask her self about turn signals.

Best Family Guy Asian Driver GIFs | Gfycat

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just served this old lady. She seemed very nice. She was joined by a Latino friend of hers who is a cook at a Chinese place down the street. After he left, she was like "he's a great chef, you know how those people from Mexico City are. It comes from their mothers.

 

I've learned over the last few years that even good stereotypes are still stereotypes, and they are all rooted in racism, even if it's a more benign form of it

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I just served this old lady. She seemed very nice. She was joined by a Latino friend of hers who is a cook at a Chinese place down the street. After he left, she was like "he's a great chef, you know how those people from Mexico City are. It comes from their mothers.

 

I've learned over the last few years that even good stereotypes are still stereotypes, and they are all rooted in racism, even if it's a more benign form of it

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I just served this old lady. She seemed very nice. She was joined by a Latino friend of hers who is a cook at a Chinese place down the street. After he left, she was like "he's a great chef, you know how those people from Mexico City are. It comes from their mothers.

 

I've learned over the last few years that even good stereotypes are still stereotypes, and they are all rooted in racism, even if it's a more benign form of it


I am going to say I don’t think you can call it racism to believe that people from a particular city are more skilled or whatever. Maybe there is something missing in your post that you are thinking of?

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:


I am going to say I don’t think you can call it racism to believe that people from a particular city are more skilled or whatever. Maybe there is something missing in your post that you are thinking of?

I mean it's like generalizing asians to all be good at math or something. I've met Asian people who kind of get... Not "offended" necessarily, but something adjacent to that because they suck at math.

 

Generalizing people in those kinds of ways is still a form of racism, even if there's no evil intent behind it.

 

Also I may have just been inferring that she meant mexicans in general

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I mean it's like generalizing asians to all be good at math or something. I've met Asian people who kind of get... Not "offended" necessarily, but something adjacent to that because they suck at math.

 

Generalizing people in those kinds of ways is still a form of racism, even if there's no evil intent behind it.

 

Also I may have just been inferring that she meant mexicans in general

 

Noting that Asians in the aggregate are higher achievers in math is a statement of fact and is either true or false. The issue of racism would come in the "why" of that statement. If you believe Asians are better at math as a condition of genetics, you are making a racist suggestion. But let's say you believe that Asian cultures in the aggregate place a high value on educational attainment and thus perform better than their non-Asian peers, you aren't making a racist claim.

 

In regards to your story, I think it is odd that she would specifically make reference to Mexico city if she were making a generalized point about Mexicans or hispanic people. But your interpretation could very well be correct!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

 

Noting that Asians in the aggregate are higher achievers in math is a statement of fact and is either true or false. The issue of racism would come in the "why" of that statement. If you believe Asians are better at math as a condition of genetics, you are making a racist suggestion. But let's say you believe that Asian cultures in the aggregate place a high value on educational attainment and thus perform better than their non-Asian peers, you aren't making a racist claim.

 

In regards to your story, I think it is odd that she would specifically make reference to Mexico city if she were making a generalized point about Mexicans or hispanic people. But your interpretation could very well be correct!

 

They bigger issue with the Asian thing is that it treats an entire continent of VERY different peoples as a monolith and that keeps it in the realm of racism. That's how you end up with something like Indians aren't really Asians in the equation here, even if they're like a third of all Asians. It also ignore things like "Hey, it's really expensive to fly and relocate to the US from South Korea, so anyone that does is already ahead of the game compared to most others immigrants."

 

Either way, I think this dude goes over the subject best...

 

 

In the end, any stereotypes, even if they are perceived to come from a good place removes the individuality of that person and in doing so is racist.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that is exactly my point. There is a meaningful difference between “Asians are good at math (because they are Asian)” and “Asians have higher achievement levels in math”. The former is a stereotype derived from the latter which is just a fact.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yes, that is exactly my point. There is a meaningful difference between “Asians are good at math (because they are Asian)” and “Asians have higher achievement levels in math”. The former is a stereotype derived from the latter which is just a fact.

 

The latter isn't really true, though. That could be better summarized as wealthier immigrants have better educational achievements which couldn't be more obvious of a statement. Like nobody should really believe the numbers that come out of China...

 

T43VVXX3PQI6THQCDVC4WPP2R4.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

An expert examined PISA results going back years. Here’s what he found.

 

Once you account for that, you end up with a random smattering of countries with strong education systems around the globe from Singapore to Estonia.

 

Asians in the US have a higher average salary than their European or Latin American counterparts. Why? Again, immigrating to the US from the opposite side of the globe is expensive and complicated, so yeah, wealthier immigrants tend to do better in this country than less wealthy immigrants. Put another way, rich people find it easier to succeed in the US out anywhere. Tune in next time for more shocking news.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The highest performing nations in math are disproportionately the East Asian countries that have the most shared culture with regards to education. Yes, you don’t have to convince me China manipulates their way to number 1 :p 

 

Obviously there are Asian nations that don’t share the same cultural views on education and unsurprisingly they perform worse in the hard sciences than the East Asian nations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Yes, that is exactly my point. There is a meaningful difference between “Asians are good at math (because they are Asian)” and “Asians have higher achievement levels in math”. The former is a stereotype derived from the latter which is just a fact.

 

I’ll be honest, in this case I am fine fudging the literal truth in public discussion because I don’t trust people to be able to split the hair or to draw the correct conclusion even when the thing is properly stated. Also, personally, the people I run into IRL who have said things like “Asians have higher achievement levels in math,” also say shit like, “black people are incarcerated at rates higher than other races” and it’s obvious that they think there are SIMILAR REASONS for both even if the language they use is cautious.

 

So I’m fine throwing the baby out with the bath water here.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a great piece to add some sexism to our little thread about racism...

 

GettyImages-1218023057-16x9-1.jpg?w=700
FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

When Lajuana Phillips was shot and killed by a police officer in late 2018, she was a mother of three children, a daughter and a cousin who was described by fam…

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

https://www.tampabay.com/news/2021/05/05/think-twice-before-you-whip-out-your-phone-and-record-a-cop-in-florida-you-could-be-arrested/

 

EDIT - For some reason the site is not auto-embedding.

 

Quote

A divided Florida appeals court ruling on Wednesday upheld the arrest of a woman who filmed officers outside a movie theater.

 

Officers had the authority to arrest a young mother named Tasha Ford who recorded them detaining her teenage son in 2009, based on a 2-1 opinion by judges at the 4th District Court of Appeal.

 

But it turned into a confrontation in the parking lot. Officers said they gave repeated orders for her to stop using the camera without their permission, as it was interfering with the investigation of the teen accused of sneaking into a theater.

 

Lawyers for the officers argued Ford invaded their privacy, justifying the charges of intercepting oral communications and obstruction without violence.

 

  • Guillotine 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 9:34 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Why are cops involved with a teen sneaking into a theater.  Its some slightly older teens job to kick him out.  You don’t get a record for sneaking into a movie.  The fuq

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Why are cops involved with a teen sneaking into a theater.  Its some slightly older teens job to kick him out.  You don’t get a record for sneaking into a movie.  The fuq

Because its easier to have them deal with it and then put up with the bullshit from kids. It only takes one incident to have someone say you did something especially a minor to ruin a business, or worse if there is a physical altercation and the kid gets hurt or your employee get injured.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

You can also not bother with dumb kids sneaking into the theater. Some things aren’t worth fighting.

There was a post on nextdoor here where apparently someone parked their car on a fairly busy road and the two passengers went into the back of the car to apparently have sex. First comment (because it's nextdoor) was "did you call the cops?" ... Like goddammit not every bad/questionable situation needs armed agents of the state to resolve. Apparently they left after 20-30 mins though so it's not like it's a big deal tbh

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There was a post on nextdoor here where apparently someone parked their car on a fairly busy road and the two passengers went into the back of the car to apparently have sex. First comment (because it's nextdoor) was "did you call the cops?" ... Like goddammit not every bad/questionable situation needs armed agents of the state to resolve. Apparently they left after 20-30 mins though so it's not like it's a big deal tbh

Fucking cop blockers.

  • UpDoot 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
210510182723-brooks-dashcam-video-super-
EDITION.CNN.COM

Juanisha Brooks was stopped and arrested by a pair of Virginia State Police officers on March 6. A Virginia prosecutor now says she should never have been pulled over.

 

I love that the prosecutor is saying the cops are wrong here, but just trips over himself to not call them liars.

 

210510182723-brooks-dashcam-video-super-
AMP.CNN.COM

A Black employee of the Defense Department should not have been stopped by Virginia state troopers, says a prosecutor who dismissed the four charges against her and wants an...

 

 

Quote

In his letter, Descano writes the dashcam footage "does not provide a factual basis to support the warrants or summons issued in this case" and added that the written reports, charging decisions and the video footage gave him pause.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...