The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

26 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I am going to say I don’t think you can call it racism to believe that people from a particular city are more skilled or whatever. Maybe there is something missing in your post that you are thinking of?

I mean it's like generalizing asians to all be good at math or something. I've met Asian people who kind of get... Not "offended" necessarily, but something adjacent to that because they suck at math.

Generalizing people in those kinds of ways is still a form of racism, even if there's no evil intent behind it.

Also I may have just been inferring that she meant mexicans in general

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I mean it's like generalizing asians to all be good at math or something. I've met Asian people who kind of get... Not "offended" necessarily, but something adjacent to that because they suck at math.

Generalizing people in those kinds of ways is still a form of racism, even if there's no evil intent behind it.

Also I may have just been inferring that she meant mexicans in general

Noting that Asians in the aggregate are higher achievers in math is a statement of fact and is either true or false. The issue of racism would come in the "why" of that statement. If you believe Asians are better at math as a condition of genetics, you are making a racist suggestion. But let's say you believe that Asian cultures in the aggregate place a high value on educational attainment and thus perform better than their non-Asian peers, you aren't making a racist claim.

In regards to your story, I think it is odd that she would specifically make reference to Mexico city if she were making a generalized point about Mexicans or hispanic people. But your interpretation could very well be correct!

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Noting that Asians in the aggregate are higher achievers in math is a statement of fact and is either true or false. The issue of racism would come in the "why" of that statement. If you believe Asians are better at math as a condition of genetics, you are making a racist suggestion. But let's say you believe that Asian cultures in the aggregate place a high value on educational attainment and thus perform better than their non-Asian peers, you aren't making a racist claim.

In regards to your story, I think it is odd that she would specifically make reference to Mexico city if she were making a generalized point about Mexicans or hispanic people. But your interpretation could very well be correct!

They bigger issue with the Asian thing is that it treats an entire continent of VERY different peoples as a monolith and that keeps it in the realm of racism. That's how you end up with something like Indians aren't really Asians in the equation here, even if they're like a third of all Asians. It also ignore things like "Hey, it's really expensive to fly and relocate to the US from South Korea, so anyone that does is already ahead of the game compared to most others immigrants."

Either way, I think this dude goes over the subject best...

In the end, any stereotypes, even if they are perceived to come from a good place removes the individuality of that person and in doing so is racist.

Yes, that is exactly my point. There is a meaningful difference between “Asians are good at math (because they are Asian)” and “Asians have higher achievement levels in math”. The former is a stereotype derived from the latter which is just a fact.

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yes, that is exactly my point. There is a meaningful difference between “Asians are good at math (because they are Asian)” and “Asians have higher achievement levels in math”. The former is a stereotype derived from the latter which is just a fact.

The latter isn't really true, though. That could be better summarized as wealthier immigrants have better educational achievements which couldn't be more obvious of a statement. Like nobody should really believe the numbers that come out of China...

T43VVXX3PQI6THQCDVC4WPP2R4.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

An expert examined PISA results going back years. Here’s what he found.

Once you account for that, you end up with a random smattering of countries with strong education systems around the globe from Singapore to Estonia.

Asians in the US have a higher average salary than their European or Latin American counterparts. Why? Again, immigrating to the US from the opposite side of the globe is expensive and complicated, so yeah, wealthier immigrants tend to do better in this country than less wealthy immigrants. Put another way, rich people find it easier to succeed in the US out anywhere. Tune in next time for more shocking news.

The highest performing nations in math are disproportionately the East Asian countries that have the most shared culture with regards to education. Yes, you don’t have to convince me China manipulates their way to number 1 :p 

Obviously there are Asian nations that don’t share the same cultural views on education and unsurprisingly they perform worse in the hard sciences than the East Asian nations.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I’ll be honest, in this case I am fine fudging the literal truth in public discussion because I don’t trust people to be able to split the hair or to draw the correct conclusion even when the thing is properly stated. Also, personally, the people I run into IRL who have said things like “Asians have higher achievement levels in math,” also say shit like, “black people are incarcerated at rates higher than other races” and it’s obvious that they think there are SIMILAR REASONS for both even if the language they use is cautious.

So I’m fine throwing the baby out with the bath water here.

• Like 1

Here's a great piece to add some sexism to our little thread about racism...

GettyImages-1218023057-16x9-1.jpg?w=700
FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

When Lajuana Phillips was shot and killed by a police officer in late 2018, she was a mother of three children, a daughter and a cousin who was described by fam…

https://www.tampabay.com/news/2021/05/05/think-twice-before-you-whip-out-your-phone-and-record-a-cop-in-florida-you-could-be-arrested/

EDIT - For some reason the site is not auto-embedding.

A divided Florida appeals court ruling on Wednesday upheld the arrest of a woman who filmed officers outside a movie theater.

Officers had the authority to arrest a young mother named Tasha Ford who recorded them detaining her teenage son in 2009, based on a 2-1 opinion by judges at the 4th District Court of Appeal.

But it turned into a confrontation in the parking lot. Officers said they gave repeated orders for her to stop using the camera without their permission, as it was interfering with the investigation of the teen accused of sneaking into a theater.

Lawyers for the officers argued Ford invaded their privacy, justifying the charges of intercepting oral communications and obstruction without violence.

• Guillotine 5

On 5/7/2021 at 9:34 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Why are cops involved with a teen sneaking into a theater.  Its some slightly older teens job to kick him out.  You don’t get a record for sneaking into a movie.  The fuq

41 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Why are cops involved with a teen sneaking into a theater.  Its some slightly older teens job to kick him out.  You don’t get a record for sneaking into a movie.  The fuq

Because its easier to have them deal with it and then put up with the bullshit from kids. It only takes one incident to have someone say you did something especially a minor to ruin a business, or worse if there is a physical altercation and the kid gets hurt or your employee get injured.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

You can also not bother with dumb kids sneaking into the theater. Some things aren’t worth fighting.

There was a post on nextdoor here where apparently someone parked their car on a fairly busy road and the two passengers went into the back of the car to apparently have sex. First comment (because it's nextdoor) was "did you call the cops?" ... Like goddammit not every bad/questionable situation needs armed agents of the state to resolve. Apparently they left after 20-30 mins though so it's not like it's a big deal tbh

39 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There was a post on nextdoor here where apparently someone parked their car on a fairly busy road and the two passengers went into the back of the car to apparently have sex. First comment (because it's nextdoor) was "did you call the cops?" ... Like goddammit not every bad/questionable situation needs armed agents of the state to resolve. Apparently they left after 20-30 mins though so it's not like it's a big deal tbh

Fucking cop blockers.

210510182723-brooks-dashcam-video-super-
EDITION.CNN.COM

Juanisha Brooks was stopped and arrested by a pair of Virginia State Police officers on March 6. A Virginia prosecutor now says she should never have been pulled over.

I love that the prosecutor is saying the cops are wrong here, but just trips over himself to not call them liars.

210510182723-brooks-dashcam-video-super-
AMP.CNN.COM

A Black employee of the Defense Department should not have been stopped by Virginia state troopers, says a prosecutor who dismissed the four charges against her and wants an...

In his letter, Descano writes the dashcam footage "does not provide a factual basis to support the warrants or summons issued in this case" and added that the written reports, charging decisions and the video footage gave him pause.

Larry Krasner, got a primary challenger for Philly DA as kind of a referendum on criminal justice reform, even though the increase in violence in Philadelphia has coincided exactly with the pandemic in the same way it did everywhere else in the country. It looks like he's going to win easily.

33 minutes ago, Brick said:

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country." :/

I can't even see what the video is. 

Good Hair is on Netflix. It touches on the same subject.

I really do hope we're in a better place 10-15 years from now when my youngest is ending the work place with her natural hair that will start up in a ponytail, even after your remove the hair ties.

I have to give his writers a hand for allowing him to talk about black hair and not sound stupid. There were definitely some black folk among the writers.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Good Hair is on Netflix. It touches on the same subject.

I really do hope we're in a better place 10-15 years from now when my youngest is ending the work place with her natural hair that will start up in a ponytail, even after your remove the hair ties.

I have to give his writers a hand for allowing him to talk about black hair and not sound stupid. There were definitely some black folk among the writers.

He’s made a bunch of jokes this season about black hair products that suggest he’s got some black writers on staff.

Mainly because I had to log onto a VPN, go into a private tab, then use DuckDuckGo to figure out what the jokes were about. White/10 confirmed, many shame.

• Haha 1

One of my brothers wears his hair in dreads and we would laugh about how he was ALWAYS getting called to be in company photo ops at the software development firm he worked at right out of college. There can also be some weird almost fetishizing of natural and protective hair styles, in addition to the more obvious racist stuff.

31 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

He’s made a bunch of jokes this season about black hair products that suggest he’s got some black writers on staff.

Mainly because I had to log onto a VPN, go into a private tab, then use DuckDuckGo to figure out what the jokes were about. White/10 confirmed, many shame.

He absolutely does. I was actually able to follow everything he was talking about.

Either way, everything he talks about here is true and sucks. I've bitched about hair issues my wife and daughters have dealt with before around here plenty of times. My wife FINALLY found a hair dresser she likes and can actually do her hair and keep it natural. It's a full hour drive away. She went through the same experience of calling up stylist after stylist looking for something, anything. For a while, she was going to my barber because finding a barber that knows how to do natural hair on men is easy easier than it is for women, go figure.

Fun fact, John Oliver is right, braiding hair totally takes a long time. First time my wife visit her new stylist she wound up having to give her a ride home because the buses were shut down for the day. I think it took a good four or five hours. That's better than the previous terrible braid job she got that took twice as long. Yeah, that's right, imagine sitting in a chair like that for 8-10 hours.