The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

10 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Bipartisanship is for losers and morons

Why even bother with a police reform bill that was dead on arrival in the first place? Someone explain to me why Biden couldn't just direct the DOJ to handle a boatload of police brutality cases, themselves? I mean, yes, the next Republican president can just drop it, but better than doing nothing while Congress also does nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

this is moderate by republican standards

He's also like 200 years old, so...

And yeah, like @Commissar SFLUFAN said, the "model minority" myth that most Republicans (and old people in general) like to hold up about Asians having a harder work ethic comes from the fact that non-Japanese Asians, for the most part, were not allowed in the country between 1882 and 1965. When Asians finally were allowed into the country, we basically only took all of their engineers, doctors, etc. So old white people (and young conservatives) like to hold up Asians as "see? if THEY can do it, I don't know what everyone else is bitching about!" without taking into context that we were basically only taking their best and brightest from the beginning.

15 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

He's also like 200 years old, so...

And yeah, like @Commissar SFLUFAN said, the "model minority" myth that most Republicans (and old people in general) like to hold up about Asians having a harder work ethic comes from the fact that non-Japanese Asians, for the most part, were not allowed in the country between 1882 and 1965. When Asians finally were allowed into the country, we basically only took all of their engineers, doctors, etc. So old white people (and young conservatives) like to hold up Asians as "see? if THEY can do it, I don't know what everyone else is bitching about!" without taking into context that we were basically only taking their best and brightest from the beginning.

And conservative white guys want an "Asian wife"

3303.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Hospital staff assumed Joyce Echaquan was an opioid addict. She was dying of a rare heart condition

An Indigenous woman who was taunted by nursing staff as she lay dying in a Quebec hospital would probably be alive today if she were white, a coroner has concluded.

The death of Joyce Echaquan was an “undeniable” example of systematic racism in the province, the Québec coroner Géhane Kamel told reporters on Tuesday.

“From the first minute she entered the hospital, a label was placed on Ms Echaquan,” she said.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
BARIWEISS.SUBSTACK.COM

New evidence comes to light. And Amy Cooper breaks her silence.

I heard an interview with Kmele Foster ad he brought up a bunch of things about the infamous birder/dog walker story where supposedly a white woman was trying to get a Black man killed because he told her to follow the rules.

This is not remotely the story, and we know it isn’t because the birder actually posted on FB detailing his threat to the woman which lead to the call to 911.

It is a good reminder to wait before deciding what happened based on a short video clip. It is easy to think video doesn’t lie, but video only tells a piece of the story.

For example, the video would lead one to believe the woman was just repeating the fact that he was a Black man, and her nearly hysterical pitch and pace was some signal that the police needed to rush in to save her at the man’s expense. No, it turns out she just had a bad phone connection to the dispatcher and was getting flustered because the dispatcher couldn’t make out what she was saying, as proven by the police recordings of the 911 call.

And this woman’s life was legitimately destroyed by our collective knee jerk reaction. We have to stop doing this.

In the post, Christian recorded his contemporaneous account of what happened in the moments before the camera started rolling. “Look, if you’re going to do what you want, I’m going to do what I want, but you’re not going to like it,” Christian recounted himself saying to Amy. He also shared that he’d pulled out “the dog treats I carry for just for [sic] such intransigence.”

I had read an embarrassing number of stories and social media takes about this brief conflict. Not a single one of them had mentioned this public Facebook post.

He gave the dogs treats. This isn't a threat.

The fact that you pulled this from Bari fucking Weiss's substack is blatantly obvious that this is a total whitewashing of what happened. 

The amount of dog whistles in this article are enough to make me sick. 

Also, let's go into this a little more.

So why tell this story?

To tell this story is to address a different set of problems.

Among them: our collective intoxication with public shaming. Our willingness to dispense with due process when we think we “know” the truth in the absence of evidence.

Now, I know Bari Weiss isn't the author of this piece. But it's her substack. 

Bari Weiss has made a living on publicly shaming people. In college, she protested a report by Columbia University that showed that a Middle Eastern studies professor did NOT intimidate pro-Israel students. She instead took to publicly shaming him.

She has also tried to destroy the reputation of academic Nadia Abu El-Haj when he questioned her conclusions on anthropology when relating to the Jews' claim on Israel's territory. Weiss circulated a petition to prevent El-Haj from getting a teaching position (but that failed). 

This is nonsense. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

He gave the dogs treats. This isn't a threat.

The fact that you pulled this from Bari fucking Weiss's substack is blatantly obvious that this is a total whitewashing of what happened. 

The amount of dog whistles in this article are enough to make me sick. 

I just went over the article and this really is the angle here. This is dumb. I very specifically remember this story for exactly this. He threatened to feed her dog if she wouldn't leash it. I don't understand how this is news to anyone. It was reported when the story first came out. It was reported along with the dude's exact words. I can probably find the posts where we talk about this very specific thing with his very specific "threat" in this thread. I don't understand how any of this is new information. I'll do you all a favor. I went back in time in this very thread to see if we ever spoke about him threatening to feed her dog...

35 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I just went over the article and this really is the angle here. This is dumb. I very specifically remember this story for exactly this. He threatened to feed her dog if she wouldn't leash it. I don't understand how this is news to anyone. It was reported when the story first came out. It was reported along with the dude's exact words. I can probably find the posts where we talk about this very specific thing with his very specific "threat" in this thread. I don't understand how any of this is new information. I'll do you ask a favor. I went back in time in this very thread to see if we ever spoke about him threatening to feed her dog...

My takeaway is that @skillzdadirectaactually reads the articles

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

My takeaway is that @skillzdadirectaactually reads the articles

My assumption, anytime I see an article that says something like this...

He threatened her, I thought, stunned. He says himself that he approached her — a woman alone in a wooded area. He tried to lure away her dog. How was this the first time I was reading these details? Had I just missed them in the other stories I’d read?

...is that yes, you missed them because your didn't read the articles.

I don’t know who Bari Weiss is and I don’t really care, because the details don’t come from her or even the author of the article. They came from both people involved who don’t disagree on anything that happened, and other sources like the actual 911 calls, and third party interviews with people who had interactions with the male Cooper in the past. 

If you think “I’m going to do what I’m going to do and you won’t like it” isn’t a threat, you’re just lying to yourselves. He never gave the dog a treat either, by his own admission. 

Read the quotes from the other Black man who had a similar interaction with the male Cooper. The guy is just a jerk.

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t know who Bari Weiss is and I don’t really care, because the details don’t come from her or even the author of the article. They came from both people involved who don’t disagree on anything that happened, and other sources like the actual 911 calls, and third party interviews with people who had interactions with the male Cooper in the past. 

If you think “I’m going to do what I’m going to do and you won’t like it” isn’t a threat, you’re just lying to yourselves. He never gave the dog a treat either, by his own admission. 

Read the quotes from the other Black man who had a similar interaction with the male Cooper. The guy is just a jerk.

You got grifted bro.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

I very specifically remember this story for exactly this. He threatened to feed her dog if she wouldn't leash it. 

This is exactly the point, you remember what the media narrative is even though this never happened. He didn’t threaten to feed her dog by his own account of the events, but it was turned in to that and to this day you still believe that is what occurred.

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Wait, is the new news about this that he "Threatened" to give her dog treats? :lol:

Again, he by his own words did not threaten to give the dog treats. He never said that, and never even attempted to do so because as soon as he called the dog over she picked the dog up. You are peddling a version of the story the media told you, that neither parties to the incident ever claimed happened.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is exactly the point, you remember what the media narrative is even though this never happened. He didn’t threaten to feed her dog by his own account of the events, but it was turned in to that and to this day you still believe that is what occurred.

Wait, then what is the point of this article? I guess the point is that we thought he made a threat about giving her dog a treat and that was false so we should be even more upset with her? That seems completely at odds with the intent of the author there. That's also at odds with actual facts.

Here's an interview the dude gave NPR last year...

facebook-default-wide.jpg?s=1400
WWW.NPR.ORG

NPR's Ailsa Chang talks with Christian Cooper, an avid birder who asked a woman to leash her dog, which led to a verbal altercation he caught on tape.

CHANG: ...What you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it? That's - I'm reading directly from your Facebook post.

C COOPER: Yes. Exactly. Yeah. I basically told her, look. If you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want. And then at that point, I pulled out a bag of treats that I carry - dog treats.

CHANG: And why do you carry dog treats while you're out birding?

C COOPER: Because when I'm out birding - exactly. Why would I, a non-dog walker, carry dog treats? Because over the years, that has proven the most effective way to get a recalcitrant dog owner to put their dog on the leash because they don't like it when a stranger feeds their dog treats.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Wait, is the new news about this that he "Threatened" to give her dog treats? :lol: THAT'S why we're retroactively "Both sides"-ing this? That's NOT news... It was reported when the story first broke, I SPECIFICALLY pointed that part out and even acknowledged how it could be perceived as threatening until you see the context, and it doesn't change a GOD DAMNED THING. She still tried to weaponize the police against that man for having the temerity to ask her to put her dog on a leash. SHE racialized that encounter not him. Point blank, period, full stop.

But her whiteness

40 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Wait, then what is the point of this article? I guess the point is that we thought he made a threat about giving her dog a treat and that was false so we should be even more upset with her? That seems completely at odds with the intent of the author there. That's also at odds with actual facts.

Here's an interview the dude gave NPR last year...

facebook-default-wide.jpg?s=1400
WWW.NPR.ORG

NPR's Ailsa Chang talks with Christian Cooper, an avid birder who asked a woman to leash her dog, which led to a verbal altercation he caught on tape.

He DID threaten her, but it wasn’t with feeding the dog. But the media narrative became that he threatened to feed the dog treats, which is not what he said when he posted the video on Facebook that started the whole thing.

He just made an open ended threat, which any reasonable person would understand that to be intentional intimidation on his part.

But you and @skillzdadirectahave both repeated the false narrative that his threat was to feed the dog treats. Even the article you just linked to does not include him claiming he threatened to give the dog treats, but your bias from prior news stories makes you read that into what he actually describes happening.

36 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

He DID threaten her, but it wasn’t with feeding the dog. But the media narrative became that he threatened to feed the dog treats, which is not what he said when he posted the video on Facebook that started the whole thing.

He just made an open ended threat, which any reasonable person would understand that to be intentional intimidation on his part.

But you and @skillzdadirectahave both repeated the false narrative that his threat was to feed the dog treats. Even the article you just linked to does not include him claiming he threatened to give the dog treats, but your bias from prior news stories makes you read that into what he actually describes happening.

I don't think anyone here was ever confused over what happened. Go reread the post I drug up from last year by he who shall not be pulled into this. You're forgetting that she called the police AFTER she pulled her dog away AFTER he pulled out the treats. Then, once she has her dog SHE gets in his face while he's recording the encounter. Did you forget the paart where she tells a black man that she's going to call the police and tell them a black man is trying to kill her? Can you explain to me a situation where telling someone their own ethnicity while threatening to call the police is not a race issue? Like, in what situation is telling an African American man "I'm going to call the police and tell them there's an American American man threatening me." not an implied threat of police violence? Maybe you need to rewatch the original video he took?

The author of the article you posted seems very confused, so you might be casting us in the same light. None of us were confused or are now. I've got no problem reading into context of telling a black man that you're going to call the police and tell them there's a black man causing trouble.