Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

1 minute ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

But that was Jon Snow's destiny!

I mean, it does feel like I was robbed of my final boss. Like, imagine playing Zelda and when you get to Ganondorf, right before the boss fight begins, Zelda comes in, shoots him with a light arrow and then the credits role. That was what Arya killing the NK felt like to me. Maybe people would like that, but I want my fucking boss fight.  

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I mean, it does feel like I was robbed of my final boss. Like, imagine playing Zelda and when you get to Ganondorf, right before the boss fight begins, Zelda comes in, shoots him with a light arrow and then the credits role. That was what Arya killing the NK felt like to me. Maybe people would like that, but I want my fucking boss fight.  

This ain’t legend of fucking Zelda 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, thewhyteboar said:

I have this tiny inkling that GRRM is sitting on the book until the show is done. Then he can have all the fanfare and finish on his own terms. But I also know it's not gonna happen and we will never get another book. ㅠㅠ

I honestly think he's written himself into a corner and let the readers get ahead of him. Between the show and fan theories, he may feel like anything he puts out will be underwhelming. I think he's legit afraid to finish them because he's a victim of unrealistic expectations... now he HAS to top the show and he probably isn't sure he can do it.

Also after rewatching the episode a couple of other things that jumped out to me...

The bad assery of the Unsullied who are basically the Spartans of this Universe.

Where was Meera and the Reeds? Aren't they Stark Bannermen? Or are they in The Riverlands?

The irony of Jorah using the Tarly family sword to defend Danerys... the woman who executed the heads of the Tarly family.

That last sequence with the piano score...

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I honestly think he's written himself into a corner and let the readers get ahead of him. Between the show and fan theories, he may feel like anything he puts out will be underwhelming. I think he's legit afraid to finish them because he's a victim of unrealistic expectations... now he HAS to top the show and he probably isn't sure he can do it.

Also after rewatching the episode a couple of other things that jumped out to me...

The bad assery of the Unsullied who are basically the Spartans of this Universe.

Where was Meera and the Reeds? Aren't they Stark Bannermen? Or are they in The Riverlands?

The irony of Jorah using the Tarly family sword to defend Danerys... the woman who executed the heads of the Tarly family.

That last sequence with the piano score...

I didn't know the Unsullied raped little boys. :hmm:

11 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I wouldn't hold my breath on HBO releasing further seasons on UHD BD.

I have the feeling that releasing Season 1 in UHD BD was a "demand test" and the data indicated that it wasn't there.

I get that because DVDs are still most popular. But I’d buy the series collection on 4K but I’m not buying it on anything less than that. 

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the last two books are basically done and Martin is waiting for the show to finish just so he can make them different than the show.

I hope so. But he has been very candid about the Meereenese Knot that he can't untange. And what @skillzdadirecta said above. He's backed into a corner by his own success and has no way to both subvert expectations and come to a satisfying conclusion. 

But just finish Dunk and Egg!!! I need to know what happened at Summerhall.

1 hour ago, LazyPiranha said:

The Night King walked into a room with three people in it, two of which could fight worth a damn and by the time he actually got to the three eyed raven, the only people with weapons were long gone because his army of zombies had chased them off.  He's not walking into a well prepared fortress with an army of soldiers.  

I'm not saying there's literally zero reason, I'm just saying it's not exactly a satisfying one because we generally know so little about him.

And this time the Night King Walked into a completely overrun castle. Where, to his knowledge all of its heroes were pinned down or dead. He walked into a room with a cripple and a lone maybe above average warrior. Which he dispatched with incredible ease. You say he walked into a well prepared fortress? He didn’t walk in at the beginning of the fight, we walked in when it was mere moments from complete destruction. His actions in the final episode were 100% logical and consistent with how he acted previously throughout the show. 

I loved the episode and can't say much that hasn't already been said. My only issue is I wish Cersei would have had to deal with the army of the dead at some point. Also I feel like the army of dead was a much bigger threat then all of the iron throne nonsense. Jon and everybody survives this big epic battle against the Night King and oh yeah we still gotta go get Cersei out of power now. They just saved the human race for crying out loud. Now let's go get that iron chair! 

With the lack of deaths of named characters in this battle I think we are going to get an overall happy ending to the series. I had my going to die list at 16 going into the battle with another 8 or so in the maybe column. What did we end up with 5 or 6 and some of those were minor characters at this point. Biggest death in terms of screen time outside of Theon who was essentially the free space would probably be Jorah but even that qualifies as a happy ending for him, literally dying for Danny, he probably jizzed his pants every time he was stabbed. 

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, elbobo said:

With the lack of deaths of named characters in this battle I think we are going to get an overall happy ending to the series. I had my going to die list at 16 going into the battle with another 8 or so in the maybe column. What did we end up with 5 or 6 and some of those were minor characters at this point. Biggest death in terms of screen time outside of Theon who was essentially the free space would probably be Jorah but even that qualifies as a happy ending for him, literally dying for Danny, he probably jizzed his pants every time he was stabbed. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, nublood said:

- Arya killing the NK is the most forced, lamest thing I've seen on TV in 2019.

- Was hoping Jon wouldn't be so useless 

- It's like Melisandre used her one special ability..... for nothing

- Brienne getting swarmed twice and not even taking damage? Ok.

- Can't see shit captain.

It was literally the least forced thing in the episode.

17 minutes ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

Where the hell was Howland Reed and Meera?  The books indicate they live in the north in a bog on some sort of moving island... maybe next week they come in to supplement the norths forces?  

I think their location is somewhere to the south by the riverlands....

Meera kind of just pissed off after delivering Bran to Winterfell. Howland was only seen in Bran's Tower of Joy flashback I believe.

Moat Cailin was last seen when it was run by starving Ironborn and then Ramsey used Reek to deceive them and later took over it for House Bolton. I don't think there has been any mention of House Reed since or its army.

18 minutes ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

Where the hell was Howland Reed and Meera?  The books indicate they live in the north in a bog on some sort of moving island... maybe next week they come in to supplement the norths forces?  

I think their location is somewhere to the south by the riverlands....

I wondered the same thing... they live in the swamps so I assume they're south of Winterfell but still... What's the name of their castle?

Maybe Meers figured she'd done enough even though that makes no sense considering all she's seen.  Or maybe she's gone insane.

41 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wondered the same thing... they live in the swamps so I assume they're south of Winterfell but still... What's the name of their castle?

Maybe Meers figured she'd done enough even though that makes no sense considering all she's seen.  Or maybe she's gone insane.

Greywater Watch is where Howland Reed resides. It’s, iirc, the most-southern location of The North built on a crannog, and most Northerners distrust/dislike “crannogmen”.

42 minutes ago, 69los said:

Meera kind of just pissed off after delivering Bran to Winterfell. Howland was only seen in Bran's Tower of Joy flashback I believe.

Moat Cailin was last seen when it was run by starving Ironborn and then Ramsey used Reek to deceive them and later took over it for House Bolton. I don't think there has been any mention of House Reed since or its army.

Moat Cailin is held by House Glover, not Reed iirc. Castle Greywater was unaffected by The War of the Five Kings as neither the Southerners or Iron Born could find it, with many sinking into and drowning in the bogs due to their heavy armor. :sun: