Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

Just now, Brick said:

I don't remember who this Glover guy is you speak of. 

The one who wouldn’t help Jon in the Battle of the Bastards, then apologized and knelt to him afterwards, pledging his fealty to House Stark “as his house has for a thousand years”. Then, when they contacted him this season he wrote back “nah”.

1 minute ago, Brick said:

I don't remember who this Glover guy is you speak of. 

He refused to help the Starks at the Battle of the Bastards, then apologized and said he would stand behind House Stark for a thousand years and was the second to proclaim Jon the King in The North. Then he connived to unseat Jon and throw in with Sansa... then he said fuck it, I'm not sending ANY help against the White Walkers. Don't know if he should lose his head, but he he should AT LEAST be forced to take the Black... does the Night's Watch even exist anymore?

Also do we know how many Houses were North of Winterfell? We know that The Umbers were the furthest North and they got Wiped out. I believe the Karstarks made it to Winterfell. The Manderly's are at the Coast, but I'm not sure if that's North of Winterfell. Winterfell itself is pretty far North. It's not that far from The Wall.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He refused to help the Starks at the Battle of the Bastards, then apologized and said he would stand behind House Stark for a thousand years and was the second to proclaim Jon the King in The North. Then he connived to unseat Jon and throw in with Sansa... then he said fuck it, I'm not sending ANY help against the White Walkers. Don't know if he should lose his head, but he he should AT LEAST be forced to take the Black... does the Night's Watch even exist anymore?

Also do we know how many Houses were North of Winterfell? We know that The Umbers were the furthest North and they got Wiped out. I believe the Karstarks made it to Winterfell. The Manderly's are at the Coast, but I'm not sure if that's North of Winterfell. Winterfell itself is pretty far North. It's not that far from The Wall.

Glover was the third to proclaim Jon the King in the North, after Mormont and Manderly. Winterfell is 600+ miles south of the wall. Since the undead came out of East Watch, if they moved straight towards Winterfell then the Last Hearth (the Umbar's castle) would have likely been the only place hit besides small towns along the way.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Glover was the third to proclaim Jon the King in the North, after Mormont and Manderly. Winterfell is 600+ miles south of the wall. Since the undead came out of East Watch, if they moved straight towards Winterfell then the Last Hearth (the Umbar's castle) would have likely been the only place hit besides small towns along the way.

Just a map, doing spoiler tag because it's kinda large in terms of file-size :p 

Spoiler

4ihfp8vp8dz11.png

I guess since The White Walkers are dead and the last of the wildlings are south of The Wall then there's no longer a need for The Night's Watch or even to rebuild the portion of the wall that was destroyed? @skillzdadirecta just got me thinking about it with his comment/question about if TNW even still exists. I mean, I doubt there are even any giant bears, dire wolves, or whatever else out that way anymore either, right (part of the wall's purpose was to keep those things out too)?

The show should end with a shot showing the broken portion of The Wall and a bunch of giant ice spiders crawling past :lol: 

They're mentioned as myth in both the show and the books. They haven't been seen yet in either but given how everything else that was supposedly myth turned out to be real, it's a safe bet they are too.

Give those Grumpkins and Snarks some love :daydream:

• Haha 1

I read through a bunch of reactions over at r/asoiaf and people are pissed. I think there are plenty of legit gripes to be had, I have a few myself, but people were really unhappy about how this episode went down. I think a lot of it is that some of these storylines tied up in ways that didn't match the expectations they've been building up in their heads for more than a decade.

11 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I read through a bunch of reactions over at r/asoiaf and people are pissed. I think there are plenty of legit gripes to be had, I have a few myself, but people were really unhappy about how this episode went down. I think a lot of it is that some of these storylines tied up in ways that didn't match the expectations they've been building up in their heads for more than a decade.

Which is why GRRM is so gun shy about finishing the books because I'm certain that what he intended is closer to what the show has done than he cares to admit.

Which is why GRRM is so gun shy about finishing the books because I'm certain that what he intended is closer to what the show has done than he cares to admit.

I think it’s odd that he cares so much what his fans think/want. Isn’t his goal with this series to basically give people what they don’t want or expect? :p 

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That wouldn't surprise me.

I also think that it just feels like an impossible task. I don't think he wants to gloss over things like travel times in the same way the show does. At this point, you kinda have to just handwave away how long it takes to travel anywhere in Westeros. Characters appear when they need to, and that's fine. I can't imagine trying to juggle all these storylines, make the basic logistics make any sense at all, and tell a good story.

I'd guess he told D&D some pretty basic outlines, but he didn't really know how he'd actually do it. So they're just kinda fudging things in order to mostly keep true to what he had told them.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I think it’s odd that he cares so much what his fans think/want. Isn’t his goal with this series to basically give people what they don’t want or expect? :p 

He gave Damon Lindeloff so much shit for how Lost ended and promised he would never treat fans they way he perceived Lost had done. He's VERY interactive with the fans, I think too much to be honest. That has to have an affect. I also think he was unprepared for how popular the show would become since he had basically never envisioned that the story would/could be told on the screen.

5 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

That wouldn't surprise me.

I also think that it just feels like an impossible task. I don't think he wants to gloss over things like travel times in the same way the show does. At this point, you kinda have to just handwave away how long it takes to travel anywhere in Westeros. Characters appear when they need to, and that's fine. I can't imagine trying to juggle all these storylines, make the basic logistics make any sense at all, and tell a good story.

I'd guess he told D&D some pretty basic outlines, but he didn't really know how he'd actually do it. So they're just kinda fudging things in order to mostly keep true to what he had told them.

Time definitely passes when characters travel... yes they cheat some, but time definitley travels. Look how much Little Sam has aged this season alone. I'd guess he's at least four now and Gilly should be giving birth to Sam's kid any day now.

And he definitely told them the broad strokes. They just had to get there on their own... for example

Spoiler

I could easily see Lady Stoneheart having a similar arc as Beric Dondarion in the books and sacrificing herself to save her children in death the way she couldn't in life... she may even save Jon Snow in some way to make up for being so shitty to him.

But honestly I think he's too focused on being "different" than the show and staying ahead of the fans who have pretty much figured everything out. We'll see but I doubt he finishes these last two books... there was even a rumor that another book was being considered in addition to the final two.

Or maybe this is all a big marketing ploy and both books will be out within a year of each other :p

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He gave Damon Lindeloff so much shit for how Lost ended and promised he would never treat fans they way he perceived Lost had done. He's VERY interactive with the fans, I think too much to be honest. That has to have an affect. I also think he was unprepared for how popular the show would become since he had basically never envisioned that the story would/could be told on the screen.

Time definitely passes when characters travel... yes they cheat some, but time definitley travels. Look how much Little Sam has aged this season alone. I'd guess he's at least four now and Gilly should be giving birth to Sam's kid any day now.

And he definitely told them the broad strokes. They just had to get there on their own... for example

Hide contents

I could easily see Lady Stoneheart having a similar arc as Beric Dondarion in the books and sacrificing herself to save her children in death the way she couldn't in life... she may even save Jon Snow in some way to make up for being so shitty to him.

But honestly I think he's too focused on being "different" than the show and staying ahead of the fans who have pretty much figured everything out. We'll see but I doubt he finishes these last two books... there was even a rumor that another book was being considered in addition to the final two.

Or maybe this is all a big marketing ploy and both books will be out within a year of each other :p

Side-point regarding Lost: the reason The Others are only referred to as White Walkers on the show is because Martin didn’t want people to confuse them with “The Others” on Lost... :lol: 

In regards to the spoiler tag:

Spoiler

I think Lady Stone Heart will give the breath of life and sacrifice herself to resurrect Jon. Him warging out and back in just doesn’t make sense to me. His body is still dead even if they sew up his wounds, right? I dunno. 

:shrug:

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Side-point regarding Lost: the reason The Others are only referred to as White Walkers on the show is because Martin didn’t want people to confuse them with “The Others” on Lost... :lol: 

In regards to the spoiler tag:

Reveal hidden contents

Hmmm actually 

Spoiler

It could be a combination of the two? He warged into Ghost, and LSH gets there a month or whatever later after hearing the news, gives her life to him, then he wargs back in so his mind isn’t destroyed like hers is...? :thinking:

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

As TLJ taught us, you can't ever match somebody's head-canon.

Just now, johnny said:

Yeah, it’s like the first time putting on glasses watching it again 

It even looks okay On Demand via Comcast now. It’s like the wrong version was given out/streamed on the air date, or they had the stream quality set to SD.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

It even looks okay On Demand via Comcast now. It’s like the wrong version was given out/streamed on the air date, or they had the stream quality set to SD.

If it ever gets released in 4K... WHEW