Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

Yeah the Wight heard the blood drop, not her. It was showing how quiet she was. Even quieter than a damn blood drop. And I don’t think she was screaming, she was making like an aggressive killing face but 100% don’t believe she screamed at all. You also get a sense of how fast she was moving and how close she got to the generals and they still didn’t see her. 

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Let's see... 

Arya spends YEARS training to become an efficient killer.

The Red Woman told her she would "close many eyes, brown, green and blue".

She uses the dagger that they tried to kill her brother with, the same dagger he gave her in that very spot, to save him.

She also snuck up on Jon in that very spot, with him being shocked that she was able to get that close to him without him knowing.

She used the same exact move on the Night King that she used on Breeane last season, with the same dagger.

She stabbed the Night King in the same exact spot where the Children of the Forest shoved the dragonglass in him to create him, his heart.

One of the first lessons in killing she learns is where the heart is, from The Hound, and she used that knowledge to kill Biter.

So yeah... her killing the Night King the way she did was forced and out of nowhere :rolleyes:

Wait, what dagger did she give Sansa? I thought Sansa had the catspaw?

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Wait, what dagger did she give Sansa? I thought Sansa had the catspaw?

She gave Sansa a Dragon Glass dagger, probably one of the spare points for the separating spear she had Gendry make her. It was also cool how she used that thing... when they were out in the open, she used it as a spear. When they got in close quarters, in the hallway's, she separated it so she could fight in tighter spaces.

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Arya can totally kill NK. I mean, she is literally the best killer. I just wanted Jon vs NK. I didn't get that. Like, I have been wanting this for years now. 

i wanted Jon to fight him too but I'm cool with what we got. The Night King clearly didn't give a shit about Jon. I would have liked more Night King to be honest... he was definitely one of the best on screen villains we've had in recent years and he doesn't say a thing :p I hope we get more information about him in the books... there are several theories but I'm fairly certain

Spoiler

He's a Stark.

The Night King dying was definitely not expected from me. I thought for sure our heroes would need to retreat somewhere to regroup and re-plan. I guess now they've lost a lot of their forces, and need to figure out how to take the throne from Cersei. 

It may have been a little too "Hollywood", but damn it that was an awesome episode, and fantastic fight. Even with the stupid compression issues. 

My issue with the Night King eating it has nothing to do with Arya as that moment feels earned, it's that a threat that's been biding its time for almost 10,000 years bites the dust because he personally had to be the one to kill Bran, exposing himself and therefor his entire species to extinction when a single prick from a weapon everyone in Winterfell has will kill him.  It's an amazing moment for Arya, one that feels totally earned for her personally that's somewhat undercut by the fact that it's an unfathomably stupid move for a character that has no real reason to make it.  There's nothing implied in a creature that's willing to be patient for an entire epoch to just suddenly throw caution to the wind when he has hundreds of thousands of chumps he could make do it instead while he just sips iced tea from the sky.

The disappointment in the Night King dying is no different than the disappointment when Little Finger died. The showrunners clearly don't have the genius that Martin has in his novels, and it's very obvious.

Unless Bran does something "time-travel"-ee in the next few episodes to bring NK full circle, I'm already feeling underwhelmed with it just being Cersei left...

7 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

The disappointment in the Night King dying is no different than the disappointment when Little Finger died. The showrunners clearly don't have the genius that Martin has in his novels, and it's very obvious.

Unless Bran does something "time-travel"-ee in the next few episodes to bring NK full circle, I'm already feeling underwhelmed with it just being Cersei left...

I'm glad it's back to humans v humans

21 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

My issue with the Night King eating it has nothing to do with Arya as that moment feels earned, it's that a threat that's been biding its time for almost 10,000 years bites the dust because he personally had to be the one to kill Bran, exposing himself and therefor his entire species to extinction when a single prick from a weapon everyone in Winterfell has will kill him.  It's an amazing moment for Arya, one that feels totally earned for her personally that's somewhat undercut by the fact that it's an unfathomably stupid move for a character that has no real reason to make it.  There's nothing implied in a creature that's willing to be patient for an entire epoch to just suddenly throw caution to the wind when he has hundreds of thousands of chumps he could make do it instead while he just sips iced tea from the sky.

We have to wait until next episode but I imagine we will get more information in the first part of the episode (it would be very weird if they moved on and didn’t spend time in the aftermath). There could be a reason the NK wanted (needed?) to be the one to kill the three eyed raven. 

But honestly way more interested in Cersei the true villain. 

9 minutes ago, johnny said:

We have to wait until next episode but I imagine we will get more information in the first part of the episode (it would be very weird if they moved on and didn’t spend time in the aftermath). There could be a reason the NK wanted (needed?) to be the one to kill the three eyed raven. 

But honestly way more interested in Cersei the true villain. 

There IS a reason and it was stated last episode. He wants to erase all life and the three eyed raven represents the shared memory of humanity so in addition to wiping out all life, he wants to wipe out the MEMORY of  humanity too. The Night King and the White Walkers were created as weapons... weapons that got out of control of their creators (the children of the forest) Their only drive seems to be to end life... they're more forces of nature than actual villains which would explain why they are so single mindedly driven including The Night King himself.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Is John Snowe fireproof, are all Targaryens or is it just Daenerys? I know her brother didn't do so well with molten metal but I'm not sure if that is a different rule or not.

John isn't fireproof... he burned his hand in the first season when he saved The Lord Commander from that Wight. I don't think all Targeryans are either... There's that story about the Targeryan who drank Wildfire because he thought it would turn him into a Dragon. it didn't work. Daenerys is and that could be due to the fact that Magic had reawakened in the world. She's also a 100% Targeryan while Jon isn't.

1 minute ago, Ricofoley said:

Somewhere in an alternate universe, the Blackwater episode was filmed with the budget that last night's episode had, and that episode is the best episode of TV ever filmed.

And what's funny is people talk about the brilliance of the books and how GRRM is such a student of military history... you non-book readers would get a hardy chuckle out of how the Battle of Black Water played out in the books. let's just say the show handled it much better and more plausibly :p

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

There IS a reason and it was stated last episode. He wants to erase all life and the three eyed raven represents the shared memory of humanity so i addition to wiping out all life, he wants to wipe out humanity too. The Night King and the White Walkers were created as weapons... weapons that got out of control of their creators (the children of the forest) Their only drive seems to be to end life... they're more forces of nature than actual villains which would explain why they are so single mindedly driven including The Night King himself.

We understand why the Night King wants Bran dead, the confusion comes from why the Night King gambled everything and lost so he could kill Bran himself as opposed to using any one of has many minions.  I mean shit, even if he personally had to do it, just make a daisy chain of a couple thousand of your corpse slaves to carry Bran's paralyzed ass far away from any danger and stab him in the middle of some forest or something.  The fucking children in Winterfell have dragonglass knives, it's the dumbest possible decision to go in there, and yet he does.

11 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

We understand why the Night King wants Bran dead, the confusion comes from why the Night King gambled everything and lost so he could kill Bran himself as opposed to using any one of has many minions.  I mean shit, even if he personally had to do it, just make a daisy chain of a couple thousand of your corpse slaves to carry Bran's paralyzed ass far away from any danger and stab him in the middle of some forest or something.  The fucking children in Winterfell have dragonglass knives, it's the dumbest possible decision to go in there, and yet he does.

What part of "Single mindedly driven" are you having a hard time understanding? You're looking at TNK like he's Lex Luthor or somebody when to me, he's more like The Terminator. Focused on a target and driven to kill it. It's not like he hadn't done this before. He did the same thing with the previous Three Eyed Raven.  It's pretty clear that he didn't regard anyone or anything as a threat to himself. For all we know he doesn't even HAVE a concept of self preservation.

LIke I said, from the Game of Thrones WIKI....

Personality

Sam: "What does he want?"

Bran: "An endless night. He wants to erase this world, and I am its memory."

— Samwell Tarly and Bran Stark on the Night King's motivations[src]

Little is known about his characteristics and traits before becoming the Night King, although he reacted with fear when Leaf plunged a shard of dragonglass into his chest. After becoming the Night King, he became nothing more than an emotionless killer with his only goal appearing to be to kill all in his path and add to his army, staying true to his nature as the first White Walker and being the ultimate embodiment of death.

• Thanks 2

I'll say it - The Night King should have gotten to Bran, grabbed him, and then those two and the entire army of the dead just dust away. Put them in some spin-off show with time travel and bullshit, and that way Snow and Dani's army is still fucked up, Cercei is still on the horizon, and no one feels cheated by such a simple NK death. Bran isn't now some useless stoic cripple you gotta figure out what to do with, and if you want Arya to still get in a good "bad-ass assassin" moment on NK, let her chop his arm off before the dusting, or something.

Then everyone wins.

8 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What part of "Single mindedly driven" are you having a hard time understanding? You're looking at TNK like he's Lex Luthor or somebody when to me, he's more like The Terminator. Focused on a target and driven to kill it. It's not like he hadn't done this before. He did the same thing with the previous Three Eyed Raven.  It's pretty clear that he didn't regard anyone or anything as a threat to himself. For all we know he doesn't even HAVE a concept of self preservation.

I'm pretty sure any attempts to ascribe any sort of rationality/logic to a...whatever the hell The Night King was...is a futile endeavor.  You absolutely described him perfectly as a "force of nature".

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

LIke I said, from the Game of Thrones WIKI....

Thanks, this makes sense to me

6 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm pretty sure any attempts to ascribe any sort of rationality/logic to a...whatever the hell The Night King was...is a futile endeavor.  You absolutely described him perfectly as a "force of nature".

Which makes perfect sense if the White Walkers really are intended to be some kind of metaphor.

I DID want to see Jon take Undead Viseron out Dragonborn style... all he ended up doing was standing up and yelling at him like an idiot :lol: 

Jon is NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer is he?

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And what part of "patiently waiting for 10,000 years" are you having a hard time understanding?  If he was single minded and driven to the point of stupidity, he'd have done this millenia ago.  If he had no sense of self preservation, he'd have died long ago banging his fists against the wall.  Of the admittedly little we know about the Night King, none of it points to him being this idiotically reckless.  Up until this very moment he's never put himself even close to direct danger, hanging along the outskirts and never once engaging in direct combat.  The closest he ever comes is throwing ice spears at dragons he knows can't hurt him.  

If they had showed the Night King as being impatient, or even willing to enter the fray directly up until now, then sure it makes some sense.  Instead, up until now he's been more than happy to let everyone else do the dirty work while he just watches from the sidelines, only once taking an active role from a distance when he's in absolutely no danger.  

2 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

And what part of "patiently waiting for 10,000 years" are you having a hard time understanding?  If he was single minded and driven to the point of stupidity, he'd have done this millenia ago.  If he had no sense of self preservation, he'd have died long ago banging his fists against the wall.  Of the admittedly little we know about the Night King, none of it points to him being this idiotically reckless.  Up until this very moment he's never put himself even close to direct danger, hanging along the outskirts and never once engaging in direct combat.  The closest he ever comes is throwing ice spears at dragons he knows can't hurt him.  

If they had showed the Night King as being impatient, or even willing to enter the fray directly up until now, then sure it makes some sense.  Instead, up until now he's been more than happy to let everyone else do the dirty work while he just watches from the sidelines, only once taking an active role from a distance when he's in absolutely no danger.  

Oh so i guess that episode where he walked into the lair of the three eyed raven that also had Dragon Glass and the people who actually created him didn't happen. Meera Reed killed a White Walker and he still strolled in there easy as you please. Why? To kill the pervious three eyed Raven. It was established THEN that he was always going to chase Bran. 

As to why he chose now to attack? Because again, for whatever reason, magic which had died in the world started to reappear and maybe that was BECAUSE of him or it enabled him to marshal his strength and mount a new attack. We don't know the reason, but what we DO know is that events at the time of the start of the series (books and TV show) were unlike what had happened the previous thousand years. Dragons were reborn, White Walkers reappeared, The Fire Priests powers and other magic users (like the Warlocks of Qarth) were suddenly increased... something happened that enabled all of these formerly mythological creatures to reappear. This is ALL stated in the show in previous seasons.

But whatever, I promised myself I wasn't going to get into any back and forths about this show this season and I broke my own promise :p Carry on... I'm out.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh so i guess that episode where he walked into the lair of the three eyed raven that also had Dragon Glass and the people who actually created him didn't happen. Meera Reed killed a White Walker and he still strolled in there easy as you please. Why? To kill the pervious three eyed Raven. It was established THEN that he was always going to chase Bran. 

As to why he chose now to attack? Because again, for whatever reason, magic which had died in the world started to reappear and maybe that was BECAUSE of him or it enabled him to marshal his strength and mount a new attack. We don't know the reason, but what we DO know is that events at the time of the start of the series (books and TV show) were unlike what had happened the previous thousand years. Dragons were reborn, White Walkers reappeared, The Fire Priests powers and other magic users (like the Warlocks of Qarth) were suddenly increased... something happened that enabled all of these formerly mythological creatures to reappear. This is ALL stated in the show in previous seasons.

But whatever, I promised myself I wasn't going to get into any back and forths about this show this season and I broke my own promise :p Carry on... I'm out.

The Night King walked into a room with three people in it, two of which could fight worth a damn and by the time he actually got to the three eyed raven, the only people with weapons were long gone because his army of zombies had chased them off.  He's not walking into a well prepared fortress with an army of soldiers.  

I'm not saying there's literally zero reason, I'm just saying it's not exactly a satisfying one because we generally know so little about him.

Just now, Ricofoley said:

If GRRM ever actually finishes the books, I think there's going to be a lot more complexity to the relationship between the walkers, the children of the forest, the three-eyed raven, and whatever other people/forces might be involved

I don't doubt it... I fully expect the Children of the Forest to play a larger role. We may even get a P.O.V. Chapter or two from one of them... but I doubt he'll ever finish the fucking books. A Dance With Dragons came out in 2011. Eight goddamned years ago. Kids have gone through high school and college since the last book came out.