Game of Thrones - Season 8 - Starting April 14th

TwinIon

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Yeah, this episode was hideous. I'm clinging to my old Panasonic plasma and it usually looks great when it comes to deep blacks, but this episode was trash. It looks like a combination of bad calibration and awful Comcast compression.

I’m glad it wasn’t just me. I also have a Panasonic plasma (2011 VT) and have been thinking about upgrading recently, and last night was “well looks like my TV finally shit the bed.”

I'm not mad that Arya is the one who took out the Night King, or even that it was relatively simple. What's frustrating to me is that it wasn't the plan to begin with, or that she didn't even seem to consider it until ol' Meli pops up to say  "Hey, remember that thing I said about blue eyes?"

3 minutes ago, legend said:

Maybe this is wrong, but I heard that if (when) Martin dies before he finishes the books, he's not allowing anyone else to.

I've heard that as well. But I don't know how enforceable that is after you die besides whoever you pass on the rights to. So say they go to his wife. When she passes away is there a single person alive who would honor that?

4 minutes ago, legend said:

Maybe this is wrong, but I heard that if (when) Martin dies before he finishes the books, he's not allowing anyone else to.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least, but I wager the reason for that is simply that he really has no idea whatsoever how to conclude the series, has no notes or outline for others to work off of, and is just too embarrassed for that to be found out.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

About the Jon not doing anything. Remember he did see the Night King harpoon a dragon in mid air from like a mile away. So maybe their was some hesitance to get them up in the air till they knew where they were?

Also where are the Knights of the Vale right now?

They were at the battle... you saw several shots of their sigil on shields. Most seemed to be under Breeane's command.

20 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

That wouldn't surprise me in the least, but I wager the reason for that is simply that he really has no idea whatsoever how to conclude the series, has no notes or outline for others to work off of, and is just too embarrassed for that to be found out.

He claims the ending was known before anything else, but who knows...

- Arya killing the NK is the most forced, lamest thing I've seen on TV in 2019.

- Was hoping Jon wouldn't be so useless 

- It's like Melisandre used her one special ability..... for nothing

- Brienne getting swarmed twice and not even taking damage? Ok.

- Can't see shit captain.

3 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

so i saw a comment somewhere that it looked like Sansa was going to off herself before the WW took her?  maybe i wasnt paying attention but i didnt notice that at all.  If so i guess ill rewatch later

She had the knife Arya gave her and I can see how people thought that's what she was going to do but I think she was resolving with Tyrion to go out fighting.

Yeah, I honestly thought that Sansa was going to kill herself and Tyrion kind of looking remorseful and teary didn't help.  It didn't look like resolve as much as resignation.  Given that neither of them has ever been really known for fighting, it's not a bad assumption to make.

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I remember hearing about how some musicians will try out sound mixes in their cars before finalizing the record, with the assumption being that's most people will be listening to it. You push it through the MP3 compression, plug it in with an AUX cable or use bluetooth compression as well, and see how it sounds "in the real world."

I feel like they don't go through a similar process on GoT, and they probably should. I have to imagine that when they were mastering this episode on their perfectly calibrated 4K monitors from the nearly raw source, it looked pretty good. They really should have a 2 year old $400 Vizio off to the side that they can watch it through the crazy compression algorithm that everyone will actually see. Movies are one thing, mastering it towards a theatrical experience, but for TV, even TV like GoT, they should take this kind of thing into more consideration.

If they did actually do that, it doesn't show.

Nothing about the look of the show was any good. The banding was the worst part of it. It was like I was looking at one if those MPG to GIF conversions. It was bad. I'm not even sure what kind of TV you'd need for that to look good.

14 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I knew someone here was gonna bitch about Arya being the one to kill the Night King. Surprised it took this long. 

Nothing about it was forced. They've been building toward this the entire series. The evidence is plentiful.

Nobody was going to beat the Night King in a one on one fight and teaming up on him would just havw to him calling on a horde of undead. Arya was, literally, the only realistic option there. It needed to be a sneak attack and that's exactly what she was trained to do. I'm sure everyone was expecting a long and drawn out fight between Jon and the Night King, but that doesn't make any sense. The Night King has no desire to play any such games or open himself up to such a fight. This was always going to be a fight that ended quick. Anything lasting longer than five seconds was going to favor the dead here.

3 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Also, Melisandre played her role. She's never been 100% accurate with her predictions, the show has gone to great lengths to show that. But she did her part here and it felt right with how it ended.

Every one of the named characters who perished last night had a "worthy" death that occurred as a direct result of fulfilling the role they were "destined" to play.

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Maybe I need to watch it again, because I didn't have much issue with the visuals. Yeah, it was dark, but I didn't feel like the picture was compromised. Maybe I was just really into what was going on.

There was a combination of bad visuals here. HBO released a bad cut and that was complicated by poor compression from carriers. Comcast in my area is pretty bad, so the image quality was horrid. If you get your HBO directly or from someone that isn't quite as bad as Const can be, then it wouldn't have been as bad.

Arya in library: hiding with slight drip of blood from wound

Random wight: I SENSE YOUUUU

Arya in Godswood: randomly jumps in screaming with a knife

White walkers and NK: the fuq?

But yeah, figured it had to be Arya to do it, but the white walkers were a huge letdown in the battle.

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

There was a combination of bad visuals here. HBO released a bad cut and that was complicated by poor compression from carriers. Comcast in my area is pretty bad, so the image quality was horrid. If you get your HBO directly or from someone that isn't quite as bad as Const can be, then it wouldn't have been as bad.

We have Comcast, but we streamed it through HBO Now. I really didn't have much issue. Maybe I'll notice something when I rewatch it.

1 hour ago, nublood said:

- Arya killing the NK is the most forced, lamest thing I've seen on TV in 2019.

- Was hoping Jon wouldn't be so useless 

- It's like Melisandre used her one special ability..... for nothing

- Brienne getting swarmed twice and not even taking damage? Ok.

- Can't see shit captain.

What a horribly unintelligent take you’ve got there captain 👍🏻

Let's see... 

Arya spends YEARS training to become an efficient killer.

The Red Woman told her she would "close many eyes, brown, green and blue".

She uses the dagger that they tried to kill her brother with, the same dagger he gave her in that very spot, to save him.

She also snuck up on Jon in that very spot, with him being shocked that she was able to get that close to him without him knowing.

She used the same exact move on the Night King that she used on Breeane last season, with the same dagger.

She stabbed the Night King in the same exact spot where the Children of the Forest shoved the dragonglass in him to create him, his heart.

One of the first lessons in killing she learns is where the heart is, from The Hound, and she used that knowledge to kill Biter.

So yeah... her killing the Night King the way she did was forced and out of nowhere :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Every one of the named characters who perished last night had a "worthy" death that occurred as a direct result of fulfilling the role they were "destined" to play.

This is entirely why the episode, despite having some high highs, was ultimately underwhelming for me. But this aspect was entirely lame and showed up a lot in this episode. The episode was good but man did it go full Hollywood blockbuster instead of constantly subverting expectations like Game of Thrones used to do. I can imagine a number of more interesting/cool ways this could have gone but every single time the show resorted to what you are calling out. It was honestly surprising to me. 

"Worthy" deaths coming as a direct result of fulfilling the roles they were "destined" to play is exactly the opposite reason for why Game of Thrones exists but it seems the show has been embracing this so far last season and this one. The Last Kingdom now does what Game of Thrones used to do which is why it has become more compelling to me than Game of Thrones currently is. 

42 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

Arya in library: hiding with slight drip of blood from wound

Random wight: I SENSE YOUUUU

Arya in Godswood: randomly jumps in screaming with a knife

White walkers and NK: the fuq?

But yeah, figured it had to be Arya to do it, but the white walkers were a huge letdown in the battle.

Yeah the Wight in the Library didn't "magically sense" her... it heard the blood drops hitting the floor. She was completely silent except for the blood dripping.