Dune - Official Thread of Spice, Sandworms, and Sleepers Awakening

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's probably gonna be 2024 when all is said and done :p

True.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

2023 seems impossibly fast!

Also I hope “this is only the beginning” is code for “we’ll stop before we get into the stuff Frank Herbert’s son wrote.” :p

Not as fast as it would be if they produced them together/back-to-back :p I'm just sour that it's going to be a while because the studios weren't willing to going all in on it from the beginning.

59 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I appreciate how Legendary more or less gives away the entire game. We said we wouldn’t greenlight it without a bunch of cash, and you little piggies paid up!

I won’t lie. In all likelihood I was seeing this in theaters no matter what. But I heard part 2 was performance based? Then I was 1000% making sure I was there opening weekend haha

3 minutes ago, legend said:

Not as fast as it would be if they produced them together/back-to-back :p I'm just sour that it's going to be a while because the studios weren't willing to going all in on it from the beginning.

I think it sucks too, but again, it probably makes sense given the previous ROI on Denis’s other movies.

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I think it sucks too, but again, it probably makes sense given the previous ROI on Denis’s other movies.

True, but that in turn is just as frustrating.

Granted, on the scale of things about the world that frustrate me, this is pretty low :p 

4 hours ago, Chris- said:

I appreciate how Legendary more or less gives away the entire game. We said we wouldn’t greenlight it without a bunch of cash, and you little piggies paid up!

Hell yeah I paid! Paid for AMC A-List, that is. $20 a month got a whole lot easier to justify when this IMAX ticket was $17 on its own. :p

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Denis has previously stated that he'd be only willing to go as far as Dune Messiah if given the opportunity.

Well, he didn't say that kind of. He said that's all the energy he'll have initially. I think he'd want to adapt the other 4 books, but definitely not Herbert's son's stuff. 

Very happy to hear about the greenlight for the sequel! Also Denis has separately said he is ready to shoot right away in 2022, he wants to go. So 2023 doesn't seem impossible.

As to the updated title, I didn't register the use of either "jihad" (as per the books) or "crusade" (which I believe was used in the trailers). I recall a reference to a "holy war" and that's it.

Personally, I'm fine with that. Both words have a lot of baggage that different viewers will bring with them, so a generic term is fine by me.

4 hours ago, TwinIon said:

As to the updated title, I didn't register the use of either "jihad" (as per the books) or "crusade" (which I believe was used in the trailers). I recall a reference to a "holy war" and that's it.

Personally, I'm fine with that. Both words have a lot of baggage that different viewers will bring with them, so a generic term is fine by me.

Yep, just holy war, which works perfectly fine with me. The movie more than makes clear all the Arabic/Middle Eastern stuff, as it should.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

As someone who has seen dune, but not read it, and seen all the star wars, they really aren't that alike. It is like apple vs pear. Seem pretty similar, taste pretty different. 

If the only thing you knew about either movie was space and tatooine you might say they were the same movie.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brick said:

If anything wouldn't Star Wars have taken inspiration from Dune since the novel predates it by over a decade? 

No because Frank Herbert had a prescient vision of Star Wars while under the influence of spice melange. He committed a Time Crime and stole the idea from the future.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I believe George Lucas has admitted as much that he was among many other things inspired by Dune in some ways.

Yes, Star Wars pretty much  ripped off Dune, Dune came first.

Bene Gesserit = Jedi's 

The Voice = The Force 

Freman = Rebels/Sand People

Rugged Sci-Fi theme 

Arrakis Desert Planet = Tatooine 

Paul/Luke = young chosen one/Hero's journey 

Both have manipulating Emperors 

Sand worms = kryat dragon (was nod to dune)

Though agree, completely different stories, but Star Wars did 'borrow' a lot of ideas from Dune.

Herbert was heavily influenced by Seven Pillars Of Wisdom  

Lawrence-of-Arabia-Dune.png?fit=1200%2C+
WWW.TOR.COM

At first glance, Frank Herbert’s Dune (1965) might appear to be a mere copy of the story of Lawrence of Arabia with some science-fictional window dressing. Several critics have pointed to the simil…

And perhaps even more influenced by The Sabres Of Paradise even going as far as cribbing some lines from it

"Herbert also lifted two of Dune’s most memorable lines directly from Blanch. While describing the Caucasians’ fondness for swordplay, Blanch writes, “To kill with the point lacked artistry.” In Dune, this becomes “[k]illing with the tip lacks artistry,” advice given to a young Paul Atreides by a loquacious weapons instructor. A Caucasian proverb recorded by Blanch transforms into a common desert aphorism. “Polish comes from the city, wisdom from the hills,” an apt saying for a mountain people, becomes “Polish comes from the cities, wisdom from the desert” in Dune."

thesabresofparadise.jpeg
LAREVIEWOFBOOKS.ORG

Frank Herbert’s “Dune,” an enduring science fiction classic, owes much of its mythology to “The Sabres of Paradise,” an undeservedly forgotten history....

Its fine playing 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon with pretty much all art due to its incestuous nature as long as people dont get all wrapped up in it.

Yeah, I really liked it too... It didn't bowl me over or anything, but they really did a good job with some challenging material. I almost wish it was a TV show, so they had more time flesh everything out. There's a lot to cram in there.

For shits and giggles we put on the 1984 Dune right after and wow... it looks so unbelievably bad. This came out after the Star Wars trilogy? It looked more like a movie from 1974 than 1984. We didn't watch the whole thing, we were just jumping around...

3 hours ago, ort said:

For shits and giggles we put on the 1984 Dune right after and wow... it looks so unbelievably bad. This came out after the Star Wars trilogy? It looked more like a movie from 1974 than 1984. We didn't watch the whole thing, we were just jumping around...

Make you wonder where the budget went. Dune 1984 had a higher budget than Return of the Jedi.