Dune - Official Thread of Spice, Sandworms, and Sleepers Awakening

Fucking amazing and lived up to the hype. Part one was good but felt a little underwhelming because it was all setup. From minute one of pt 2 I was mesmerized and I couldn’t look away for 3 hours. For me personally I knew I was hooked because I didn’t get up to pee once.

• Hugs 1
  • Hype 2

• 3 weeks later...

I finally saw it too. It's great as expected. I think the box scene in part 1 is still my favorite scene though.

It really feels like it needs Dune Messiah though. The end brings closure to the main arcs, but I feel like it more clearly signals that there is more to say about this story than the ending of the book did. I mean, it's been more than 20 years since I read the book, but my memory of that was it felt complete, even though I knew there were more books. In contrast, the movie feels like it has more to say about the burden Paul takes on and the cost of it to the world that was not resolved.

15 hours ago, Brick said:

Saw it last night at long last and it's spectacular! I want a full cut of both movies. Whenever I get a 4K player this will probably be one of the first UHD discs I get. 

Fun fact: I bought the 4k disc at Best Buy for like $10 on a whim and it's what convinced me to upgrade the majority of my favorite movies collection to 4k discs.

6 hours ago, legend said:

I finally saw it too. It's great as expected. I think the box scene in part 1 is still my favorite scene though.

It really feels like it needs Dune Messiah though. The end brings closure to the main arcs, but I feel like it more clearly signals that there is more to say about this story than the ending of the book did. I mean, it's been more than 20 years since I read the book, but my memory of that was it felt complete, even though I knew there were more books. In contrast, the movie feels like it has more to say about the burden Paul takes on and the cost of it to the world that was not resolved.

Dune Messiah has been confirmed. They already have a script. :)

EW.COM

Legendary confirmed that they are developing a third 'Dune' movie with Denis Villeneuve, fulfilling the director's dream of adapting Frank Herbert's novel 'Dune Messiah.'

8 minutes ago, NeoJoe said:

Dune Messiah has been confirmed. They already have a script. :)

EW.COM

Legendary confirmed that they are developing a third 'Dune' movie with Denis Villeneuve, fulfilling the director's dream of adapting Frank Herbert's novel 'Dune Messiah.'

Oh I happily already know that :) I was just commenting that it feels like we need it!

• Like 1

Even though I've loved Dune for a long time and read the book multiple times, I've never read any further in the series. I finally decided to pick up Messiah and it was very much not what I expected.

Spoilers for Messiah:

Spoiler

With all the talk of Paul's villainy and Herbert wanting to "correct" Dune from being a straightforward hero's journey, I expected something quite different. I thought I'd be reading about how Paul had chosen the jihad over some much more peaceful version of the future. While his choices are difficult, I don't think it's made clear to readers that he's making evil choices.

I also felt like basically nothing happens in the first 3/4 of this book. There's a big climax at the end, after which I could probably reverse engineer a movie arc, but in my mind it would need to diverge significantly from the book, at least in where it spends time.

One big problem is that Paul spends the entire book perseverating over a choice that we don't really understand at all until the end. There's a lot of that in Dune as well, but it's at least partially mitigated by Paul not really having the information himself. So he's getting flashes and we're a bit clued in to know that he doesn't really want to start a war. In Messiah he knows much more and the audience knows much less. Some of that works in service to the final reveal, but I think the film would probably need to give us more context.

Given how well Part 1 and 2 turned out, I'm excited by the idea of Villenuve's Messiah, but the book is far less cinematic than the first.

2 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Even though I've loved Dune for a long time and read the book multiple times, I've never read any further in the series. I finally decided to pick up Messiah and it was very much not what I expected.

Spoilers for Messiah:

Hide contents

With all the talk of Paul's villainy and Herbert wanting to "correct" Dune from being a straightforward hero's journey, I expected something quite different. I thought I'd be reading about how Paul had chosen the jihad over some much more peaceful version of the future. While his choices are difficult, I don't think it's made clear to readers that he's making evil choices.

I also felt like basically nothing happens in the first 3/4 of this book. There's a big climax at the end, after which I could probably reverse engineer a movie arc, but in my mind it would need to diverge significantly from the book, at least in where it spends time.

One big problem is that Paul spends the entire book perseverating over a choice that we don't really understand at all until the end. There's a lot of that in Dune as well, but it's at least partially mitigated by Paul not really having the information himself. So he's getting flashes and we're a bit clued in to know that he doesn't really want to start a war. In Messiah he knows much more and the audience knows much less. Some of that works in service to the final reveal, but I think the film would probably need to give us more context.

Given how well Part 1 and 2 turned out, I'm excited by the idea of Villenuve's Messiah, but the book is far less cinematic than the first.

There's an incredible amount of scheming and world building in the first 3/4's of Dune Messiah that I don't think should be ignored, but yes it's not an action adventure yarn but something quite different. I think there are a lot of interesting angles one could take with the adaptation, so long as the core story (and reveals) remain.

12 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

There's an incredible amount of scheming and world building in the first 3/4's of Dune Messiah that I don't think should be ignored, but yes it's not an action adventure yarn but something quite different. I think there are a lot of interesting angles one could take with the adaptation, so long as the core story (and reveals) remain.

I'm not that worried about the plot, I think that Villeneuve will figure out how to adapt it well. My main concern is actually that Jason Momoa won't have the chops to play Hayt. 

• True 1

On 4/15/2024 at 5:52 PM, Greatoneshere said:

I suppose the way I was thinking about it is that everything in that first 3/4’s of Messiah is the exact kind of stuff that was left out of Villeneuve’s adaptations. The movies don’t get bogged down in explanations of mentats or the politics of CHOAM or the specifics of Imperium or Fremen customs, and those kinds of things dominate the early pages of Messiah.

Which isn’t to say that Messiah needs to be made just like Part 1 & 2. It could and perhaps should be a very different kind of movie.

Spoiler

On 4/16/2024 at 5:57 AM, CitizenVectron said:

I'm not that worried about the plot, I think that Villeneuve will figure out how to adapt it well. My main concern is actually that Jason Momoa won't have the chops to play Hayt. 

Yeah, I think that’s a valid concern. I think Momoa was a good choice for his Duncan, but Hayt would be a challenge. I think Villeneuve will find a way.

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I suppose the way I was thinking about it is that everything in that first 3/4’s of Messiah is the exact kind of stuff that was left out of Villeneuve’s adaptations. The movies don’t get bogged down in explanations of mentats or the politics of CHOAM or the specifics of Imperium or Fremen customs, and those kinds of things dominate the early pages of Messiah.

Which isn’t to say that Messiah needs to be made just like Part 1 & 2. It could and perhaps should be a very different kind of movie.

Yeah, I think that’s a valid concern. I think Momoa was a good choice for his Duncan, but Hayt would be a challenge. I think Villeneuve will find a way.

"Ah, I see you Bene Tleilax have cloned by beloved Duncan...but why does he now look like famed actor Walter Goggins, from the Golden Age of Earth?"

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

While I definitely don't want these movies to get bogged down in world building, it would be nice for general audiences to get more exposure to these things and terms, whereas the first few movies kept the weird to the edges of the narrative.

4 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

While I definitely don't want these movies to get bogged down in world building, it would be nice for general audiences to get more exposure to these things and terms, whereas the first few movies kept the weird to the edges of the narrative.

Fuck general audiences. They get their hands held in enough stuff. This shit is for us haha

• Haha 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

This interview in the NYT is short and well worth a read. I hadn’t realized that the quote at the beginning of the first film was spoken by a Sardaukar priest.

But you also deeply love the book. So when you make these bold changes, do you feel like asking Frank Herbert for forgiveness?

Yes. There’s so many darlings that you kill. An adaptation is an act of violence.

• Thanks 1