Dune - Official Thread of Spice, Sandworms, and Sleepers Awakening

34 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Think I might go see this again. A few moments have stuck with me and I need to see them again:

• Worm riding
  • War council
  • Final scene

Pauls entrance to the war council has stuck with me big time 

Just got home, absolutely incredible shit. It’s simply thrilling to watch something this well executed on such a large scale. It doesn’t happen often these days. 

One small thing I want to shout out: I love how almost every actor in these movies is using more or less their normal speaking voice, but then Austin Butler swings in doing a delightful Stellan Skarsgård impression. 

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Just sitting here waiting on @Commissar SFLUFAN impressions 👀

What could I possibly add to what has been said already other than I was utterly engrossed and captivated for its entirety! I've rarely experienced nearly three hours simply melt away like that in any form of entertainment medium! This film is truly one of the pinnacles of visual/auditory filmmaking for which only the movie theater experience can truly satisfy! :clap:

While the film certainly ends relatively conclusively, there's little doubt that the stage is set for Part 3 (Dune Messiah) should the powers-that-be grant Denis his wish, especially with the foreshadowing of Paul's dark future.  Also,

The film's (apparently) significant deviation from the book's ending involving Chani's relationship with Paul is something that I'm curious as to its resolution in Part 3.

• Hugs 3

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

What could I possibly add to what has been said already other than I was utterly engrossed and captivated for its entirety! I've rarely experienced nearly three hours simply melt away like that in any form of entertainment medium! This film is truly one of the pinnacles of visual/auditory filmmaking for which only the movie theater experience can truly satisfy! :clap:

While the film certainly ends relatively conclusively, there's little doubt that the stage is set for Part 3 (Dune Messiah) should the powers-that-be grant Denis his wish, especially with the foreshadowing of Paul's dark future.  Also,

The film's (apparently) significant deviation from the book's ending involving Chani's relationship with Paul is something that I'm curious as to its resolution in Part 3.

Funny you should mention that. 

Spoiler

Walking out I said to my wife that I didn’t remember Chani being so much of a moral compass for Paul nor did I remember him coming off so dark. You were absolutely rooting for his revenge in the book.

Then yesterday I saw an interview with Denis where he said Herbert is in record as being disappointed with people’s initial reaction to Paul seeing him as a hero. He was definitely intended to be an anti-hero. Which he corrects with how Paul is portrayed in Dune Messiah. So Denis said with that prior knowledge he wanted to kinda fix that in the films. So he brings forward that relationship and their portrayals from Messiah to make it more clear in Dune.

Honestly I think that choice works brilliantly.

• Halal 1

It’s really really great. Without knowing how they’re gonna set some things up for Dun3, the only small nitpicks I might have is that there’s a touch much too much time spent with the non-Jessica spice girls, and the movie ends with perhaps a little too much of a whimper. But that’s a book sin too IMHO so whatever. 

I feel like almost all the changes made from the book are smart. And it’s wild to see that some people say that this movie specifically is still a white savior narrative… like Jesus Christ short of a Blazing Saddles / Holy Grail ending where Denis shows up, breaks the fourth wall and says, “saviors are bad hon hon hon” right into the camera I don’t know what else he could have done. Chani getting more screen time is smart and Zendaya really crushes it. Everyone does, honestly. There’s not a bad performance to be had other than maybe Christopher Walken who’s… just kind of there? Anyway whatever, give Javier Bardem awards, please. He’s awesome here. 

I think the reason that these movies and LotR are so successful is that they’re not afraid to be very “about” the material while not being afraid to adapt it. LotR really leans into the fellowship aspect of the characters and those vibes are a non trivial part of why those movies endure. I dunno if Dune(s) will have the same lasting power, but if they do, I think it’ll be because they’re not afraid to be bold and lean into the parts that have broad appeal (sword fighting and worm surfing are cool) while also embracing the specific theme that messiahs are bad, actually. It’s also why stuff like The Witcher and the Snyderverse, for me, don’t work. The vibes in those are often good, but the reasons those characters endure is discarded as baggage in the case of the DC stuff, or in The Witcher… there just wasn’t enough time spent on making sure that anything made any fucking sense. In Dune it doesn’t matter that Paul didn’t inherit some coffee cups and Chani when he killed Janis; how they adapted it makes sense in the movie and has the added benefit of not equating a woman with pottery. 

Anyway this is great and everyone should see it. Unless you haven’t seen Dune 1, this is not an accessible sequel :p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

There’s not a bad performance to be had other than maybe Christopher Walken who’s… just kind of there?

I feel like in the book the emperor was mostly a dude to whom Paul happens, and Walken really captured that most insignificant galactic ruler energy.

• Haha 1

Great little video on how Dune is edited to evoke sensory feelings, often through establishing shots that are not wide, but rather on people touching things in the world. Definitely fits in with Denis' vision of movies being about sight and sound, and not about dialogue. 

• Thanks 1

Just got back from seeing it a second time. This thing is such a

masterpiece. Couple things that stood out that hit me harder on the second watch. Paul/Chani’s “theme”. God what a beautifully powerful piece of music that is. And thinking ahead to Dune Messiah, it really embodies their whole relationship so well. 

Soeaking of Dune Messiah. 

Spoiler

The foreshadowing between Chani and the Princess in that final scene. The standout being the scene when everyone kneels except the two of them and you have the shot from behind Chani of Paul and the Princess standing next to each other. Cut to the Princess eyeing Chani and knowing what she’s up against there. So damn perfect. 

And somehow the War Council is even better and more powerful the second time? I got watch that scene on a loop for hours. 

Please for the love of god give us a single cut extended edition of these movies together. I’ll never ask for anything ever again. 

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

10 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Just got back from seeing it a second time. This thing is such a

masterpiece. Couple things that stood out that hit me harder on the second watch. Paul/Chani’s “theme”. God what a beautifully powerful piece of music that is. And thinking ahead to Dune Messiah, it really embodies their whole relationship so well. 

Soeaking of Dune Messiah. 

Hide contents

The foreshadowing between Chani and the Princess in that final scene. The standout being the scene when everyone kneels except the two of them and you have the shot from behind Chani of Paul and the Princess standing next to each other. Cut to the Princess eyeing Chani and knowing what she’s up against there. So damn perfect. 

And somehow the War Council is even better and more powerful the second time? I got watch that scene on a loop for hours. 

Please for the love of god give us a single cut extended edition of these movies together. I’ll never ask for anything ever again. 

I know that Villeneuve doesn't believe in director's cuts, and I do understand since at this point he has almost full creative control of his films (and should forever). However, while I understand not releasing DCs of Part 1 and Part 2...I do think it would be very cool to release a DC of them combined, especially including some stuff we know was cut. If you no longer have to worry about pacing in the traditional sense, adding another 10-20 minutes wouldn't be a huge deal for a 5.5-hour movie. 

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I know that Villeneuve doesn't believe in director's cuts, and I do understand since at this point he has almost full creative control of his films (and should forever). However, while I understand not releasing DCs of Part 1 and Part 2...I do think it would be very cool to release a DC of them combined, especially including some stuff we know was cut. If you no longer have to worry about pacing in the traditional sense, adding another 10-20 minutes wouldn't be a huge deal for a 5.5-hour movie. 

Im not sure if we ever got any kind of confirmation of what scenes were shot and cut in the first one. Did he actually film the banquet and then cut it? But we know Tim Blake shot his scenes as Count Fenring. Would be a crime to never get to see that. 

That was pretty good, it rules that Denis decided to follow Nolan's footsteps and charm studios into letting him make arthouse popcorn flicks. And even though there are a lot of differences from the book, all of the differences stay true to the essence of the source material - almost like Herbert got a better editor five plus decades ago (and maybe did less shrooms). Just ordered a copy of Messiah so I can read that ASAP.

17 minutes ago, best3444 said:

First one worth watching? I know absolutely nothing about ths series.

You mean Dune Part 1? The two movies are a single story, so you need to watch the first before the second. And yes, the first is amazing as well.

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

You mean Dune Part 1? The two movies are a single story, so you need to watch the first before the second. And yes, the first is amazing as well.

Yea, I meant Dune part 1. Ok, I have this in my top 3 picks right now. Thanks 

Great video with Hans Zimmer on how he created the score for Dune Part Two (which imo is the best film score in over a decade):

Also confirms at the end that he's been working on Dune: Messiah's score since the second day of filming for Part Two.