Dune - Official Thread of Spice, Sandworms, and Sleepers Awakening

7 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Is this thread back to being about Dune yet? Or is the single nerdiest argument of all time still raging?

An observation I've made through the course of my life is that nerd culture eventually becomes mainstream culture, so this would just mean we're ahead of our time :p 

13 hours ago, ort said:

Nothing is less interesting to me than arguing about what genre or sub-genre something belongs in. I mean, zzzzzzz... who cares. My nerd friends do this all the time, and it's like, seriously people, who fucking cares? It's all so pedantic and utterly pointless.

The argument wasn't really about the genre, but whether it was gate keeping to call it something other than "science fiction" and the history of genre :p 

As for arguments over classification in general, I'll give you an honest answer if you actually want one. First, I don't think anyone should "argue" and fuss over it too much, but the reason to introduce different classifications really just comes down to the utility of the language and the goal of the conversations. The reason you might parse "science fiction" further is the same reason you parse "science fiction" from "literature." You want to convey something about the kind of work it is. And that's important because different people have different preferences about literature. Some people, for example, would actively not enjoy very hard sci-fi--the kind that tries to teach you physics while telling a story--while others may love that.

There is something characteristically different about "space operas" and what was suggested to be "space fantasy" from other kinds of novels, and while many of us like all of them, we often like them for different reasons and may prefer them at different times depending on our mood.

In this case, if you haven't already read Dune, it's useful to communicate what kind of story it is to help you set expectations and decide whether you'd like it.

So there's my honest answer to what was probably just a rhetorical question :p 

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Thanks for posting in the Dune thread totally regular guy and not nerd.

Lol again, all I did was proclaim the argument to be ultra nerdy and off topic for the thread. If that’s something you feel is worth taking offense over, that seems like you issue. Have a blessed day 😁

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I really don't care but keep acting like YOU don't care, it's fun!

Imagine lacking the confidence to just talk about whatever you want and instead having to wait for others to talk about the thing you want to? 

I still think it's helpful to learn the difference between genre and sub genre. Of course sci-fi itself is a broad term, but that's why have terms like hard and soft sci-fi etc. But the broader genre categorizations are mostly used for organizational purposes in either libraries or video shelfs. They aren't designed to tell the reader/viewer whether this story will be for them or not.

45 minutes ago, legend said:

An observation I've made through the course of my life is that nerd culture eventually becomes mainstream culture, so this would just mean we're ahead of our time :p 

Everyone who knows me wouldn't classify me as a nerd at all... until the see my room :p They're actually shocked that I'm into the stuff I;m into. I would tell girls all the time that I'm probably the "coolest nerd you would ever meet" :p Wu Tang clan pretty much sums up my whole vibe as those guys come from a similar background as me and are into a lot of the same shit. (Minus the drug dealing)

3 minutes ago, Komusha said:

I still think it's helpful to learn the difference between genre and sub genre. Of course sci-fi itself is a broad term, but that's why have terms like hard and soft sci-fi, just as a small example. But the broader genre categorizations are mostly used for organizational purposes in either libraries or video shelfs. They aren't designed to tell the reader/viewer whether this story will be for them or not.

It's also helpful to know the genres and sub genres if you ever want to create this type of fiction yourself. It helps to know that Star Wars is a mixture of science fiction and fantasy (mostly fantasy) and Star Trek leans more into pure science fiction. Helps you with world building and establishing consistent rules in your fictional universe.

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed Dune and will definitely be seeing it again on the nicest screen I can. This is very much Dune by way of Blade Runner 2049, which is very much what I was both expecting and hoping for. Both play in a aesthetic arena, sharing similar visual, auditory, production design, and pacing. 2049 stands out for me as one of my favorite films since its release, but I know not everyone shares that opinion.

As an adaptation there's very little else I could have hoped for. They spent the lot on an amazing cast, and it pays off in every scene. I don't think there was a single character that felt out of place. Chalamet in particular is excellent as a brooding Paul. After a first viewing, there isn't anything that was cut or shortened that I take issue with. Some characters that I enjoy from the novel are given short shrift, but even for a Part 1, sacrifices must be made.

The production design is a stand out accomplishment that, at times, threatens to overwhelm the rest of the film. It's appropriately spartan, but immense and dense and shoulders the eons of history that Dune is burdened with.

I'll consider it further after another watch (or two), but overall I'm extremely happy with Dune Part 1. I wish it was the whole story, but that's not a surprise. The only other real criticism that I have is that I seldom felt the heat of Arrakis. They talk about it a lot, as it would be impossible not to, but so often we see characters treat the sunlight so casually. They're not racing to keep their masks on and we don't see the toll the temperature should be taking on people. The film is generally successful in showing more than telling, which is quite the accomplishment in an adaptation from a book that constantly wants to tell you everything, but when it came to the heat of Dune, I feel like it was a lot more telling and very little showing. I hope the second part can do better to make you understand the harshness of the environment and further highlight the necessity of water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got tickets to see it in an RPX theater at 4pm today. I’m psyched out of my mind. I feel like I’ve been waiting my whole life for this movie lol. The fact that this adaption and a Wheel of Time adaption are arriving within a month of each other is pure overload for my teenage nerdom 😂

So im tired and don’t wanna write three paragraphs tonight. But that was absolutely incredible.  An absolutely brilliant adaption. I couldn’t believe that while I was sitting there watching the movie, it was envoking that exact same vibes and tone and emotions that I get from reading the book. Not just that you get sad at the same part or angry at the same part. But he managed to recreate the actual tone of the book. At least in my experiences reading it. 

It looks incredible. I saw it in an RPX theater that has the subwoofers in the seats and HOLY SHIT was that worth the extra money. The score and music are fantastic. 

As for the ending. I’ll say it def ends in a place where if you didn’t know there was a part 2 you’d think “uhhh what the fuck?” But it also didn’t just end suddenly and out of nowhere. They place they stopped is almost exactly where I thought they would. And I do think there’s an aspect to Paul’s story that does finish a single movie arc. I’m honestly not sure how he could have ended it any better. 

I pray to god this does well and they let him finish it as it would be an absolute crime to finish this piece of art. Can’t wait to watch it again at home tomorrow. Annnnd I wrote 3 paragraphs anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TwinIon said:

This is very much Dune by way of Blade Runner 2049

2049 is in my top 5 movies of all time. Never read Dune, but wanted to watch it because of the director. This is very good news for me. Sucks that part 1 stops at such a bad spot, apparently, but I'll watch it now just to pump those numbers.

i thought that was pretty awesome 

denis is soooo fucking good at making movies. have never read the book or saw the old movie so didn’t really know what to expect. the voice stuff was pretty cool and i loved the aesthetic of everything from outfits to those thopter things. really cool. i enjoyed it from start to finish. if they don’t make a part 2 i will be thoroughly upset.  

the advertising led me to believe that 

Spoiler

Zendaya was going to be one of the main characters of this movie so was kinda bummed about that, but it seems like she will in part 2. 

For everyone that hasn’t read the books. In regards to the ending. My wife didn’t read the book and was completely satisfied with the ending and didn’t think it ended abruptly or in a bad spot. It absolutely needs its part 2 but in terms in the technician craft of how and when to close out a movie, it ends well. Personally I was expecting an ending like the finale of the Sopranos where it was going to be really sudden and leave you with “wait wtf, that’s it???” And it doesn’t do that.