Dune - Official Thread of Spice, Sandworms, and Sleepers Awakening

Watched last night... I think it's a compliment when you say the only bad thing is it ended and I want part II now. I hope it does well and we get to see it someday.

Makes me want to go back to the scifi mini series and rewatch.

It's beautiful to watch, all the actors are great and communicate more than they say. I could see the Masses not enjoying, it's not at the same pace as modern movies, but for an old Dune fan, I loved it.

Knew very little about Dune going into this - and REALLY enjoyed it. A friend has repeatedly recommended the book, but I never bit. The music was fantastically overwhelming. It matched the setting & sense of scale so well.

Been reading up on a few things not covered by the movie, but present in the book (at least up until the point covered in the film).  Why Spice, no technology, Houses, etc.  Fascinating.

Time to go rewatch BR2049 again...just because.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied by this adaptation, especially in terms of scale, grandeur, characterization, and generally hitting the necessary beats of the novel.

The one scene from the novel whose omission I do regret is

Spoiler

the dinner party thrown by the Atreides shortly after their arrival on Arrakis.

That scene is impressive in how deftly and subtly it analyzes and describes the motivations and machinations of the characters.  However, I can definitely understand its exclusion from the film as it involves a significant amount of internal dialogue and features characters that are simply not part of the core part of the main narrative.   My understanding is that a version of the dinner party scene was filmed, but ended up on the cutting room floor, probably for the reason I stated above.

Contrary to what I honestly thought going in to the film, I don't think that any relatively thoughtful viewer who didn't read the book would have that much trouble grasping the plot and the players.  As it turned out, the exclusion of the more expository/introspective elements of the novel shouldn't matter all that much for overall comprehension for someone unfamiliar with the source material because the streamlining for purposes of the script really did a fine job of presenting the essential elements.

I also really do believe that the film ended at a natural "break point" so it wasn't nearly as jarring as I expected it to be either.

I think it's safe to assume that Part 2 will be greenlit so that's something to look forward to in 2024/2025 :p

13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I also really do believe that the film ended at a natural "break point" so it wasn't nearly as jarring as I expected it to be either.

From what I remember from the book, I haven't read it in a few years, this is where I was expecting it to end.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Would be very surprised if this doesn’t get a part 2, and maybe even an HBO Max series of some sort in the future.

IMDB does list a Dune tv show under Villanueva’s upcoming projects. Of course anything on that site comes with a grain of salt because it’s user generated. But still. There’s a TON of lore to explore from those novels and if Foundation is doing well for Apple maybe HBO will want it’s own space show(I’m not starting up the Dune genre debate again haha). 

So a number 1 opening, WB’s best opening alongside HBO, Villanueva’s best opening, and I think I read it’s doing well overseas? Gotta be safe to assume Part 2 gets the go ahead at this point right?

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

IMDB does list a Dune tv show under Villanueva’s upcoming projects. Of course anything on that site comes with a grain of salt because it’s user generated. But still. There’s a TON of lore to explore from those novels and if Foundation is doing well for Apple maybe HBO will want it’s own space show(I’m not starting up the Dune genre debate again haha). 

So a number 1 opening, WB’s best opening alongside HBO, Villanueva’s best opening, and I think I read it’s doing well overseas? Gotta be safe to assume Part 2 gets the go ahead at this point right?

dune-bene-gesserit.jpg?w=1000
VARIETY.COM

WarnerMedia's streaming service has given a straight-to-series order to the sci-fi project "Dune: The Sisterhood."

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Overall, I'm quite satisfied by this adaptation, especially in terms of scale, grandeur, characterization, and generally hitting the necessary beats of the novel.

The one scene from the novel whose omission I do regret is

Reveal hidden contents

the dinner party thrown by the Atreides shortly after their arrival on Arrakis.

That scene is impressive in how deftly and subtly it analyzes and describes the motivations and machinations of the characters.  However, I can definitely understand its exclusion from the film as it involves a significant amount of internal dialogue and features characters that are simply not part of the core part of the main narrative.   My understanding is that a version of that scene was filmed, but ended up on the cutting room floor, probably for the reason I stated above.

Contrary to what I honestly thought going in to the film, I don't think that any relatively thoughtful viewer who didn't read the book would have that much trouble grasping the plot and the players.  As it turned out, the exclusion of the more expository/introspective elements of the novel shouldn't matter all that much for overall comprehension for someone unfamiliar with the source material because the streamlining for purposes of the script really did a fine job of presenting the essential elements.

I think it's safe to assume that Part 2 will be greenlit so that's something to look forward to in 2024/2025 :p

Came to post almost this exactly. The only other thing that was a little bit of a bummer was Dr. Yueh, but I appreciate that there’s only so much time to dedicate to some of this stuff. I did appreciate the extent to which House Atreides’ paranoia was represented by the guards getting bent out of shape whenever someone got physically close to someone else, given that long range assassinations are hard in this setting. 

The only two “visual” things that were weird in an otherwise visually lovely movie… I agree with whoever said Arrakis didn’t look hot. Paul just walking around the grounds in a full wool suit probably didn’t help :p Also the subtitles when people were speaking were occasionally not clear about who could understand what was being spoken. And MAYBE one or two many poignant moments stung with BWAAAHS

But yeah it’s quite good. 

EDIT - Interesting that all references to jihad were removed but they stuck with calling Jessica a concubine. 

On 10/23/2021 at 9:10 PM, SpoonSpatula said:

Knew very little about Dune going into this - and REALLY enjoyed it. A friend has repeatedly recommended the book, but I never bit. The music was fantastically overwhelming. It matched the setting & sense of scale so well.

Been reading up on a few things not covered by the movie, but present in the book (at least up until the point covered in the film).  Why Spice, no technology, Houses, etc.  Fascinating.

Time to go rewatch BR2049 again...just because.

Your post actually nudged me towards going to see it this week. I was kind of worried I wouldn't understand shit because I haven't read the books so I was a bit on the fence despite loving Villeneuve's work so far. 

This is a pretty thoughtful article by a Muslim writer that primarily deals with the novel, but it's definitely worth posting here:

Dune-Pennington-header.png?fit=1200%2C+9
WWW.TOR.COM

It is common knowledge that Frank Herbert’s classic Dune novels are chock-full of Islamic and MENA (Middle Eastern and North African) references.  However, as a Muslim reader, I have long maintaine…

While many embrace Dune’s Muslim influences, there is a strong contingent of readers who, I believe, have misunderstood them as linguistic costumery or, at most, intriguing non sequiturs largely irrelevant to the series’ substance. From this perspective, they are seen as orientalist garnishes. For instance, one of the 2021 film’s screenwriters, Jon Spaihts, stated that Herbert’s use of such terms was little more than exotic corsage.  Similarly, a conlanger for the film, David J. Peterson, wrote that the novels’ Islamic terms are simply pulled verbatim from Arabic, without accounting for inevitable changes thousands of years into the future.  As I will discuss in this essay’s conclusion, these perspectives seem to have influenced the disconcerting absence of MENA or Muslim creatives both before and, perhaps more importantly, behind the cameras of the latest adaptation. Meanwhile, even positive interpretations of the novels tend to focus on the origins of particular words and passages rather than their relevance to the saga’s deeper meanings.

Comments and interpretations like these conflict with my experiences. I find the books’ engagement with Islam to transcend linguistic wordplay and obscure intertextuality. After all, Herbert was fascinated by linguistics and believed words shape substantive meaning. The use of “Voice” by the Bene Gesserit, an order of imperialist superhuman female breeders, is a prime example of this, as is the saga’s running obsession with symbols and myths. As these semiotic tools wield tremendous power within the Dune universe, Herbert’s references likewise generate a profound “Muslimness” that goes beyond mere orientalist aesthetics. (This is not to say that the Dune novels are not orientalist in other ways, which I have detailed elsewhere.) Dune does not cheaply plagiarize from Muslim histories, ideas, and practices, but actively engages with them.

On 10/23/2021 at 4:56 PM, TheLeon said:

TLDW: This man is a long time fan of the book, and is very good at his job. 

This was a really well done scene in the movie. When the switch in Paul flips, it's beautifully acted by both actors: Paul's expression and the Bene Gesserit's reaction to him.

This was a lovely, beautiful, excellent adaptation of Dune. Honestly, the best I could ask for except the absolute need for a Part 2. I also lament the lack of a dinner scene and wish we could have gotten more Dr. Yueh and Liet-Kynes, but honestly that film is about as best as you could ask for from an adaptation of the first half of Dune. 

Really enjoyed it overall. Definitely was something I was super hype for and this mostly met that. They really need to bring on part two. It seems to be doing pretty well so far, $100 million away overall until break even it seems (though obviously the breakdown is more complex than that).

Spoiler

I am used to visions and prophecy being true in a much more literal way. Not in the way of the message coming true and not the events. I took it as a Jesus Christ moment for Paul and not cut my hair and change my name moment. Not a metaphorical rebirth. More like a Jon Snow situation. I am just so not used to these types of visions. I am used to them being 100% accurate but events after the vision ends changes its meaning or the visions are 100% accurate but leave out key information to trick the viewer.

None of that is a complaint, I just have other expectations due to what I am familiar with. Like, I thought Duncan was still alive even after the movie ended because of Paul's vision. He wasn't dead because he was alive living with the whatchamacallits. That's just how future visions play out in my brain.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:
  Hide contents

I am used to visions and prophecy being true in a much more literal way. Not in the way of the message coming true and not the events. I took it as a Jesus Christ moment for Paul and not cut my hair and change my name moment. Not a metaphorical rebirth. More like a Jon Snow situation. I am just so not used to these types of visions. I am used to them being 100% accurate but events after the vision ends changes its meaning or the visions are 100% accurate but leave out key information to trick the viewer.

None of that is a complaint, I just have other expectations due to what I am familiar with. Like, I thought Duncan was still alive even after the movie ended because of Paul's vision. He wasn't dead because he was alive living with the whatchamacallits. That's just how future visions play out in my brain.

Some small spoilers about Paul’s potential but those should get addressed very very early in the next movie so not total spoilers. 

Spoiler

Something the movie doesn’t make super clear because Paul is t 100% there yet. What he has the potential to become isn’t just a visionary, it’s not just his future he can see it’s ALL possible futures as well as all pasts. He becomes omnipotent. That could be why they inserted conflicting/confusing visions. There’s also one of the Fremin he kills in that duel telling him he’ll be his teacher. 

It’s a bit confusing the first time you read the book as well so don’t feel bad it came off kinda convoluted  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Yeah I think the movie does make it clear that Paul is still learning (he can’t use the voice consistently) but that doesn’t always play nicely with how the audience would perceives vision / dream since those are usually portrayed as correct.

right. I think the movie is trying to portray the visions to be as confusing to the viewer as they are to Paul. So they def succeeded haha

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dune (22 October 2021) - Official Thread of Spice, Sandworms, and Sleepers Awakening - update: THE JIHAD SHALL BEGIN (PART 2 CONFIRMED!)
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dune (22 October 2021) - Official Thread of Spice, Sandworms, and Sleepers Awakening - update: THE JIHAD SHALL BEGIN (PART 2 CONFIRMED - OCTOBER 2023 THEATRICAL WINDOW)
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Dune - Official Thread of Spice, Sandworms, and Sleepers Awakening, update: THE JIHAD BEGINS (PART 2 CONFIRMED - OCTOBER 2023 THEATRICAL WINDOW)