Kevin McCarthy poised to lose first-round vote for Speaker for the first time in a century | Update: McCarthy "wins" Speakership in the FIFTEENTH round...on a technicality

My family in Trinidad is having a bloody good laugh at all of this.

As per my half-brother:

Six Republicans should threaten to vote for Jeffries.

Then people could watch Bobert, Gaetz et al try and explain how their actions ended up giving away the h

House…😊

Could only be topped by them electing Trump…

GOP NE Rep-elect Bacon:

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The pro-McCarthy side, there's anger out there right now. There's the chaos caucus, the Taliban 19, Taliban 20...There's anger because we negotiated in good faith and gave a lot more than we ever wanted.

Let's what Matt "Taliban" Gaetz had to say in response:

Bacon refers to me as the “Taliban”

Well….as hurtful and false as that is….I too am prepared for an extended battle that I will ultimately win.

The notion that a moderate "compromise candidate" even exists is such farcical nonsense that anyone who even remotely suggests it should never be taken seriously ever again.

And if such a person did actually exist, then I would question their sanity for wanting to voluntarily jump into this pit of vipers.

Thankfully, the Democrats appear to be fully aware of this reality as well.

28 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The notion that a moderate "compromise candidate" even exists is such farcical nonsense that anyone who even remotely suggests it should never be taken seriously ever again.

And if such a person did actually exist, then I would question their sanity for wanting to voluntarily jump into this pit of vipers.

I agree that there isn't a magical "compromise candidate" that the Democrats should push for, but I do wonder how far they've pushed things like keeping the ethics committee around. I have the feeling that McCarthy doesn't want to become speaker by striking a deal with the Democrats, but if he's willing to listen it seems like there are a few worthwhile things the Dems could propose.

41 minutes ago, legend said:

Sounds good to me. I'm nearly 40 and still pretty in touch with gaming culture :p 

No you're only as old as the last time your model was deployed and only in touch with how much training data we allowed you to have. Now go back and finish your homework in your jupyter notebook. :devil:

10 minutes ago, chakoo said:

No you're only as old as the last time your model was deployed and only in touch with how much training data we allowed you to have. Now go back and finish your homework in your jupyter notebook. :devil:

Psh I almost never work in Jupyter notebooks :p My code bases are too big and complex. Even when I'm processing results I usually just work in a scratch file.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yeah, there's a 95% chance this ends with McCarthy as Speaker. Sounds like the biggest Super PACs are already putting pressure on the holdouts tonight.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I agree that there isn't a magical "compromise candidate" that the Democrats should push for, but I do wonder how far they've pushed things like keeping the ethics committee around. I have the feeling that McCarthy doesn't want to become speaker by striking a deal with the Democrats, but if he's willing to listen it seems like there are a few worthwhile things the Dems could propose.

Democrats would be dumb to make a deal with McCarthy, because he will break it the second he is actually speaker.

48 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

I say they play chicken. McCarthy should call for a vote to make it a plurality instead of majority. It'll force the Freedumb caucus to step in line or let Jefferies win.

That would be a reason for Democrats to vote against it though, the fact that forcing the situation and a plurality vote happening encourages the holdouts to vote for McCarthy to prevent Jeffries. 

9 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Who were the no shows at the vote?? 

Also, hello, FEC violation?

spacer.png 

This is what MSNBC was referring to:

They’re saying now on MSNBC that the two biggest GOP Super PAC’s have stepped in and put pressure on the Never Kevin’s and that’s what may have spooked the 20 Rebels. That this is now looking slightly more positive for McCarthy now.