Kevin McCarthy poised to lose first-round vote for Speaker for the first time in a century | Update: McCarthy "wins" Speakership in the FIFTEENTH round...on a technicality

Isn’t the magic number 4? Like, as long as there are 4 hard no’s he can never win unless the dems lower the threshold by sitting out? Getting down to 7 is something but doesn’t really change much.

I think him winning is an inevitability, but I’m enjoying the shit show. 

• Halal 1

• Jason changed the title to Kevin McCarthy poised to lose first-round vote for Speaker for the first time in a century | Update: McCarthy loses THIRTEEN rounds of voting in a row
21 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

The House Republicans have become the most Magical Girl Sinema without actually saying her name in a mirror 3 times that they can become. 

Magical Girl Sinema and President Manchin very wisely declined to deal with the debt limit in the lame duck session because they said they wanted it to be a bipartisan vote. 

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

RDT_20230106_1038287035251038009435025.j

Why would he quit?  There’s no viable alternative, the freedumb idiots are slowly falling in line and the more media spotlight they get the worse it’s going to be.  He has to go through a week or two of annoyance and he’ll get the job he wants and this entire thing will be a historical footnote and nothing more.  

8 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Why would he quit?  There’s no viable alternative, the freedumb idiots are slowly falling in line and the more media spotlight they get the worse it’s going to be.  He has to go through a week or two of annoyance and he’ll get the job he wants and this entire thing will be a historical footnote and nothing more.  

Until these idiots cause us to default due to the debt ceiling or vote to have 2983 different speakers over the next 2 years.

At this point, let's just get this over and done with so we can finally get a sense of the "real" unmitigated disaster that this lunatic fringe-controlled House will surely portend.  I stopped being even moderately amused by this about eight votes ago and now just find it annoyingly boring/boringly annoying.

Just tip the bandage off and get on with it.

• True 2

28 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

At this point, let's just get this over and done with so we can finally get a sense of the "real" unmitigated disaster that this lunatic fringe-controlled House will surely portend.  I stopped being even moderately amused by this about eight votes ago and now just find it annoyingly boring/boringly annoying.

Just tip the bandage off and get on with it.

So you’re wanting to go and skip ahead to the point where Don Bacon becomes the coalition Speaker

2 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

How many people are needed to trigger a new speaker vote?

It's based on a call for vote from 1/3 of state delegations, which means anywhere from 20ish to 80ish house members, depending on the states and makeup of the delegations*

*this is entirely made up, but sounds like it could be true, because that's how dumb the American rules are for this stuff 

Just now, Jason said:

now look here buddy

In fairness, Canada has some weird math for some stuff (e.g. to amend the constitution in most cases you'd need seven provinces to approve, but they need to also need to hold 50% of Canada's population. So you could have three provinces with 60% of the pop and fail, but eight provinces with 51% and succeed), it's just generally not as wonky and arcane.

21 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If we are to believe the reporting of the "deal" with the loonies: 

One.

Right, but the part I don’t get is HOW that provision gets put into place.  Do they call a vote for speaker with that provision a necessary part of the victory, or would he personally have to put that rule in place after he’s the speaker?  I guess my point is what, if anything procedurally, is stopping him from making those concessions then telling them to eat his entire ass the moment he wins?

2 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Right, but the part I don’t get is HOW that provision gets put into place.  Do they call a vote for speaker with that provision a necessary part of the victory, or would he personally have to put that rule in place after he’s the speaker?  I guess my point is what, if anything procedurally, is stopping him from making those concessions then telling them to eat his entire ass the moment he wins?

That provision will be part of the Rules Package that will be voted on after he wins the Speakership and the House members are sworn in.

In fact, that could very well happen in the wee hours of tomorrow morning:

Per Sarah Ferris:

House gearing up for Rules package votes tonight if KM is elected.

Important note: Rs have made only *one* change in the Rules text for tonight, per multiple sources. This is motion to vacate. 

Rest of McCarthy convos with conservatives is a handshake agreement

Some members have been told there could be 90 mins of debate, followed by 3 votes on rules themselves. 

One told me "best case" scenario might be 3 am

House Republican rules package:

—1 member can force vote to overthrow Speaker
—changes PAYGO to CUTGO
—constrains debt limit end-runs
—3/5ths vote to raises tax rates
—allows 2-min votes
—72-hrs for bills
—dynamic scoring
—EdLabor —> Education & Workforce
—new COVID select cmte

PDF: