Kevin McCarthy poised to lose first-round vote for Speaker for the first time in a century | Update: McCarthy "wins" Speakership in the FIFTEENTH round...on a technicality

• Jason changed the title to Kevin McCarthy poised to lose first-round vote for Speaker for the first time in a century | Update: McCarthy loses FIVE rounds of voting in a row
Just now, SaysWho? said:

If I'm not mistaken, voting present may lower the threshold needed, but I'm still trying to see how that would help him since Jeffries is getting more votes.

Voting present does lower the threshold required. So if the dems stay firm Jeffries would win when the numbers get low enough.

11 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

If I'm not mistaken, voting present may lower the threshold needed, but I'm still trying to see how that would help him since Jeffries is getting more votes.

It doesn't help McCarthy to have his own votes switch to present. And even the Gaetz crew switching to present only helps Jeffries as long as he's the top vote getter. 

• Jason changed the title to Kevin McCarthy poised to lose first-round vote for Speaker for the first time in a century | Update: McCarthy loses FOUR rounds of voting in a row
  • Jason changed the title to Kevin McCarthy poised to lose first-round vote for Speaker for the first time in a century | Update: McCarthy loses FIVE rounds of voting in a row

Will be interesting to see who grows tired of the circus first. Reminds me of something like Risk where you get down to just two players and you’re just too evenly matched on income, so the end game becomes a grind you just want to be over